Lysacek is back on the ice | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lysacek is back on the ice

noskates

Record Breaker
Skater Boy.....I do not want Abbott to skate the lights out at Olympics next year. What the heck do you mean by that? Do you think Jeremy hasn't paid his dues? Am I misinterpreting what you said? Generally I agree with your posts but I'm having a hard time with this one. I would LOVE for Jeremy to skate "lights out" anytime he takes the ice. No love for Jeremy particularly but when he's ON he's fabulous. He has the jumps, the musical interpretation, etc. etc. But I don't agree that Evan is a great competitor! I think he had 4+ minutes of brilliance when it counted the most. I think he was incredibly lucky that some of his competitors had off nights. (but the same could be said for Sarah Hughes or Tara Lipinski or some of the other Olympic champions) But he did what he had to do in THAT particular moment - which is all that counts. I honestly honestly honestly don't see him medalling at the US Nats this year. I just don't. You won't get any boos from me if Evan retires gracefully. I personally think he should have already done that! It's SOOOOO hard for a reigning Olympic gold medalist to repeat. SO hard. And even harder if they haven't been competing and training all along. Add in an injury and............boy howdy! It's 10 times harder.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
But I don't agree that Evan is a great competitor! I think he had 4+ minutes of brilliance when it counted the most. I think he was incredibly lucky that some of his competitors had off nights. But he did what he had to do in THAT particular moment - which is all that counts.

I respectfully disagree. During his career, Lysacek was Olympic Champion, World Champion, Grand Prix Final Champion, 4CC champion, finished 1st in the men's event at the 2009 World Team Trophy, and was 2-time US champion. Since 2006, he failed to medal in only two events...4th at the 2006 Olympics & 5th at the 2007 World Championships. Those are the results of a great competitor...not the result of luck.

I honestly honestly honestly don't see him medalling at the US Nats this year. I just don't. You won't get any boos from me if Evan retires gracefully. I personally think he should have already done that! It's SOOOOO hard for a reigning Olympic gold medalist to repeat. SO hard. And even harder if they haven't been competing and training all along. Add in an injury and............boy howdy! It's 10 times harder.

It will be a long shot for Lysacek to compete at Nationals. He was supposed to be off ice for six weeks after his Nov. 20th surgery. Thus, the earliest he would have been back on ice was Jan. 1st...two weeks ago. If Lysacek is able to compete at Nationals, it will be because he has been training for two years. While Lysacek did not compete last year, he was training competitive programs.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am not a Lysacek fan but to say he is not a consistent skater is bollocks. His biggest asset by FAR was his consistency. He probably isnt even in the top 10 of the list of most talented mens skaters of his era, yet he is an Olympic and World Champion. Why, since he almost never falls, he did clean programs to his fullest potential quite often like nobodys business, and he was a fabulous competitor who stood up to the pressure like few of his peers did. Yes he was super lucky with the timing of all that happened, Lambiel's retirement, Takahashi's 2008 injury, Worlds in the U.S in a pre Olympic year, Abbott and Joubert headcasing in the big events. That said he is done. Even his best ever skating would only get him 5th or 6th in the current field, and I doubt being old for an amateur skater, having dealt with injuries, and being out of the competitive loop for several years now he will even approach his old level of skating at the amateur level. Even is he returns I doubt he makes the U.S team for any future major events, never mind being a contender if he does. The USFSA isnt a big fan of his any longer, when they even were part of the controversy that kept him from competing last season, and they have been a big back of Abbott for 2009 for whatever odd reason, and will probably now be backing people like Miner and Dornbush who are their future hopes after Sochi, and who they will want to gain experience by being there even if they arent real medal threats there.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone really know what in the heck Evan is doing? Is he really serious about competing this year? WAs this a pipe dream? Is he another really too injured but won't admit it? Is he actually healed? Does he really have a quad or is it really a Jeff Buttle quad? Is he really even relevant today? Jeremy at his best inmho is better but that is rare. Is Vera Wan designing his outfits? I guess his fundin isn't like Johnny Weir's as he is a world and olympic champion

noskates

Record Breaker
I never said he wasn't consistent. But I do think he was very lucky - quite often. And yes, he was consistent even though I always found his programs to be boring and predictable. Maybe it was his height or maybe it was the windmilling arms but I never thought his programs flowed. Obviously not a fan but I was thrilled when he won the Olys for the US. That skate was magical. But I also don't think rehearsing a show program is anywhere near the challenge that rehearsing a competitive program is. You're on the ice and you're skating to music and following choreography but you're not concerned about complexity, points, etc. and the level of intensity is different IMO.

Also IIRC, the controversy that kept him off the ice last season wasn't the USFSA's fault but more like Evan's expectations of how he should be dealt with. Didn't it have to do with money?

I think the US could put 3 good male skaters out there without him. When it comes to past champions such as Evan it's nice to remember what they did in their prime (I'll use that phrase again) but quite frankly, what can you do for us today? I guess we'll know next week!

Icey

Record Breaker
Evan and Jeremy are both 27. Daisuke is 26 (27 in March). If Evan comes back , he will be ready to compete and will do just fine. Has he announced his withdrawal from Nationals yet?

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Evan and Jeremy are both 27. Daisuke is 26 (27 in March). If Evan comes back , he will be ready to compete and will do just fine. Has he announced his withdrawal from Nationals yet?

Why is there a heavy feeling Evan will pull out????

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I never said he wasn't consistent. But I do think he was very lucky - quite often. And yes, he was consistent even though I always found his programs to be boring and predictable. Maybe it was his height or maybe it was the windmilling arms but I never thought his programs flowed. Obviously not a fan but I was thrilled when he won the Olys for the US. That skate was magical. But I also don't think rehearsing a show program is anywhere near the challenge that rehearsing a competitive program is. You're on the ice and you're skating to music and following choreography but you're not concerned about complexity, points, etc. and the level of intensity is different IMO.

Also IIRC, the controversy that kept him off the ice last season wasn't the USFSA's fault but more like Evan's expectations of how he should be dealt with. Didn't it have to do with money?

I think the US could put 3 good male skaters out there without him. When it comes to past champions such as Evan it's nice to remember what they did in their prime (I'll use that phrase again) but quite frankly, what can you do for us today? I guess we'll know next week!

I tihnk you are on the money.

Icey

Record Breaker
Because of the sports hernia followed by dead silence on training.

At the golden globes the other night he told an interviewer he was training hard (for Sochi). Don't know that that means he will be at Nationals though. But even if he is there and places so he would be on world team, I believe he will still need to establish minimum tes
scores at an international event to go to Worlds and I would think that door is closing rapidly. Anyone know which such events are still open?

Last edited:

jaylee

Medalist

Hmm, I don't disagree with you about how his programs flowed. But I think consistency allowed him to get full benefits of being lucky. Without it, the "luck" of having his biggest competitors falter would not have garnered him the results it did.

In any case, I don't expect Evan to be at US Nationals (though I didn't expect Sasha Cohen to show up at 2010 Nationals, and surprisingly she did). I'm rooting for Jeremy Abbott and Ross Miner.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
At the golden globes the other night he told an interviewer he was training hard (for Sochi). Don't know that that means he will be at Nationals though. But even if he is there and places so he would be on world team, I believe he will still need to establish minimum tes
scores at an international event to go to Worlds and I would think that door is closing rapidly. Anyone know which such events are still open?

IIRC, Challenge Cup allows a limited number of late entries for senior skaters that need to obtain the minimum TES for Worlds.

Icey

Record Breaker
IMO The current (latest) Olympic medalists (gold, silver and bronze) should be exempt from the minimum tes score requirement.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure Olympic medals should bring you such entitlement. I know in the US it does but this could mean someone not afraid of being embarassed really could not skate for 3 or 4 years and get a guaranteed spot to say Nats or whatever. Their skating may have been up to snuff in say 2010 but not so 2014 - i am not saying Evan is that weak just saying in general. odd how he had no mentions of nationals and odd how so many comebacks get stalled for a multiple of stated and not stated reasons. It's hard to come back.

Icey

Record Breaker
But surely a former olympic medalist would be able skate well enough to get the min tes, even if they weren't up to their Olympic standard, and most people, I believe, are reluctant to embarrass themselves in front of the world. To do that would really tarnish their medal and reputation. Of course, I don't think most people looked down on Boitano and Witt when they returned to the Olympics after their gold medals and placed 6th and 7th respectively.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I do not think that Boitano and Witt are good analogies to Lysacek in terms of the perception of their respective comebacks.

If Lysacek qualifies for Sochi 2014, he will be the defending champion. Those who pay attention to skating only when the Olympics roll around naturally might have some expectation that he would win (or at least medal) again -- no matter what commentary they hear or read about his hiatus from competition, injuries, etc.

Boitano and Witt won Olympic gold in 1988, and did not pursue their comebacks until 1994. After a six-year interval that included their absences from the 1992 Games, it was an accomplishment in itself for each simply to compete again in Lillehammer, I'd say.

As I understand it the issue between Lysacek's representatives and the USFSA had to do with possible personal endorsement opportunities that might come Evan's way as a result of participating in Skate America, followed by U.S. Nationals. The USFSA wanted a cut; big-time hollywood agency CAA said no.

The next year Evan switched agents to Shep Goldberg (Michelle Kwan's long-time agent). Goldberg knew the ins and out of the figure skating business and the problems were quickly ironed out.

noskates

Record Breaker
Obviously I don't skate - as evidenced by my screenname. But I have athletes throughout the family. A couple of All-Americans and other award winning sportsmen. All were well-trained athletes at the top of their game. Even one year later, despite continuing to work out, not so much! There is a major difference between playing flag football and the NFL. There is a major difference between playing HORSE and the NBA. I think there is a major difference between skating show programs and competitive programs. That being said, taking 4 years off from the level of intensity required to medal in a major competition, not to mention the Olympics, is HUGE! I don't agree that a reigning Olympic champion should automatically get a bye from qualifying again. I do agree that each country's federation can pick and choose who they think the best representatives should be in each discipline. And the reason I say that is, a skater can be kicking butt throughout the season and have one "off" program and lose their chance. How many times have we seen that?

In Evan's case, until he proves himself again in a competitive setting, as far as I'm concerned all bets and "wishful thinkings" are off. It's just so much talk!

I'm backing Jeremy Abbott and either Jason Brown or Adam Rippon. Yeah, I know the last two are iffy but I think both are capable. If Evan should skate Nationals and should medal or even win - more power to him and I'll be happy for him. I just dont' think it's going to happen.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Evan hopes to even make the US team next year he needed to start his comeback this season. Being 28 and having not competed in almost 4 years is asking a lot of someone that old and out of competitive shape. Even Yuna needed to start competing again this year to get ready for Sochi and she's much younger then Evan.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm backing Jeremy Abbott and either Jason Brown or Adam Rippon. Yeah, I know the last two are iffy but I think both are capable. If Evan should skate Nationals and should medal or even win - more power to him and I'll be happy for him. I just dont' think it's going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I'm okay with Jeremy (because of his pcs advantage even if he misses his jumps), but I still think Evan is our strongest chance at Worlds. Evan won't compete unless he feels that he's ready. He doesn't need to medal this year, just place high enough to earn the US two or in a perfect world, three spots.

As far as Jason and Adam, I love them both but not for this year's world team. Jason barely has a triple axel and Adam has had lots of chances to shine but just hasn't done it yet.

If Evan doesn't show up, I'd go with Ross Miner or Richard Dornbush for the second spot. I love Ross's consistency and Ricky's charisma and technical levels.