Lysacek is back on the ice | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lysacek is back on the ice

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Evan and Jeremy are both 27. Daisuke is 26 (27 in March). If Evan comes back , he will be ready to compete and will do just fine. Has he announced his withdrawal from Nationals yet?

Dai was always a much more talented and better skater than Evan. Had Dai not been injured in summer 2008, all of Evans titles in 2009 and 2010 would have been Dais instead. Last year Dai was skating at a level that would have crushed Evan any year, but unfortunately Patrick Chan was in the way. Dai has been competing full time since Vancouver and is still close to his prime. Evan has not competed in 3 years and has been frequently injured so if he ever comes back will be clearly well below his prime (which was never that great a level as far as actual skating, or nearly good enough to compete on the World level today with all the quads and improved artistry of the current men vs the lame L.A and Vancouver event anyway).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I do not think that Boitano and Witt are good analogies to Lysacek in terms of the perception of their respective comebacks.

If Lysacek qualifies for Sochi 2014, he will be the defending champion. Those who pay attention to skating only when the Olympics roll around naturally might have some expectation that he would win (or at least medal) again -- no matter what commentary they hear or read about his hiatus from competition, injuries, etc.

Boitano and Witt won Olympic gold in 1988, and did not pursue their comebacks until 1994. After a six-year interval that included their absences from the 1992 Games, it was an accomplishment in itself for each simply to compete again in Lillehammer, I'd say.

I respectfully disagree. First off the johnny come lately mentality that you (probably correctly) note some casual Olympic generalist fans who only watch the Olympics will have for Evan, many of those same people also had for Boitano and Witt too, especialy Boitano. Many thought just because they were famous names to them who had won before they were going to win. It also had been only 6 years since their last Olympic wins, and there were 2 Olympics in 2 years, so it was almost as if they were the defending Champions anyway. Lysacek isnt even the huge name they were, even in the U.S, so in fact less will expect that of him, even in the U.S. For the record Evans competitive chances for Sochi even if he somehow returns in great shape and makes it (which I doubt) would be about on par with Witts, and way way below Boitanos, who actually did have a real shot in 1994, especialy with Browning and Petrenko messing up, had he skated to his potential, something that will never be true of Evan next year.

On the other hand I see what you are saying. His chances are very poor at this point, and he would be very unlikely to even meet the expecatations the general U.S public would have of him, which could in fact could see many of them be shocked (not knowledgable skating fans who wouldnt even be that surprised at this) his not even making the U.S Olympic Team. Thus coming back would not be a good idea (which I concur on).

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes I meant Sochi. For the record I always knew Evan was going to win in Vancouver, atleast 3 months out before the Games. It was his to lose and he was too tough a competitor to blow it. This time around it is about 12 other guys to lose before him.