Coaching Changes | Golden Skate

Coaching Changes

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I've been out of the loop for awhile, can anyone fill me in on the coaching changes for Sasha and Michelle Kwan? reasons for the change and info on Michelle's coach, who is he and has he coached in the past? Thanks!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
MK's new coach used to be Sasha Abt's coach for years. He and MK have worked together before over the years on a tempory basis whenever she needed additional help with her jumps.

The official story from both team Cohen and team TT thus far is that Tatiana's health problems caused the break-up. The web is rife with specualtion on the "real" reason, so just swing a cat and you'll hit more info.

windspirit

On the Ice
No one knows the actual reason for Sasha/Tarasova split (it might've been a couple of things). There's been a lot of speculation.

- Sasha skated in a cheesefest, against Tarasova's advice (the only fact in this)
- Sasha's schedule was a killer to Tarasova (who's not 20 anymore, and not so healthy, either)
- Tarasova wanted to go with her student to Russian Nats + visit her mom and family in Russia
- Sasha's mom got a little too involved in the whole coaching process

Etc. If you check a few threads about it (just scan the titles of the threads on the last, say, 3-4 pages), you'll find this and more.

Michelle went to Arutunian to work on her jumps. Rafael Arutunian is a former Alexander Abt's coach. Here you can read more about him:
http://www.icecastle.us/coaches/coaches.html

(Edited to add: I didn't see BG's post when I wrote mine)

Last edited:

Seonaid920

On the Ice
thanks for the info,

After watching Robin and Sasha interact last night, Sasha has reached the age where she wants someone to help her but not tell her what to do.

It reminds me of when Michelle left Frank, except lucky for Sasha she was able to find a good match (it seems) quickly.

Whatever the reason, I am happy for Sasha and Robin and I hope it works out. She was wonderful in the short program, lets hope it continues!!

Same to Michelle, I hope her new coach will help her with her jump combinations. She will need them with the new scoring system.

Jhar55

Medalist
Did anyone else notice, was Sasha's makeup a little different. She just had a different look last night.

I didn't notice it, Jhar, but I wouldn't be surprised. As I understand it, Robin has two stepsons and she used to talk about Sarah feeling almost like a surrogate daughter. Sarah always looked so together in terms of hair, costume, and make-up, but still natural. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the "bonding" process between Robin and Sasha was a little make-up help from Robin. Probably fun and nice for both of them--if it happened. I'm just guessing.

BTW, re sayings, when Paul Newman wanted Robert Redford to play the Sundance Kid in the 1968 film "Butch Cassiday and...", the producer was against it, thinking Redford was just another "Hollywood blond." "Throw a stick in this town and you'll hit six of them," the producer said. Wrong on that one, but loved the language.
Rgirl

Pati

On the Ice
NansXOXOX said:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by berthes ghost
.........so just swing a cat ......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't heard this is a coon's age. :laugh:

Nan

Something this cat lover could have done without.:\

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Pati said:
Something this cat lover could have done without.:\

No offense intended, it's just that with the language I hear from the young people all around me lately (ya' know?), it's fun to re-hear some of the more colorful, older expressions.

Nan