Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir at CoR -- your thoughts??

he's got lovely basics -he is very slow and he cannot do a good jump layout. I think hes happy to dreams of Nationals and Olympics-should lower his expectations-tho- i dont see him winning a tix to 2014.

Custom Title
    Seems like Johnny has withdrawn...
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2012/SEG002.HTM

Custom Title
    After this, whatever residual fuzzy feelings might have been lingering at US Figure Skating (all three of them), have evaporated. Weir's not going to get any breaks at Nationals, should he decide to show up. This antic of withdrawing after half a competition was as lame as his program. What the heck was he thinking? You don't bring a knife to a gunfight, and clearly Johnny doesn't have the competitive goods anymore.

Perhaps he just planned this all out as a publicity stunt. Bah.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 11-10-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Custom Title
    I called Weir a non factor from the beginning, all the practice videos and interviews notwithstanding.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I called Weir a non factor from the beginning, all the practice videos and interviews notwithstanding.
    I also was sure he won't figure in. You cannot get the quad under your belt at his age, if you were unable to do it when you ere young.
    Plus he lacked stamina, speed, transitions in his last competitive years as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    I also was sure he won't figure in. You cannot get the quad under your belt at his age, if you were unable to do it when you ere young.
    Plus he lacked stamina, speed, transitions in his last competitive years as well.
    He would be wise to pull the quad from the SP and put in some transitions. He really does so little between the elements.

I think he looks too thin and has probably lost muscle mass. Maybe going for that quad is just too much, although I am glad he has it.

Maybe keep Poker Face for his exhibition skate, and find another SP tout de suite. I don't think the judges appreciate hip action in competitions.

His LP is lovely though. I don't know what to think right now about his future prospects. :-(

Custom Title
    Distraught Weir Withdraws from Cup of Russia
    http://en.rian.ru/sports/20121110/177356335.html

Weir, 28, said he expected crisis talks with his national federation about the Trophee Eric Bompard.

“I’m unsure if they’ll be open to it, simply because I’ve withdrawn from one Grand Prix and the other one could give a chance to another skater that has never competed in a Grand Prix before, so this evening I’ll be sitting on the phone with America all night,” he said.

Weir admitted he is not yet in top competitive form following his decision to return to the competitive circuit after two years away.

“I’ve had problems with my body and my condition since I’ve come back to the sport. I’ve had a very rapid weight loss to get prepared and my body hasn’t completely learned again what it’s like to fall,” he said.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    does he really think he will get another GP because he had to withdraw after half of this one? Evan didn't get a replacement GP....no way Weir will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I think he looks too thin and has probably lost muscle mass.
    I thought he looked "bigger" in the chest than he did in 2010... but I am concerned about the "rapid weight loss" you'd think he'd know by now that his "diet plans" haven't worked too well for him.

Weir is already scheduled for Eric Bompard. I guess he is thinking that the USFSA might call up the French Federation and get him un-invited.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    he looked "bigger" in the chest
    I had to ponder for a moment before deciding what "bigger in the chest" actually meant.
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 11-10-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    I had to ponder for a moment before deciding what "bigger in the chest" actually meant.
    perhaps I should use upper torso... he just doesn't look as stick thin as before... I don't think he's gone *that* way

Custom Title
    If he's having issues with his body being LP ready he should withdraw. Regardless of whether he can be replaced, I don't think a poor skate is the impression he wants to leave.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaba22 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I love Johnny's skating and I wished we could have seen his LP in competition. Other than that I wish him well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast