Most mortifying moments for someone skating? | Golden Skate

Most mortifying moments for someone skating?

Johar

Medalist
I think it was Brian Boitano or Kurt Browning who forgot their routine and just sorta.....quit.

I saw a gal on TV lose part of her top.

The ice dancer Barbara Fusar Poli giving her partner, Maurizio Margaglio a staredown in Turin.

Johnny Weir when he had two bad falls and had to withdraw. The 2nd time he crumbled on the ice and did not get up for a bit..

Tonya Harding having to stop to relace her boot. We were watching and saying, "oh, boy, here we go again."

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
How about Odas's boot.

But then i was wondering about Joubert and abbotts recent hand slashing incidents but is that mortifying?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would think falling when you're just trying to hang on a win a gold medal as a favorite, like Michelle in 2002 and Irina in 2006. Also when a male pairs skater drops his partner and she gets hurt.

Johar

Medalist
How about Odas's boot.

But then i was wondering about Joubert and abbotts recent hand slashing incidents but is that mortifying?

What happened to Odas's boots? What happened to Jouberts hand?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
This happened to two skaters in the 90's--

At Nation's Cup, Ivan Dinev's blade broke during warmup.
At a practice, Katarina Witt's whole blade came off midjump. She landed on the boot. She didn't jump for weeks.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
At the Olympics, Oda's laces split and he had to get new ones/retie them.

Joubert cut his hand at the Moscow Worlds LP, but did quite well overall.

Honestly, I think drivingmissdaisy has it - any time a pair fall/injury happens and it's the guy's fault. Dube/Davison at 4CC 2007 and Totmianina/Marinin at the 2004 Skate America - I can't imagine the trauma the guy must feel (in the case of Totmianina, she claimed she didn't remember what happened and that made it easier for her to go back on the ice, but he considered quitting. Davison forced himself to watch tapes of that accident repeatedly to get over the trauma as well).

Oleg Shiliakov and Elena Berezhnaya was another one, but he never seemed mortified by it.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was Oda's laces at the Olympics! Not boot per se.

Joubert was explained.

How about the incident of duhamel breaking radfords nose?!?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yags at the 2001 Goodwill Games when his face connected with the boards out of a jump... BAM!

D/D's blade to teh face inciddent...

Melissa Gregory lost the top of her dress at nationals in... 2001? 2002? after extra beading had been added and so it weighed it down more and once that rotational lift started the ladies popped out...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I don't injuries are mortifying, unless the circumstances are really funny and the injury very not serious. That rules out all the hand and face-slashing incidents.

OTOH, Rubleva's dress malfunction at 2009 Euros is a good example, and she was certainly very embarrassed when it happened.

S/P had a very funny fall at the end of their SP in SLC, but if they were mortified, they certainly covered it well.

I would be mortified to do some of the ice dance lifts, but I guess that's just me.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
T and M 's epic and horrendous fall; I thought she might have had a brain injury the way she fell and Dsquared's blade to the head were perhaps some the scariest moments I can remember. Tanja Sawchenko crashing into Oksana Baiul at the Olympics was scarey - I wasn't sure if either girl would skate the free skate; some of Leonova's costumes and S squared's tribute to Jackson pollock on a canvas of spandex have created nightmares for me. Oh and Elena B's blade stuck in head was just nightmare on ice.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I also thought of trankov needing to get his Sleeve cut because his arm was swelling and then he was skating with a sleeve all cut up and on the Eurosport coverage Nicky skater was all "it's like he's the hulk"

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't injuries are mortifying, unless the circumstances are really funny and the injury very not serious. That rules out all the hand and face-slashing incidents.

Maybe it's just a definition then, because I wouldn't call anything mortifying if it was really funny/not serious.

mskater93

Record Breaker
There was a skater at Regionals or Sectionals (male) who's blade detached at the beginning of his program. He finished the program on one skate doing little but power pulls and other one foot skating. Luckily, there were only 4 and he just had to kind of skate around for the program time to move on to the next qualifying level.

Tonya Harding's dress mishap on a 3Lz was mortifying. The snap on the shoulder holding it up "snapped" as she launched into the jump and the dress exposed a lot of Tonya...

The adult Elan Synchro team was another where the shoulder strap of a dress snapped and her team mate on that side grabbed it during the final block sequence and the circle without it being apparent to anyone other than the two of them until right after the end pose when the skater herself grabbed it.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Maybe it's just a definition then, because I wouldn't call anything mortifying if it was really funny/not serious.
I guess we do have different definitions, because when I see something like the D/D accident or Totmianina being dropped by Marinin, I don't think "how mortifying", I think "OMG, how awful/painful/scary". I just don't see these things as embarrassing or humiliating, though I can see how the male partners might feel guilty. But that's not the same at all.

OTOH, injuries like those listed here and here are generally fall into the mortifying category for me. I mean, if you have to miss games because you can't survive a teammate's high-five or do not have proper pie-slamming technique, that is mortifying indeed. Although some of these doesn't fit my "not serious" criteria. I'll amend, then: nothing life or career threatening, and not injuries that happen in standard ways, because if it can happen anytime, what's so mortifying about it?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Stepping on the ice with guards on the blades. Could happen to anyone (though not at any time), but kind of a "duh!" moment when it happens, so I would consider it mortifying.

I agree that mortifying doesn't include anything resulting in a serious injury. Moves or incidents that cause embarrassment are mortifying. Fusar-Poli's glare of death at Margoglio comes under the category of mortifying, I'd say. And man, was it unforgettable.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I wouldn't say mortifying, but an embarrassing moment would be Valentina Marchei's poorly (depending how you look at it)-timed fall at the short program at 2007 Worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlDr-bv-Ko&t=02m50s

Julia Lautowa had a similar incident in 2003. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIy94L5Y0iw Go to 3:59 in the clip.

Then there was 2004 Worlds when Michelle Kwan took to the ice for her FP when some guy in a tutu and no shirt came on to the ice and delayed the start of her performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zir_Bj7Dw8E It must have been especially unnerving since she had endured a deduction in the SP for ending her program after the music was finished.