Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir at CoR -- your thoughts??

Custom Title

Johnny Weir at CoR -- your thoughts??

Johnny Weir at CoR -- what are your thoughts??

can he maybe snatch the bronze???

what are his chances of success at CoR??

can he make the minimum tech scores to qualify for worlds??

not sure

I'm not sure, too. Here's a great article about him: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news, he says he's working on a 4S, too! I don't think he can win a medal here: basing on his Finlandia programs, Kozuka, Chan and Oda are better than him, at the moment. I just hope he obtains the minimum TES! Considering that Dornbush, Menshov and maybe Brezina can be strong competitors, even a 5th place finish would be good... If he lands a fully rotated quad, he can fight for high placements, without it or having it </<<, he's definitely out of the podium...

I doubt that he will medal but I certainly wish him well.

Custom Title
    With Kozuka, Chan, and Oda there, it will be a disaster for any of them if Weir is on the podium.

However, PJ Kwong has already predicted Patrick being off the gold medal stand :

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...of-russia.html

The men's competition is going to be the most interesting.

Front and centre is the matchup between Canada's Patrick Chan and Skate America winner Takahiko Kozuka. On a good day, I think it would go to Chan. The problem is, Chan is off to a slow start this season while Kozuka looks poised and ready.

Toss into the mix Johnny Weir, Nobunari Oda, Konstantin Menshov and Denis Ten and I think we have all kinds of scenario possibilities in the race for the podium.
    Pj's gold medal picks

Men: Takahiko Kozuka, Japan
    Ladies: Adelina Sotnikova, Russia
    Dance: Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, Canada
    Pairs: Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov, Russia
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 11-08-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Anything is possible. If you told me last week that Machida would win Gold at COC I would say you must be drunk. lol

I love Johnny but I think this is a tough competition for him to be on the podium.

I don't agree with PJ. I think Patrick will do much better at COR and take Gold.

Custom Title

^Oh my, Johnny looks like he is in great shape just fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaba22 View Post
    err, still recycling his movements from three, four years ago...nothing new.

On a positive note, I've noticed that his last spin was quite fast.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    err, still recycling his movements from three, four years ago...nothing new.

On a positive note, I've noticed that his last spin was quite fast.
    Don't a lot of skaters do this, though? At least that's my impression. Or maybe it was more a 6.0 thing. Still, I recall seeing essentially the same major elements in the same layout year after year from most skaters that I follow.

I think Weir is aware of how competitive/not competitive he is. I would love to see him get a bronze at CoR but that's not likely. Still, I think it's great he's taking it seriously enough to really train and get in shape at his age and after an absence. I would never have that kind of discipline!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaba22 View Post
    That final spin and, even if the lutz was two-footed, the quad looked fully rotated!!

Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    Don't a lot of skaters do this, though? (Bolded my me) At least that's my impression. Or maybe it was more a 6.0 thing. Still, I recall seeing essentially the same major elements in the same layout year after year from most skaters that I follow.

I think Weir is aware of how competitive/not competitive he is. I would love to see him get a bronze at CoR but that's not likely. Still, I think it's great he's taking it seriously enough to really train and get in shape at his age and after an absence. I would never have that kind of discipline!
    Yes I believe that they do. Skaters did it in back in the 6.0 day and they do it under COP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    Don't a lot of skaters do this, though? At least that's my impression. Or maybe it was more a 6.0 thing. Still, I recall seeing essentially the same major elements in the same layout year after year from most skaters that I follow.

I actually rarely saw this kind of recyclings from other skaters, even though I agree that many skaters do recycle their movements from time to time. Johnny's recycling has been purely in the concept of "hit pretty positions" as he put it in his interview. Were those "pretty positions" relevant to the music? That's something worth of questioning. I think often his "pretty positions" were isolated, exhausted ideas which had little to do with anything. This trend in his programs had started ever since he moved to Galina.

BB I like Johnny's pretty positions it is part of his skating and who he is. Why do you think he would change? You question whether they are relevant to the music, I can speak only for myself as a fan of Johnny's, the are very relevant to me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    BB I like Johnny's pretty positions it is part of his skating and who he is. Why do you think he would change? You question whether they are relevant to the music, I can speak only for myself as a fan of Johnny's, the are very relevant to me.
    To each of their own. To me, they were no more than just random pretty positions. I could totally imagine his movements in different music. Yes, they were pretty positions. When I saw them the first time in "fallen angels" trio, I loved them. But almost all subsequent Johnny's programs since 2007-08 season were like pointless recycles from his "glorious years".
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 11-08-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    What's missing in Johnny Weir's skating is opening his LP with a gorgeous 3Axel-3Toe. That is part of what made him so highly regarded at one point and he hasn't done it in forever. I've been saying ever since 2008 that he should be doing this jump layout:

*3Axel-3Toe
    *4Toe (replace with 3Flip at 2010 Nationals if getting too many < calls in prior competitions, since < calls were so massive back then and making the Olympic team was the most important thing for that competition)
    *3Loop
    ------
    *3Axel
    *3Lutz-2Toe-2Loop
    *3Sal
    *2Axel-2Axel
    *3Lutz

Galina Zmievskaya is a terrible coach for jumps (just look at how little Petrenko and Baiul actually accomplished in their "Gold" medal performances) and she doesn't understand how to do good CoP programs either. That's the other reason why Weir hasn't had better competitive results.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast