Shocker of the Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Shocker of the Season

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for your warm welcome, doris, and Jeremy's flying pigs story. :)

Yeah, I agree; anything is possible in life, so why not in the figure skating world. :biggrin:
My heartiest congratulations to all skaters who have improved their skating, proved they can be something, and accomplished a certain levels/points/standings/judges' love (or whatever) up in the new season so far! :clap:, especially to Kaetlyn Osmond and Tatsuki Machida both beating the reigning world medalists!! :rock: As ayways, my biggest respect and appreciation to all skaters in the world who work so hard everyday in and everyday out! :yay:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for your warm welcome, doris, and Jeremy's flying pigs story. :)

Yeah, I agree; anything is possible in life, so why not in the figure skating world. :biggrin:
My heartiest congratulations to all skaters who have improved their skating, proved they can be something, and accomplished a certain levels/points/standings/judges' love (or whatever) up in the new season so far! :clap:, especially to Kaetlyn Osmond and Tatsuki Machida both beating the reigning world medalists!! :rock: As ayways, my biggest respect and appreciation to all skaters in the world who work so hard everyday in and everyday out! :yay:

Such high class, deedee. Thank you!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meanwhile another shocker: The winners of the junior dance at Ice Challenge of Graz are Demirsal & Akalin of Turkey! :cheer: over two young and relatively unknown Russian teams.

Did you ever think you'd see that! I'm thrilled to death (they train in CT).

Wow, how exciting! I love seeing new countries show up on the podium. Remember how excited we were about Tugba Karademir, even though she never medaled that I can recall. Now Turkey has medalists. I'll have to learn more about them.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Turkey has another gold medalist recently at Crystal Skate. Osman Akgun won junior men event with total score of 146. Congratulations to both Osman and Cagla&Berk!

Macassar88

Medalist
Another shocker - (at least to me who was expecting Mary Poppins)
The Shibs are using Missing as their SD. (Duchesnay's signature, IMO, FD)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
senior men have completed

1 Peter Liebers GER
2 Douglas Razzano USA
3 Armin Mahbanoozadeh USA

The website is not yet updated

wishonastar

On the Ice
Meanwhile another shocker: The winners of the junior dance at Ice Challenge of Graz are Demirsal & Akalin of Turkey! :cheer: over two young and relatively unknown Russian teams.

Did you ever think you'd see that! I'm thrilled to death (they train in CT).

How wonderful to see Turkey do so well at this competition. Who is the coach for Demirsal/Akalin?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
True. But with Gracie 2nd & Agnes third, and no Russian lady on the podium, that was a shocker!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Kiira winning was a surprise, but it wasn't that shocking. She won TEB before. And she was skating with a bunch of kids. She should stand out.
The shocking part is the fall of Kanako. This girl used to be the darling of the skating world. Gang busting out of junior, ready to be the next Mao. Now, she couldn't even medal at a GP event.

I said years ago, the Russians aren't so good. So what if they can do 3x3 at 12. Try doing 3x3 with breastplate and asspadding. OMG, I should totally consult the Russian coaches, make them wear breasts and asses while practicing and competing. See how competitive they are. :) They can probably eliminate most of the hyped up wannabes.

I even said if Kostner can do her typical 4-5 triples cleanly, none of the Russians would come close.

And Kiira does have a triple-triple, which is more than can be said of most American ladies currently skating. Thanks for reminding me of her earlier TEB gold, FlattFan. I was trying to remember whether she had won an international event before.

Don't give up on the Russians yet, though. They still have a few years to straighten themselves up, whether for this Olympic cycle or the next one.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Olympia, Gracie has a very consistent 3lz3t, and did 3F3t last year (though she has a slight lip she needs to fix, and which is being called consistently this year). Agnes does a 3t3t very consistently. And Christina Gao did a 3T3T in the SP (but not in the long) at SKAM. The only top US lady who doesn't consistently try a triple triple of some sort is Ashley.

In juniors, Angela Wang does a 3lz3t2t in the LP & 3Lz3T in the SP, Barbie Long does a 3lz3t in the SP, and 2A3t and 3lz3t in the LP. Leah Keiser tries a 3lz3t in both the SP and LP, but typically UR's the 3T. Courtney Hicks attempts a 3f3t, but the 3t was underrotated.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... The only top US lady who doesn't consistently try a triple triple of some sort is Ashley. ...

And we should stay tuned, per Ashley Wagner's recent espnW blog:
"Next it’s off to Paris for my second Grand Prix, the Trophée Eric Bompard in mid-November. It’s going to be a tough competition with a bunch of younger Russian skaters, and I’m going to have to be really strong. I’m working on adding a triple-triple combo to my short and long programs, and I feel like if I can get that in both it will make me competitive against these girls. I have a lot of work ahead of me, though."
http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/2271/a-great-start-my-season

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ash, I wish you wouldn't. Get the easy bronze & go to the GPF. Try the 3/3's there.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If she can hit as she did at SKAM, even if others skate well, she should get a bronze, worst case.

Here's who's there:

It is, on the whole, quite a strong field.
Ashley's score at SKAM was 188.37, which is better than all these ladies' best. However, you have to allow for some home cooking of scores; back it off by 5 points, and she still has a good shot of winning, or at least getting a bronze, if she skates as at SKAM. If she adds a 3/3, chances are, the 3t will be dinged for underrotation anyway, if she doesn't fall on it, since it is an element she hasn't been doing lately.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if I'm shocked about W/P not making GPF - as after their first competition a lot of knowledgeable posters suggested it would be hard for them to make it, but I am so disappointed!

I think I am still shocked by the Canton coaching break up! And, sadly, I've seen so little skating but it was shocking to read that Chan came in second and Hanyu's amazing SP was a surprise too. I think most shocking was to read about the Rippon/Song crash - these things happen, of course, but this one seemed particularly dramatic and I felt so bad for both of them, but especially Song.

A good shock/surprise was Gao - way to go!