Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64

Thread: Lysacek is back on the ice

  1. #31
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    I dunno either way he's got some embarrassment on his hands - this is year two his comeback has been in name only...

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Evan is going to get much better marks internationally than anyone aside from Jeremy. When Jeremy was left off the World team by a hair the USFSA really sent a weak field and I think they don't want to make the same mistake again. If it's a marginal decision I think you have to go with the reining OC because there is at least a floor that he won't be marked below (i.e. if he bombs the SP he'd still probably place in the top 10 in the World). If Evan is even 80% I don't see how he and Jeremy would not get 3 spots next year. With Olympic berths on the line the USFSA has got to send the skaters capable of the best marks.
    I can very easily see a team of Lysacek and Abbott not getting back 3 spots. In fact I will be surprised if whatever team the U.S men send gets 3 spots back. For starters I expect whichever 2 U.S men are sent to lose to Chan, all 3 Japanese men, and Fernandez. That is even assuming Plushenko doesnt go to Worlds, but if he does, him as well. So I expect the top U.S finisher to be 6th, lets say hypothetically that is the consistent Lysacek (not that I think it will be as I dont think he will even show up at Nationals but anyway). The other US man will not likely come 7th to go along with that, Abbott will melt down badly enough to be 10th or lower probably, after all he just melted down and lost to the #6 Japanese man, and it was still an improvement on his first outing, lol! The rest just arent good enough to even come as high as 6th or 7th amongst todays field.

  3. #33
    Custom Title Kitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    456
    A non-injured Weir and Lysacek could do 6th & 7th....but it's a long shot. Jeremy can be counted on as a meltdown, even if he wins Nationals. I like his skating, but let's be realistic.

    So I don't see U.S. getting 3 spots back.:-(

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Charming photos of Evan's family taken on Christmas: http://www.shannon-kblog.com/2013/01...-photographer/

  5. #35
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Charming photos of Evan's family taken on Christmas: http://www.shannon-kblog.com/2013/01...-photographer/
    They are very similar to each other

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,130
    Been reading about Lysacek for months now - his comeback, his injuries, another comeback, another injury - yada! yada! yada! I don't think in Evan's prime he could beat the current Chan or Hanyu or even Takahashi. If all of them skated clean, I have no doubt Evan would be in a solid fourth position. And throw in Fernandes currently, Evan would be fifth at best! But I'm basing that on Evan's skating in his prime! It's difficult for me to imagine him skating to the level he was at during the Olympics when he hasn't competed in 2+ years, has been doing show programs, has aged a few years and has suffered some damning injuries. So when I read people projecting where he might place, I'm thinking it's based on the reputation of being the reigning Olympic champion (which frankly doesn't mean he can skate anywhere near that level now) or wishful thinking.

    And I will readily admit , and have always thought, that Jeremy is a headcase! But IF he could put together 2 skates like he did at the 2012 US Nats (proving again that it is possible) he should not be counted out of any competition. Will it take a witch doctor or a fairy godmother to make him skate on the ice instead of in his head? I dont' know. But I do think he's in a much better position overall to best anything Evan puts down on the ice at this point in Evan's career.

    In any case, I wish them both well and hope that the US can get 3 spots back!

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Been reading about Lysacek for months now - his comeback, his injuries, another comeback, another injury - yada! yada! yada! I don't think in Evan's prime he could beat the current Chan or Hanyu or even Takahashi. If all of them skated clean, I have no doubt Evan would be in a solid fourth position. And throw in Fernandes currently, Evan would be fifth at best! But I'm basing that on Evan's skating in his prime! It's difficult for me to imagine him skating to the level he was at during the Olympics when he hasn't competed in 2+ years, has been doing show programs, has aged a few years and has suffered some damning injuries. So when I read people projecting where he might place, I'm thinking it's based on the reputation of being the reigning Olympic champion (which frankly doesn't mean he can skate anywhere near that level now) or wishful thinking.

    And I will readily admit , and have always thought, that Jeremy is a headcase! But IF he could put together 2 skates like he did at the 2012 US Nats (proving again that it is possible) he should not be counted out of any competition. Will it take a witch doctor or a fairy godmother to make him skate on the ice instead of in his head? I dont' know. But I do think he's in a much better position overall to best anything Evan puts down on the ice at this point in Evan's career.

    In any case, I wish them both well and hope that the US can get 3 spots back!
    Agree on all counts.

  8. #38
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    And I will readily admit , and have always thought, that Jeremy is a headcase! But IF he could put together 2 skates like he did at the 2012 US Nats (proving again that it is possible) he should not be counted out of any competition. Will it take a witch doctor or a fairy godmother to make him skate on the ice instead of in his head? I dont' know.
    Jeremy has had two performances at Nationals so in the zone that those would have easily, easily put him on the podium at the next international: 2010 and 2012. 2010 Nationals' performance would have likely WON him the Olympic gold over Lysacek.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    And I will readily admit , and have always thought, that Jeremy is a headcase! But IF he could put together 2 skates like he did at the 2012 US Nats (proving again that it is possible) he should not be counted out of any competition. Will it take a witch doctor or a fairy godmother to make him skate on the ice instead of in his head?
    Isn't it heartbreaking? And the guy even does quads. He skates like poetry in motion at Nationals--seems as if he does that every year, in fact--and then he simply evaporates at Worlds.

    Skate on the ice instead of in your head...we ought to embroider samplers saying that and sell them to skaters. We'd make out like gangbusters. We could probably quit our day jobs.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,741
    I do believe Jeremy and Evan can bring back 3 spots and the glory back to the USA. Jeremy has it all though I have to admit with so many great and more consistent skater I do not want Abbott to skate the lights out at Olympics next year. Other skaters are well "more deservin - I know how do you decide lol. DAisuike T., Chan have paid their dues. Evan is one of the greatest competitors. His jumps aren't the best but consistent and he does it when it counts. and his artistry and pcs are second rate (or should be) behind all 3 Japanese men, Fernandez and Chan at the very least. I will be terribly disapointed if Evan pulls out of Nationals and if he does I kind of, and this is odd and will get boos, hope that he just retires gracefully and let others have their chance in the sun both in the us and world. But we are a greedy bunch.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,130
    Skater Boy.....I do not want Abbott to skate the lights out at Olympics next year. What the heck do you mean by that? Do you think Jeremy hasn't paid his dues? Am I misinterpreting what you said? Generally I agree with your posts but I'm having a hard time with this one. I would LOVE for Jeremy to skate "lights out" anytime he takes the ice. No love for Jeremy particularly but when he's ON he's fabulous. He has the jumps, the musical interpretation, etc. etc. But I don't agree that Evan is a great competitor! I think he had 4+ minutes of brilliance when it counted the most. I think he was incredibly lucky that some of his competitors had off nights. (but the same could be said for Sarah Hughes or Tara Lipinski or some of the other Olympic champions) But he did what he had to do in THAT particular moment - which is all that counts. I honestly honestly honestly don't see him medalling at the US Nats this year. I just don't. You won't get any boos from me if Evan retires gracefully. I personally think he should have already done that! It's SOOOOO hard for a reigning Olympic gold medalist to repeat. SO hard. And even harder if they haven't been competing and training all along. Add in an injury and............boy howdy! It's 10 times harder.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    But I don't agree that Evan is a great competitor! I think he had 4+ minutes of brilliance when it counted the most. I think he was incredibly lucky that some of his competitors had off nights. But he did what he had to do in THAT particular moment - which is all that counts.
    I respectfully disagree. During his career, Lysacek was Olympic Champion, World Champion, Grand Prix Final Champion, 4CC champion, finished 1st in the men's event at the 2009 World Team Trophy, and was 2-time US champion. Since 2006, he failed to medal in only two events...4th at the 2006 Olympics & 5th at the 2007 World Championships. Those are the results of a great competitor...not the result of luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by nonskates View Post
    I honestly honestly honestly don't see him medalling at the US Nats this year. I just don't. You won't get any boos from me if Evan retires gracefully. I personally think he should have already done that! It's SOOOOO hard for a reigning Olympic gold medalist to repeat. SO hard. And even harder if they haven't been competing and training all along. Add in an injury and............boy howdy! It's 10 times harder.
    It will be a long shot for Lysacek to compete at Nationals. He was supposed to be off ice for six weeks after his Nov. 20th surgery. Thus, the earliest he would have been back on ice was Jan. 1st...two weeks ago. If Lysacek is able to compete at Nationals, it will be because he has been training for two years. While Lysacek did not compete last year, he was training competitive programs.

  13. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    I am not a Lysacek fan but to say he is not a consistent skater is bollocks. His biggest asset by FAR was his consistency. He probably isnt even in the top 10 of the list of most talented mens skaters of his era, yet he is an Olympic and World Champion. Why, since he almost never falls, he did clean programs to his fullest potential quite often like nobodys business, and he was a fabulous competitor who stood up to the pressure like few of his peers did. Yes he was super lucky with the timing of all that happened, Lambiel's retirement, Takahashi's 2008 injury, Worlds in the U.S in a pre Olympic year, Abbott and Joubert headcasing in the big events. That said he is done. Even his best ever skating would only get him 5th or 6th in the current field, and I doubt being old for an amateur skater, having dealt with injuries, and being out of the competitive loop for several years now he will even approach his old level of skating at the amateur level. Even is he returns I doubt he makes the U.S team for any future major events, never mind being a contender if he does. The USFSA isnt a big fan of his any longer, when they even were part of the controversy that kept him from competing last season, and they have been a big back of Abbott for 2009 for whatever odd reason, and will probably now be backing people like Miner and Dornbush who are their future hopes after Sochi, and who they will want to gain experience by being there even if they arent real medal threats there.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,741
    Does anyone really know what in the heck Evan is doing? Is he really serious about competing this year? WAs this a pipe dream? Is he another really too injured but won't admit it? Is he actually healed? Does he really have a quad or is it really a Jeff Buttle quad? Is he really even relevant today? Jeremy at his best inmho is better but that is rare. Is Vera Wan designing his outfits? I guess his fundin isn't like Johnny Weir's as he is a world and olympic champion

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,130
    I never said he wasn't consistent. But I do think he was very lucky - quite often. And yes, he was consistent even though I always found his programs to be boring and predictable. Maybe it was his height or maybe it was the windmilling arms but I never thought his programs flowed. Obviously not a fan but I was thrilled when he won the Olys for the US. That skate was magical. But I also don't think rehearsing a show program is anywhere near the challenge that rehearsing a competitive program is. You're on the ice and you're skating to music and following choreography but you're not concerned about complexity, points, etc. and the level of intensity is different IMO.

    Also IIRC, the controversy that kept him off the ice last season wasn't the USFSA's fault but more like Evan's expectations of how he should be dealt with. Didn't it have to do with money?

    I think the US could put 3 good male skaters out there without him. When it comes to past champions such as Evan it's nice to remember what they did in their prime (I'll use that phrase again) but quite frankly, what can you do for us today? I guess we'll know next week!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •