Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Programs that will still be talked about in 20+ years?

Rinkside
    I loved the Bollywood theme of Davis and White (with which they were second eventually at the last Olympics), Caro's lovely FP last year while I also enjoyed Takahashi's from last year. The overall winner is still Yagudin's Winter SP in 2002 though, and I also loved Alexander Abt's SP in the same year. But these last two are already too old for this particular thread. Even the Bollywood theme is probably (although does the WC 2006 already count for the new quadrennial?).

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Christine, Welcome to Golden Skate! Post long & often!

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Maybe Mao can make her Swan Lake LP the one remembered as her rebirth then
    I like this program, but I wish she had used a different cut. Basically, it's an extended version of Baiul's SP, with the same cuts. I'm glad she didn't do the tragic route, but I think she could've used a different cut, whilst avoiding the tragic ending.

I remember last year, people were saying that Asada would make a wonderful white swan, and Kim would make a wonderful black swan. It looks like we got half of our wish!

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I like this program, but I wish she had used a different cut. Basically, it's an extended version of Baiul's SP, with the same cuts. I'm glad she didn't do the tragic route, but I think she could've used a different cut, whilst avoiding the tragic ending.

I remember last year, people were saying that Asada would make a wonderful white swan, and Kim would make a wonderful black swan. It looks like we got half of our wish!
    I got my whole wish, i wanted Mao to give a uniq Swan Lake and i got it, and i'm totally in love with it!

Programs that I will still be talking about 20 years from now
    Caroline Zhang's 2011-2012 Short Program 3R-3R. ENOUGH SAID!
    Leah Keiser's 2010-2011 Long Program Best Program Layout Ever
    Alissa Cziny's 2010-2011 Long Program soothing music, excellent line
    Savchenko and Szolkowy 2010-2011 Long Program They really brought The Pink Panther to life
    Angela Wang's 2011-2012 Long Program This program was a high scorer, and was a huge part of making Angela Wang relavant

Does anybody agree?

Medalist
    To me, it seems that there is far too much enthusiasm for most of the programs we have seen in the past three seasons. I have watched skating in detail since 1967, and in regard to what programs will be added to my memories of skating that last 20+ years, I can only include two from the past three seasons. These two are memorable for me because they are choreographic masterpieces coupled with wonderful music and good performances.

1. Kostner's Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun,
    2. Moskvina's Clare de Lune for Kavaguti/Smirnoff.

To me, no other pieces of moving art have been created that would warrant remembering them 20 years later. For example, who can forget Lyra Angelica? Peggy Flemming's 1967 program? Janet Lynn's Afternoon of a Faun? The Protopopov's Moonlight Sonata? T/D Bolero? Bezic's SP for Boitano? These programs were art, and that is why we remember them. The two programs above can join this group. I can't think of any other programs, including those of Dai and Chan, YuNa and Asada, S/S, D/W or V/M that should be remembered like these classics.

But, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    To me, it seems that there is far too much enthusiasm for most of the programs we have seen in the past three seasons. I have watched skating in detail since 1967, and in regard to what programs will be added to my memories of skating that last 20+ years, I can only include two from the past three seasons. These two are memorable for me because they are choreographic masterpieces coupled with wonderful music and good performances.

1. I like her Shostakovich SP more because of the insane difficulty of skating to that music. Kostner has had quite a few excellent programs; I also have a soft spot for her Canon in D, Riders on the Storm and Dumky Trio, though these are all older, of course.
    2. That is an underrated program from a currently underrated pair. They are vastly more enjoyable than V/T, who are wasting their talent on horrible programs that won't be remembered 20 minutes from now, let alone 20 years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post

The ending is the same as Baiul's but Oksana's didn't use the familiar part that is at the beginning of Mao's program. I do like both the cuts and the program. I do not think that Mao brings half of what Oksana brought to her program in terms of artistic impact. I also think Sasha Cohen's Swan Lake is going to be more remembered than Mao's.

Well, check it on YouTube! We can see which are legendary..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    Thumbs up on K/S's Claire de Lune. That is definitely a signature program for them and very memorable.

Ladies
    Kostner's 2012 worlds long program. People will be talking about it primarily as an example of how low the level of ladies skating used to be

Men
    I would say Patrick's Aranjuez. He was unbeatable with it and it will be remebered as a beautiful program and the one that was the peak of Chanflation.
    Also Patrick's Phantom and maybe Boheme? Definitely Daisuke's Blues for Klook and Yuzuru's Romeo. Just because they were all beutiful .

Pairs
    I hope S&S Pina and V&T Swan and this season long

Ice Dancing
    Definitely Die Fledermaus. Americans won't let anyone forget about it.

If we add 2009-2010 season, then surely Yuna's, V&M, Mao's free skates, Xue&Zhao's short program -just perfection. Also Evan's olympic long as the one that gave him gold without a quad.

But when it comes to the programs that I find the best (these are all ladies ) I have to mention
    1. Yuna's Giselle - her best short program ever! I found it so touching and elegant.
    2. Mao's Scheherazade at NHK - now that was her best short in a long time.
    3. Ashley's Black Swan - just a masterpiece
    and now the ones that will definitely be not remembered by all and never forgotten by me
    4. Caroline Zhang - 2012 nationals sp - I almost cried when I saw it and it touches me everytime I watch it. Such an improvement from here yet so underscored.
    5. Makarova's Maria and the Violin String - mainly because she chose such a great music and interpretes it very well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    Ladies
    But when it comes to the programs that I find the best (these are all ladies ) I have to mention
    1. Yuna's Giselle - her best short program ever! I found it so touching and elegant.

I think Yu-na's Arirang LP might have become a classic if she'd competed it for a whole season. I thought it was a beautiful, moving program even just the one time we saw it at Worlds. And I think it would have really developed if she'd competed it more. (She may have performed it again in shows that I'm not aware of, but for most of us, the Worlds performance was our only viewing.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    I'm a bit surprised no one else has chimed in with Hanyu's Romeo & Juliet LP from last season. I admit I haven't been around for 20+ years, but I can't count how many times I rewatched his world's FS performance over the summer. There's just something about it that I can't exactly pinpoint, and its impact on me is what pushed me into my current level of figure skating interest. While I really liked a lot of other programs from last season (W/P's FD, Blues for Klook, Jeremy Abbott's SP) this is the one I can see myself remembering long into the future.
    I totally agree with your selections there. Hanyu's Romeo and Juliet FS was really special, easily my fav last year and likely for a very long time. He was at the right age, with the right package and he totally gelled with that piece of work like fish to water. I loved it since its Exhibition stage early in the season and just thought wow this kid absolutely got it and surely will go far. Like you, I've enjoyed Weaver and Poje's Je Suis Malade; Dai's Blues for Klooks and Jeremy's Muse were all among my favs. I will also add Patrick's Elegie in E gala program as well. They all defined the type of skating I really appreciate, something that pushes their portfolio progressively, athletically, technically, artistically, philosophically and musically without feeling artificial or contrived. Although I'd argue for a program that will last beyond 20 years, some good competition results must in support, if not that, then some special and unforgettable occasion will be required. Such as Michelle Kwan's field of Gold.

In general, it is no secret I am have a huge fan of Yuna Kim and thought she really brought something unique and brilliant with her: Lark Ascending, Tango De Roxanne, Danse Macabre, Gershwin, Bond, Arirang, All of Me etc. which all defined the best of Ladies figure skating during this era of COP format style programs, at least to me. It shows despite its limitations, it can still produce some spectacular programs that has a good balance technical prowess and artistry with the right skater. I consider her among the most musical and versatile skaters around, and the fact these programs wins competitions is just as amazing. She is one of the few rare skaters that conforms to my personal idea of the 'ying and the yang' that makes up the sport and arts (Mixture of eastern philosophy:'Truth, Goodness & Beauty', and western school of art/design appraisal: 'forms, function, concept, process, aesthetics, musicality') and what construed as a worthy artistic program. I admit, these strict criteria probably have little to do COP requirement or what attract skating fans to the sport initially, but I personally think these are the very key ingredients to win over new audience's heart to the sport. In the rare occasions where the stars aligns, these programs recalls big Eureka moments that are worth celebrating and rejoice.

This year I will add V&M's Carmen to that list.
    Last edited by os168; 11-10-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Bolero by T&D
    Carmen by Katarina Witt and Debi Thomas
    Salome- Michelle Kwan
    Man In The Iron Mask- Alexei Yagudin
    Lyra Angelica- Michelle Kwan.
    Gershwin-Yu-Na Kim.
    Tango de roxanne- Yu-Na Kim.
    Turandot- Shizuka Arakawa.
    Conquest- Todd Eldredge.
    Daphnis et Chloe- Sarah Hughes.
    Malaguena by Sasha Cohen.
    Dark Eyes- Sasha Cohen.
    The Swan- Johnny Weir.
    Scheherazade- Evan Lysacek.
    Blues on Klook- Daisuke Takahashi.
    The Black Swan- Ashley Wagner.
    Samson and Delilah- Ashley Wagner.
    Phantom of the Opera- Patrick Chan.
    Piano Concerto 2011 Worlds LP Takahiko Kozuka.
    1989 Worlds LP Midori Ito.
    Die Fliedermaus- D&W.
    Love Story by S&P.
    Tosca-Michelle Kwan.
    Concerto de Aranjuez- Michelle Kwan.
    Rachmaninoff by Chen Lu.
    The Rainbow-Tara Lipinski.
    Pina by S&S.
    Otonal- Maria Butyrskaya.
    Scene D'Amour-Maria Butyrskaya.
    The Nutcracker- Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao.
    Turandot- Shen and Zhao.
    East of Eden-Michelle Kwan.
    Rachmaninoff- Michelle Kwan.
    Prelude to an Afternoon Faun-Janet Lynn.
    The Mission by Miki Ando.
    Swan Lake by Mao Asada.
    Masquerade Waltz-Mao Asada.
    Winter- Alexei Yagudin.
    O by Akiko Suzuki.
    Hungarian Rhapsody by Akiko Suzuki.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Honestly I think the only programs we will remember down the line are:
    Virtue and Moir's Mahler
    Davis and White Samson and Delilah/Die Flaudermauss
    Yu-na's Bond Girl

maybe Kostner's Prelude to a Faun...it deserves to be remembered but fear it won't if she dosen't medal at/win worlds again to solidify her place in the history books.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast