Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 68

Thread: Programs that will still be talked about in 20+ years?

  1. #16
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Chris who cant remember what V/M skated to at the last Olympics....
    It was Mahler... the same music Katia used in her solo at Sergei's Celebration of Life, iirc.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,699
    This season? I see two potentially great programs: D/W's Giselle SD and V/M's Carmen LP. Both of them are, given their past history, probably ongoing works in progress, so it's really too soon to tell. And the Carmen program is hampered by the same thing I thought the Pima program was hampered by: they impose a smattering of modern dance moves as signifiers (Look Ma! See how innovative we are!), rather then an organic melding of ice skating/dancing and modern dance. But as has been pointed out in the past, that may be due to the rules, which are in some ways rather conservative.

    But I do think both D/W's Bollywood and V/M's Mahler will be talked about in 20 years.

  3. #18
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,369
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Heart. Broken, Buttercup. Heart broken.
    Whereas I was shocked that you were so enthusiastic about it... I am all for V/M trying to do something different and edgy. I think there are better ways to go about achieving that goal, however.

    I think there were more memorable programs in the previous Olympic cycle, certainly in the singles disciplines. In pairs I mainly find S/S memorable, so that's a wash, and most of my favorite dance programs were from the Olympic season, so I'll give the dancers another year to get it right.

    I wonder if in the long run the Kerrs might be considered more memorable than some of the teams that outscored them; they had some distinctive programs and their own style, and I think that's something that stays with people over time.

  4. #19
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    14,308
    Well, it does matter what you personally remember....I would call T&D's program a 70 year memory program (As long as you live!) (No DF, is not at that level, and we haven't had any for a while.) At my age, 20 years is nothing. 20 years ago was the early 1990's-and the Duchesnay's Missing program and Klimova & Ponomarenko's Air...and Engi & Toth's Miss Piggy exhibition. For me, Boitano's Napoleon and Les Patineurs are up there with Bolero & Paso Doble.)

    Heck you can still get people heated up enough to fight about the Brian's programs and Nancy vs Oksana. But I already find Nancy & Oksana's programs slipping away from me. I can remember what Oksana skated to, but when I see someone else skating to the The Swan, I don't think that was Oksana's music, and I sure don't think of her whenever someone skates to show tunes. When I turn to youtube, I don't think to type them in and look at them.

    The Kerrs definitely had some memorable stuff, but not in this quad (which was the original question), because they retired in 2011. I've got to say, I already don't remember what they skated to that year, especially because they were not able to skate at Worlds due to injury, and that was the first year of the quad. Likewise I&K's memorable program to Schindler's List was in 2009-2010...hence in the last quad.

    So we're saying for 2010-2011, 2011-2012, and 2012-2013 was there anything memorable as a program for you. And I've got to say, not much. Certainly not much in singles for me...maybe Fernandez's & Leonova's Pirates and Dai's Souls & Blues for Klook and Jason Brown's LP in 2011 (notice that none of these skaters won their respective worlds).

    Usually what sticks in my mind are the OSPs/ODs. In the last quad, there were a lot of very memorable ODs, and the Kerrs Erin Shore was definitely one of them, as was D&W's Bollywood and Delobel & Schoenfelder's Breton Dance, and perhaps V&M's Farrucas. I think the folk dance theme brought out a lot of interesting dances, and I thoroughly enjoyed those 2 seasons of ODs. I love seeing types of dances that I haven't seen done on skates translated to the ice However, this is the first year that the SD's have brought anything much to the table in the way of striking programs. Who can remember any of the 2010-2011 waltz SD's, and the Latin SD's from last season weren't very memorable either. Part of that is due to the fact that we've seen lots of waltzes over the years, and lots of Latin on Ice; they all run together.

    I definitely don't think a program has to be a winning program to be memorable; Toller Cranston never won Worlds.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-08-2012 at 02:53 AM.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,495
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Hopefully the good ones!! Die Fliedermaus David and White, Blues for Klook Takahashi, Pina S/S hopefully. I think ladies is tougher maybe Kostner's from 2012. So well recieved all year but I guess few are talking about it now!! But maybe when her jumping level isn't so big it may grow?

    FOr negative programs It's from the previous cycle but how about Aboriginal D/S?!? It has never been performed at a GP or Euros or worlds but you know about I/K's Ghost already! Wowza!!
    I think before D and W's programs, V and M deserved to be remembered more for their Oly long program; I am not sure Ssquared are really a memorable team andthus performance though they are good. G and G's Oly lps both may be remembered; Baiul's Oly short program, almost all of Kwan's long programs after 1995 and Maria Butyrskaya's Otonal world winning performance wills tand out in my mind. I disagree that B and S from Russia should be grouped with many other world winning pairs from Russia or prior Russian teams.

  6. #21
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,521
    Mahler

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    339
    I'm a bit surprised no one else has chimed in with Hanyu's Romeo & Juliet LP from last season. I admit I haven't been around for 20+ years, but I can't count how many times I rewatched his world's FS performance over the summer. There's just something about it that I can't exactly pinpoint, and its impact on me is what pushed me into my current level of figure skating interest. While I really liked a lot of other programs from last season (W/P's FD, Blues for Klook, Jeremy Abbott's SP) this is the one I can see myself remembering long into the future.

  8. #23
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    14,308
    V&M's Mahler was a memorable program from the last quad...but it was this quad that the OP asked about.

  9. #24
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,087
    Exogenesis Symphony #3 (Abbott's LP from last year) will be a 20 year program for me, especially his performance from Nationals. He had the derring do to skate to music created in the last decade and it was just amazing. His transitions in and out of his elements were seemless and flowed with the music as opposed to being transitions for transitions' sake and his ChStSeq just totally nailed the mood and phrasing of the music in my opinion. Even though I am a(n) (adult) lady skater, I hold this program up as a gold standard of artistic relevance for IJS-constructed programs.

  10. #25
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,369
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Usually what sticks in my mind are the OSPs/ODs. In the last quad, there were a lot of very memorable ODs, and the Kerrs Erin Shore was definitely one of them, as was D&W's Bollywood and Delobel & Schoenfelder's Breton Dance, and perhaps V&M's Farrucas. I think the folk dance theme brought out a lot of interesting dances, and I thoroughly enjoyed those 2 seasons of ODs. I love seeing types of dances that I haven't seen done on skates translated to the ice However, this is the first year that the SD's have brought anything much to the table in the way of striking programs. Who can remember any of the 2010-2011 waltz SD's, and the Latin SD's from last season weren't very memorable either. Part of that is due to the fact that we've seen lots of waltzes over the years, and lots of Latin on Ice; they all run together.
    I agree that quite a few ODs and OSPs have been memorable. I think R/K's Quickstep, a.k.a. the Finnstep, is an example of an older one. There was some good stuff with the folk ODs - in addition to your picks, I'd throw in P/B's Flamenco and F/S's OD from the Olympic season. But yes, that is indeed not in this Olympic quad, and the SD format isn't nearly as interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Exogenesis Symphony #3 (Abbott's LP from last year) will be a 20 year program for me, especially his performance from Nationals. He had the derring do to skate to music created in the last decade and it was just amazing. His transitions in and out of his elements were seemless and flowed with the music as opposed to being transitions for transitions' sake and his ChStSeq just totally nailed the mood and phrasing of the music in my opinion. Even though I am a(n) (adult) lady skater, I hold this program up as a gold standard of artistic relevance for IJS-constructed programs.
    For me, the Kerrs' programs to this music were far more memorable than Jeremy's (Doris - that was their 2010-11 FD). It helped that they could use the original with the lyrics rather than resorting to muzakking. I also felt it worked better in general as a dance program, and by the time Jeremy was skating to it, it didn't feel as fresh.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    768
    Blues for Klook. It immediately came to mind when I saw this question. No other program in this quadrennium has been, to me, so memorable and such a signature piece for the skater. Pina comes close, though. And Exogenesis. D/W's Die Fledermaus. Abbott's Sing Sing Sing SP was really great too.

    Other distinctive programs I'll remember from this quad (though not sure if they'll stand the 20-year test): Mao's Liebestraum, Akiko's Fiddler on the Roof, Alissa's Winter LP, S/S's Pink Panther, V/M's Latin SD, Takahashi's 2011 Latin SD, Weaver/Poje's Je Suis Malade, Yankowskas/Coughlin's Ave Maria.

    For me it's too soon to decide which of this season's programs will make the list.

  12. #27
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Blues for Klook. It immediately came to mind when I saw this question. No other program in this quadrennium has been, to me, so memorable and such a signature piece for the skater. Pina comes close, though. And Exogenesis. D/W's Die Fledermaus. Abbott's Sing Sing Sing SP was really great too.

    Other distinctive programs I'll remember from this quad (though not sure if they'll stand the 20-year test): Mao's Liebestraum, Akiko's Fiddler on the Roof, Alissa's Winter LP, S/S's Pink Panther, V/M's Latin SD, Takahashi's 2011 Latin SD, Weaver/Poje's Je Suis Malade, Yankowskas/Coughlin's Ave Maria.

    For me it's too soon to decide which of this season's programs will make the list.
    Yes, I think Asada's Liebestraume will be remembered as the program that meant Mao's breakdown, she performed it disastrously so many times (but there were fantastic performances of it, too, like 4CC and NHK!)

  13. #28
    Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT
    Yes, I think Asada's Liebestraume will be remembered as the program that meant Mao's breakdown, she performed it disastrously so many times (but there were fantastic performances of it, too, like 4CC and NHK!)
    Maybe Mao can make her Swan Lake LP the one remembered as her rebirth then

  14. #29
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,897
    I think that is memorable,what is perfect. Perfect performance.

  15. #30
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    For me, the Kerrs' programs to this music were far more memorable than Jeremy's (Doris - that was their 2010-11 FD). It helped that they could use the original with the lyrics rather than resorting to muzakking. I also felt it worked better in general as a dance program, and by the time Jeremy was skating to it, it didn't feel as fresh.
    I always think of that FD of theirs as Muse Part 2-and it's Muse part 1 that I remember, especially since they didn't go to Worlds, and Europeans is never televised here; I have to watch it on youtube.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •