Record Breaker
Tweets from Evan Lysacek ‏@EvanLysacek

First day back on the ice today!!!
9:41 PM - 5 Nov 12

Rough day.
9:41 PM - 5 Nov 12​

skateluvr

Record Breaker
i wish you well evan-u work so hard-it won't be easy but your determination is a good thing-bless your effort. not always my fave but someone i respect.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope he takes the matters very easy for a while and will start full training a bit later and real slowly. Welcome back, Evan!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah, even though I am not an Evan fan and found him very luck and pushing his luck I still don't want him to get injured. I hope he takes it slowly. He has 2.5 months until Nationals.

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree with Skater Boy. NOT an Evan fan but I would hate to see him harm himself further by trying to get back in shape for Nationals after this injury. I guess I don't understand why someone who is the reigning Olympic Gold medalist would want to compete again unless he was (1) at full strength; and (2) fairly convinced that he could truly compete with the likes of Chan, Daisuke and the entire Japanese men's team! I would not want to risk my reputation/status by denigrating it with a poor performance. I've always believed in going out on top!!!! I just don't see this happening for Evan. It's time to move on to the next chapter of your life and look back at figure skating as a wonderful experience!

willywonka

Rinkside
Why not? To prove that his win in 2010 is not a fluke and to make men's competition all the more exciting and interesting.;)

skatefan12

Rinkside
Why not? To prove that his win in 2010 is not a fluke and to make men's competition all the more exciting and interesting.;)

Exactly. And like others who are coming back this season, perhaps because he enjoys it ;)

Personally, I'll take excitement and comebacks over disastrous Nats that lead to disastrous Worlds thank you very much.

skatefan12

Rinkside
Perhaps I didn't quote that as well as I could have. I am actually a fan of Evan's and am pulling for him to come back. I was agreeing with the "exciting and interesting" part, and regarding 2010, I was looking at it more for silencing the people who will forever put an asterisk by his win because it was quadless. I happen to like Evan's skating and hope that he is able to compete both in Zagreb and at Nationals. Lord knows the US men could use all the help they can get :slink:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
skatefan12 - I didn't take your post as anything but positive! :) Go Evan!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Evan has to compete in a Senior B before the ISU Championships to obtain the minimum TES, so I think he's going to try to regain his best shape in short time... I do hope he doesn't rush things, he could earn those TES without a quad...

Evan has to compete in a Senior B before the ISU Championships to obtain the minimum TES, so I think he's going to try to regain his best shape in short time... I do hope he doesn't rush things, he could earn those TES without a quad...

But he could wait until after U.S, Nationals if that worked out better for him. If he doesn't make the national team, then he won't have to worry about qualifying scores fro worlds anyway.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And what about Evanflation?;)

Good point. I do think his exotic looks really help sell his "look" though -natural or otherwise. I also wondered is he a native, italian, french, african mix, hispanic...he has a very distinctive look which I think helps whereas someone like Chan is rather ordinary.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Good point. I do think his exotic looks really help sell his "look" though -natural or otherwise. I also wondered is he a native, italian, french, african mix, hispanic...he has a very distinctive look which I think helps whereas someone like Chan is rather ordinary.

His wikipedia said, "Lysacek is of Italian and Czech descent."

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope in his comeback he is doing it simply for the joy of competing and representing your country, much like Witt in 1994. In addition to the scoring changes that more strongly favor jumps he can't do well, a number of athletes have surpassed him artistically who can also outjump him. I'm with Bluebonnet... there isn't much he can do to replicate his 2010 Olympic result (although I would expect he does make the team).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have understood that Evan is coming back because he very much missed the training and enjoys to compete. In my opinion he has absolutely nothing to lose, he already is an Olympic Champion! Now he can just enjoy of competing!!!

It seems the Nationals will be really exciting and 2 guys who will be able to hold it together when it counts, are the ones who´ll go to the Worlds. I think the most fierce competition will be between Abbott (because he usually skates well at the Nationals), Dornbush and Lysacek.

Last edited:

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Good luck to Evan! It's a tough field but I wish him the best!

It seems the Nationals will be really exciting and 2 guys who will be able to hold it together when it counts, are the ones who´ll go to the Worlds. I think the most fierce competition will be between Abbott (because he usually skates well at the Nationals), Dornbush and Lysacek.

Nationals will definitely be exciting. Along with who you named, I'd have to add Weir and Ross Miner to the mix. Weir because it will interesting to see how he does against his old rival, and Miner because I feel that he has so much potential. I've though for a while now that he could be the U.S.'s next big star...we'll see.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Perhaps I didn't quote that as well as I could have. I am actually a fan of Evan's and am pulling for him to come back. I was agreeing with the "exciting and interesting" part, and regarding 2010, I was looking at it more for silencing the people who will forever put an asterisk by his win because it was quadless. I happen to like Evan's skating and hope that he is able to compete both in Zagreb and at Nationals. Lord knows the US men could use all the help they can get :slink:

Everything 2008 to 2010 has a HUGE asterisk!! Trash years of extreme technical conservatism totally putting the lid on everyones potential and rewarding putting lids on potential with GOE and and too many step sequences and total jump backwardness!! Buttle Lysacek worlds Lysacek olympics. Garbage with asterisk. Now people are doing what is with their potential and even Lysacek may be back to his potential and not doing all triple programs like it was the 1994 olympics or earlier or whatever.

skatefan12

Rinkside
Probably opening up pandora's box here, and I know how you (gymers) in particular feel about jumps in skating, but you could say 2008-2010 were the years of pushing people to the edge of their potential regarding step sequences and everything other than jumps. Lets face it, some programs before then were alot of NOTHING in between jumps. So for a few years, jumping took a back seat to everything else. There are ebbs and flows in skating and now I'm sure you are ecstatic as the quad is once again valued higher. If nothing else, everyone was pushed to improve their basic skating and footwork skills.

I am particularly interested, though, how you can discount two years of figure skating just because you dont think the quad was valued high enough. Skaters were just responding to changes in the judging system, like they did again in 2010. Perhaps other people want to discount 2006-2008 because too many people splatted all over the place from attempting quads they could never hope to land.