Ilinykh and Katsalapov's FD | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ilinykh and Katsalapov's FD

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I give this team credit because the style is different than the past; I do think I prefer Zhulin but I prefer they go to Krylova and Carmelango and work on techinque. This team has the ability to bring it on but time is ticking. I am not sure about the voice overs but the concept is intriguing. I would like this team to be more refined say than even Gritschuk and Platov - fast, but not too frenetic, yet crisp and precise.

katia

On the Ice
Myself, I disliked their long program, it left me cold. They are very good skaters and I think they improved their skating, but the program has no new moves. And the dialogue is very distracting.

alithia

Final Flight
I think it's the first year I like I/K and it turns out it's the year they are controversial..LOL
I can understand that the Ghost musical and movie isn't a big favorite of the majority of people but at least they tried to be different.For them it's a departure.I still prefer B/S FD and B/S generally but there was something in I/K's skating both in the SD and FD that was very appealing to me.I should shoot myself for saying this.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I like them too and I'm not about to shoot myself. Looking forward to how they polish these too dances. IMHO, I think a lot of the hate stems from issues beyond the ice and personal bias. Zhulin going out of his way to paint them in the worst possible light at almost every opportunity he gets doesn't help either. That was disappointing given that he is a mature man. How quickly he has forgotten his own checkered past. I thought he would be more charitable. But a man must get his pound of flesh as they say.

Let's face it though they are young, I'm choosing to be optimistic not everyone blossoms early, look for example at P/B. Even D/W and V/M needed time to get to where they were even 4 yrs ago. I choose to be optimistic. Being hateful won't help them especially if they read these boards. I pray to God they stay far away.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm for being optimistic about them.

:slink: but I do wish they would stop killing each other off in their programs (Elena got shot in Schindler's List, and now Nikita in Ghost). In fact, I don't see this FD as new for them, but as a repeat of their controversial Schlinder's List program, but with worse music & a voiceover.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Nothing was worse than their Ghetto-Holocaust-Fashion-Show of a free dance. I maintain that if that was the first program in figure skating I'd ever seen, I would never watch another one. Ghost, despite being to worse music, is just bad.

bramwled, part of the reason I/K are so scrutinized comes from the titanic level of hype they received as a new junior team.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Such a shame, but after watching that monstrosity of a program, it will be a fridge break or a potty break at Worlds for me. They are 2 talented and attractive kids who deserve better than what they were given.......I hope they move on to someone else next year. I'm not a fan of theirs by any means, but I still don't like to see this.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Results of any team or skater moving to a new coach season of olympics is not very good but you can find some exceptions.

Macassar88

Medalist
If they could just get better choreography it would be okay - but I think that moving to a better coach would be nice too - look at how many improvements Bobrova and Soloviev made during the offseason with Zhulin!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, B&S showed what can be achieved if a team really works with Zhulin, but I rather doubt I&K will be going back to Zhulin any time soon.

Macassar88

Medalist
Yes, B&S showed what can be achieved if a team really works with Zhulin, but I rather doubt I&K will be going back to Zhulin any time soon.
ITA, but my main point was that, if a coach and team really gel and both coach and team are gifted, they can work wonders even in less than a year. So if Ilinykh and Katsalapov were to leave Morozov, I wouldn't completely despair for their future.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, but at this point, where are they going to go, and will it make a difference?

They certainly did not make the advances with Zhulin that B&S have; I will not speculate why.

Yes, a coach can make a big difference in a year in dance if a team is really dedicated & really hard working & really talented; B&S have shown that is true.

Sometimes it takes longer, but still works (Weaver & Poje and Krylova & co.)

Macassar88

Medalist
Yes, but at this point, where are they going to go, and will it make a difference?

They certainly did not make the advances with Zhulin that B&S have; I will not speculate why.

Yes, a coach can make a big difference in a year in dance if a team is really dedicated & really hard working & really talented; B&S have shown that is true.

Sometimes it takes longer, but still works (Weaver & Poje and Krylova & co.)

Personally, I don't think that they will even have a shot at the podium in Sochi because of their lack of work ethic. And even if they did start working hard today, I feel like they are behind 6 teams and would have to beat four of them to medal. And it's not like any of those six teams are slacking. That said, I don't want them to give up. If they work really hard and show massive improvement, they might be rewarded, or a team ahead of them may fall on steps or something and lose massive points. And them not medalling in Sochi wouldn't be the end of the world. If they started working their asses off with a good coach now, they could lay down a good foundation for a charge at 2018.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Personally, I don't think that they will even have a shot at the podium in Sochi because of their lack of work ethic. And even if they did start working hard today, I feel like they are behind 6 teams and would have to beat four of them to medal. And it's not like any of those six teams are slacking. That said, I don't want them to give up. If they work really hard and show massive improvement, they might be rewarded, or a team ahead of them may fall on steps or something and lose massive points. And them not medalling in Sochi wouldn't be the end of the world. If they started working their asses off with a good coach now, they could lay down a good foundation for a charge at 2018.

After Sochi zueva will lose two teams to retirement and if they want to move back to Detroit they could. Or was it just illynikh there? Anyway maybe she could convince katsalpov to go to detroit. Unless she retires to have kids with morozov or something after sochi lol!!! Best thing might be her breaking off the relationship and moving away. Like miki ando. No engagement no more coaching but that's also a different situation as she is older and near retirement anyway she doesn't like it that much now. I/k needs to face a c/l or p/b or even b/s but I/ k could definitely lose to the shibutanis as has been shown before this season.