Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64

Thread: Lysacek is back on the ice

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,521
    I hope in his comeback he is doing it simply for the joy of competing and representing your country, much like Witt in 1994. In addition to the scoring changes that more strongly favor jumps he can't do well, a number of athletes have surpassed him artistically who can also outjump him. I'm with Bluebonnet... there isn't much he can do to replicate his 2010 Olympic result (although I would expect he does make the team).

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,558
    I have understood that Evan is coming back because he very much missed the training and enjoys to compete. In my opinion he has absolutely nothing to lose, he already is an Olympic Champion! Now he can just enjoy of competing!!!

    It seems the Nationals will be really exciting and 2 guys who will be able to hold it together when it counts, are the ones who´ll go to the Worlds. I think the most fierce competition will be between Abbott (because he usually skates well at the Nationals), Dornbush and Lysacek.
    Last edited by Jaana; 11-08-2012 at 01:49 PM.

  3. #18
    Custom Title Butterscotch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    186
    Good luck to Evan! It's a tough field but I wish him the best!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    It seems the Nationals will be really exciting and 2 guys who will be able to hold it together when it counts, are the ones who´ll go to the Worlds. I think the most fierce competition will be between Abbott (because he usually skates well at the Nationals), Dornbush and Lysacek.
    Nationals will definitely be exciting. Along with who you named, I'd have to add Weir and Ross Miner to the mix. Weir because it will interesting to see how he does against his old rival, and Miner because I feel that he has so much potential. I've though for a while now that he could be the U.S.'s next big star...we'll see.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,596
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan12 View Post
    Perhaps I didn't quote that as well as I could have. I am actually a fan of Evan's and am pulling for him to come back. I was agreeing with the "exciting and interesting" part, and regarding 2010, I was looking at it more for silencing the people who will forever put an asterisk by his win because it was quadless. I happen to like Evan's skating and hope that he is able to compete both in Zagreb and at Nationals. Lord knows the US men could use all the help they can get
    Everything 2008 to 2010 has a HUGE asterisk!! Trash years of extreme technical conservatism totally putting the lid on everyones potential and rewarding putting lids on potential with GOE and and too many step sequences and total jump backwardness!! Buttle Lysacek worlds Lysacek olympics. Garbage with asterisk. Now people are doing what is with their potential and even Lysacek may be back to his potential and not doing all triple programs like it was the 1994 olympics or earlier or whatever.

  5. #20
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47
    Probably opening up pandora's box here, and I know how you (gymers) in particular feel about jumps in skating, but you could say 2008-2010 were the years of pushing people to the edge of their potential regarding step sequences and everything other than jumps. Lets face it, some programs before then were alot of NOTHING in between jumps. So for a few years, jumping took a back seat to everything else. There are ebbs and flows in skating and now I'm sure you are ecstatic as the quad is once again valued higher. If nothing else, everyone was pushed to improve their basic skating and footwork skills.

    I am particularly interested, though, how you can discount two years of figure skating just because you dont think the quad was valued high enough. Skaters were just responding to changes in the judging system, like they did again in 2010. Perhaps other people want to discount 2006-2008 because too many people splatted all over the place from attempting quads they could never hope to land.

  6. #21
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    And what about Evanflation?
    That's my fear. The men only have 2 spots available for Worlds. If the U.S. is determined to do the "top 2 at Nationals go to Worlds/Olympics" thing, then the two people who skate the best at Nationals **** well better be scored as such.

    A similar situation - Todd Eldredge didn't deserve to be scored over Matt Savoie in 2001. If it wasn't for that bad judging in favor of a former champion, and Todd was marked in 3rd where he should have been, then he wouldn't have gone to Worlds that year (the U.S. also only had 2 spots that year). Now, granted, Todd did great at Worlds...but based upon what he did at Nationals he didn't deserve to go.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    That's my fear. The men only have 2 spots available for Worlds. If the U.S. is determined to do the "top 2 at Nationals go to Worlds/Olympics" thing, then the two people who skate the best at Nationals **** well better be scored as such.

    A similar situation - Todd Eldredge didn't deserve to be scored over Matt Savoie in 2001. If it wasn't for that bad judging in favor of a former champion, and Todd was marked in 3rd where he should have been, then he wouldn't have gone to Worlds that year (the U.S. also only had 2 spots that year). Now, granted, Todd did great at Worlds...but based upon what he did at Nationals he didn't deserve to go.
    Evan is going to get much better marks internationally than anyone aside from Jeremy. When Jeremy was left off the World team by a hair the USFSA really sent a weak field and I think they don't want to make the same mistake again. If it's a marginal decision I think you have to go with the reining OC because there is at least a floor that he won't be marked below (i.e. if he bombs the SP he'd still probably place in the top 10 in the World). If Evan is even 80% I don't see how he and Jeremy would not get 3 spots next year. With Olympic berths on the line the USFSA has got to send the skaters capable of the best marks.

  8. #23
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,200
    New :32 video of Lysacek rehearsing for the Kaleidoscope on Ice show in Charlotte, NC:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=432256806840970

    The live show takes place Wed, Nov 14, at 7:00 pm at the Bojangles' Coliseum.
    The broadcast special will air nationally Sun, Nov 25, 2012, directly following the NFL game from 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. ET on CBS.
    http://www.kaleidoscope.org/show.html
    Last edited by golden411; 11-13-2012 at 11:57 PM.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,596
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan12 View Post
    Probably opening up pandora's box here, and I know how you (gymers) in particular feel about jumps in skating, but you could say 2008-2010 were the years of pushing people to the edge of their potential regarding step sequences and everything other than jumps. Lets face it, some programs before then were alot of NOTHING in between jumps. So for a few years, jumping took a back seat to everything else. There are ebbs and flows in skating and now I'm sure you are ecstatic as the quad is once again valued higher. If nothing else, everyone was pushed to improve their basic skating and footwork skills.

    I am particularly interested, though, how you can discount two years of figure skating just because you dont think the quad was valued high enough. Skaters were just responding to changes in the judging system, like they did again in 2010. Perhaps other people want to discount 2006-2008 because too many people splatted all over the place from attempting quads they could never hope to land.
    It was one thing when worlds went quadless but far too much when Olympics went quadless. People with great steps and spins and all that didnt even try them. But like all the people who tried quads also had to do spins and steps and sometimes could even hit level 3 or 4. Just to messed up to have the winners not attempt the harder things of the losers when for 10 years winners did quads. Just not good and chan and Lysacek got into big fights with Jouber and plushenko with one side saying quads is not men and the other side saying the other wanted to abolish everything bu jumps and turn the sport into just jumps.

  10. #25
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,406
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It was one thing when worlds went quadless but far too much when Olympics went quadless. People with great steps and spins and all that didnt even try them. But like all the people who tried quads also had to do spins and steps and sometimes could even hit level 3 or 4. Just to messed up to have the winners not attempt the harder things of the losers when for 10 years winners did quads. Just not good and chan and Lysacek got into big fights with Jouber and plushenko with one side saying quads is not men and the other side saying the other wanted to abolish everything bu jumps and turn the sport into just jumps.
    I am by no means a fan of Lysacek, but this misrepresents things completely.

    Lysacek never got into any fights with Joubert, or even with Plushenko that I can recall. Joubert had some comments about Buttle winning 2008 Worlds without a quad (not a fight) and Chan had a one-sided fight with Joubert at 2009 Worlds about how quads are not that important (they have since made up their differences, obviously) but Lysacek ignored all that, and who ended up on top of the podium? Exactly.

    Lysacek and Carroll did have some criticism about the judges, at both 2009 CoC and 2010 US Nats, but not any conflicts with other skaters that I can recall, and the stuff with the judges was not about quads, of course.

  11. #26
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    The only real war of words that Lysacek participated in was against Weir.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,596
    Its not misrepresenting the facts to say after plushenko said men's skating without quads is dancing or ladies and then Lysacek said you could just have a competition where the only thing the skaters do is their biggest jump. That wasn't exactly a direct confrontation but everyone knew what they were saying. not men's skating without quads and total abolition of everything in skating but jumps.

  13. #28
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,200
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Evan has to compete in a Senior B before the ISU Championships to obtain the minimum TES, so I think he's going to try to regain his best shape in short time... I do hope he doesn't rush things, he could earn those TES without a quad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    But he could wait until after U.S. Nationals if that worked out better for him. If he doesn't make the national team, then he won't have to worry about qualifying scores fro worlds anyway.
    Mathman was prophetic:

    No competition for Lysacek before nationals
    By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
    5:04 p.m. CST, November 16, 2012
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4118104.story

    Excerpt:
    "The competition under consideration was Golden Spin of Zagreb Dec. 13-16, but Lysacek’s agent, Shep Goldberg, said in a text message Friday the skater would not be going there."
    Last edited by golden411; 11-17-2012 at 04:13 AM.

  14. #29
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    If Evan skates at Nationals I will be extremely surprised.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    988
    Tonichelle - amen!!! I just don't think Evan can compete with the top skaters right now. Skating in an ice show doesn't exactly keep up your competitive edge and rehabbing a groin injury takes time. I disagree with him having nothing to lose by competing. If the current Olympic men's champion doesn't medal at his Nationals - or doesn't even qualify, I think that would be highly embarassing. I don't remember exact details but haven't the winners of a couple of the Grand Prix's scored higher points than Evan did at the Olys? I personally think he should rest on his laurels. But, time will tell.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •