Johnny Weir at CoR -- your thoughts?? | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir at CoR -- your thoughts??

Taan

On the Ice
Johnny Weir at CoR -- what are your thoughts??

can he maybe snatch the bronze??? :confused:

what are his chances of success at CoR?? :confused:

can he make the minimum tech scores to qualify for worlds?? :confused:

not sure :slink:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm not sure, too. Here's a great article about him: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121016&content_id=39855814&vkey=ice_news, he says he's working on a 4S, too! :yes: I don't think he can win a medal here: basing on his Finlandia programs, Kozuka, Chan and Oda are better than him, at the moment. I just hope he obtains the minimum TES! Considering that Dornbush, Menshov and maybe Brezina can be strong competitors, even a 5th place finish would be good... If he lands a fully rotated quad, he can fight for high placements, without it or having it </<<, he's definitely out of the podium...

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
With Kozuka, Chan, and Oda there, it will be a disaster for any of them if Weir is on the podium.

However, PJ Kwong has already predicted Patrick being off the gold medal stand:p :

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskat...k-chan-looks-to-rebound-at-cup-of-russia.html

The men's competition is going to be the most interesting.

Front and centre is the matchup between Canada's Patrick Chan and Skate America winner Takahiko Kozuka. On a good day, I think it would go to Chan. The problem is, Chan is off to a slow start this season while Kozuka looks poised and ready.

Toss into the mix Johnny Weir, Nobunari Oda, Konstantin Menshov and Denis Ten and I think we have all kinds of scenario possibilities in the race for the podium.

Pj's gold medal picks

Men: Takahiko Kozuka, Japan
Ladies: Adelina Sotnikova, Russia
Dance: Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, Canada
Pairs: Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov, Russia

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Anything is possible. If you told me last week that Machida would win Gold at COC I would say you must be drunk. lol

I love Johnny but I think this is a tough competition for him to be on the podium.

I don't agree with PJ. I think Patrick will do much better at COR and take Gold.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
^Oh my, Johnny looks like he is in great shape just fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
:slink: err, still recycling his movements from three, four years ago...nothing new.

On a positive note, I've noticed that his last spin was quite fast.:yes:

Don't a lot of skaters do this, though? At least that's my impression. Or maybe it was more a 6.0 thing. Still, I recall seeing essentially the same major elements in the same layout year after year from most skaters that I follow.

I think Weir is aware of how competitive/not competitive he is. I would love to see him get a bronze at CoR but that's not likely. Still, I think it's great he's taking it seriously enough to really train and get in shape at his age and after an absence. I would never have that kind of discipline!

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Don't a lot of skaters do this, though? (Bolded my me) At least that's my impression. Or maybe it was more a 6.0 thing. Still, I recall seeing essentially the same major elements in the same layout year after year from most skaters that I follow.

I think Weir is aware of how competitive/not competitive he is. I would love to see him get a bronze at CoR but that's not likely. Still, I think it's great he's taking it seriously enough to really train and get in shape at his age and after an absence. I would never have that kind of discipline!

Yes I believe that they do. Skaters did it in back in the 6.0 day and they do it under COP.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Don't a lot of skaters do this, though? At least that's my impression. Or maybe it was more a 6.0 thing. Still, I recall seeing essentially the same major elements in the same layout year after year from most skaters that I follow.

I actually rarely saw this kind of recyclings from other skaters, even though I agree that many skaters do recycle their movements from time to time. Johnny's recycling has been purely in the concept of "hit pretty positions" as he put it in his interview. Were those "pretty positions" relevant to the music? That's something worth of questioning. I think often his "pretty positions" were isolated, exhausted ideas which had little to do with anything. This trend in his programs had started ever since he moved to Galina.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
BB I like Johnny's pretty positions it is part of his skating and who he is. Why do you think he would change? You question whether they are relevant to the music, I can speak only for myself as a fan of Johnny's, the are very relevant to me.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
BB I like Johnny's pretty positions it is part of his skating and who he is. Why do you think he would change? You question whether they are relevant to the music, I can speak only for myself as a fan of Johnny's, the are very relevant to me.

To each of their own.:) To me, they were no more than just random pretty positions. I could totally imagine his movements in different music. Yes, they were pretty positions. When I saw them the first time in "fallen angels" trio, I loved them. But almost all subsequent Johnny's programs since 2007-08 season were like pointless recycles from his "glorious years".:p

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What's missing in Johnny Weir's skating is opening his LP with a gorgeous 3Axel-3Toe. That is part of what made him so highly regarded at one point and he hasn't done it in forever. I've been saying ever since 2008 that he should be doing this jump layout:

*3Axel-3Toe
*4Toe (replace with 3Flip at 2010 Nationals if getting too many < calls in prior competitions, since < calls were so massive back then and making the Olympic team was the most important thing for that competition)
*3Loop
------
*3Axel
*3Lutz-2Toe-2Loop
*3Sal
*2Axel-2Axel
*3Lutz

Galina Zmievskaya is a terrible coach for jumps (just look at how little Petrenko and Baiul actually accomplished in their "Gold" medal performances) and she doesn't understand how to do good CoP programs either. That's the other reason why Weir hasn't had better competitive results.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
he's got lovely basics -he is very slow and he cannot do a good jump layout. I think hes happy to dreams of Nationals and Olympics-should lower his expectations-tho- i dont see him winning a tix to 2014.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
After this, whatever residual fuzzy feelings might have been lingering at US Figure Skating (all three of them), have evaporated. Weir's not going to get any breaks at Nationals, should he decide to show up. This antic of withdrawing after half a competition was as lame as his program. What the heck was he thinking? You don't bring a knife to a gunfight, and clearly Johnny doesn't have the competitive goods anymore.

Perhaps he just planned this all out as a publicity stunt. Bah.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I called Weir a non factor from the beginning, all the practice videos and interviews notwithstanding.

I also was sure he won't figure in. You cannot get the quad under your belt at his age, if you were unable to do it when you ere young.
Plus he lacked stamina, speed, transitions in his last competitive years as well.