Thread: Steven Spielberg's Lincoln

Hybrid View

Steven Spielberg's Lincoln

Anyone else excited for this film? I've been waiting for this movie to come out since it was announced 5+ years ago in Spielbergian fan sites that he was taking the book "Team of rivals" and making it into a film. Liam Neeson was originally contracted to be Lincoln, but for reasons I don't think were ever made known to the public he backed out - in fact the entire original cast, save for Sally Field (Mary Todd Lincoln), was recast and here finally we are!

It looks like it's going to be really good. Still not sure how I feel about Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln - but that's just based on the previews. Gotta wait and see the whole thing before I have a full opinion!

http://www.youtube.com/user/lincolnm...eature=pvchclk

So far neither theatre here has gotten the go ahead from the distributers to show the film, though, so I might be out of luck till it's on DVD... but it's Spielberg, how could they not show it?!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That looks like a good one--but I want to see Argo, and haven't yet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_(2012_film)

Custom Title
    It looks great, doesn't it? I think Day-Lewis could be very good. He's a real chameleon and disappears into a role. Sally Field is a favorite actress of mine, all through her career. And I love just about anything about Lincoln--though I did draw the line at Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

I kind of want to see Argo too. Everyone who's seen it praises it lavishly, but I'm such a chicken, and I know how tense it is. Isn't it amazing how talented Ben Affleck has turned out as a director?

Our theatre is not showing it as of now. Maybe on Friday it will be up on the marquee.

Custom Title
    I think its first week was a limited opening in several cities, and it's due to be nationwide at the end of this week. Even if it doesn't play near everyone, I suspect that this film will be one that can be savored on DVD down the line, because though it's scenic, it isn't epic in the sense of having sweeping battle scenes.

I likely won't see it til it hits dvd, but I am excited. I am not a big fan of Sally field. She is /was so pretty/cute-naturally pretty, but I find her voice annoying. Norma rae was good but that other flick about keeping her house was just annoying. I will never forget her bizarre and much imitated Oscar acceptance speech. Maybe her voice is matured and she does a good job opposite Lewis. This movie should be great. Speilberg and an incredible giant of American history. I wait for these movies to come out. 500 awful flicks at the Redbox come out every year for one movie like this. Argo has great reviews. It seems they release the Oscar worthy flicks in the fourth quarter every year. I am depressed there isn't much new. I guess I need to join netflix and ask you guys...I have missed many great movies i am sure for 27 years. So, I need to find a list of great movies since the 80's see what I have missed and ask you guys, as you have great taste in films. maybe I will go to the movies...I just am more comfortable at home and I balk at paying 12 bucks.

I watched Patton for the 25th time on TCM-they have some great movies this month-all I have seen tho. I have this movie, and am always fascinated. I am a huge fan of WW2 histories, and Patton is one of the best war movies. His performance and life is very compelling to believe in reincarnation, tho that is a verboten belief for christians as you know. Anyone seen any great old films? I tend to turn the TV on and ignore it. I know I am missing some good shows.

BTW, whatever happened to SMASH? I just realized their season must have started...gotta google I guess.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Just saw this movie this afternoon and I have to say it was amazing!!! A great cast and Daniel day Lewis was spot on as Lincoln! And it was historically accurate. I will tell anyone who sees it that yet don't have credits to open the film....so stay to the end where you will be surprised to find out that James Spader had a part in the film...he was unrecognizable!!! I would recommended this film to anyone. In fact, I would put this movie in my top three movies of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Just saw this movie this afternoon and I have to say it was amazing!!! A great cast and Daniel day Lewis was spot on as Lincoln! And it was historically accurate. I will tell anyone who sees it that yet don't have credits to open the film....so stay to the end where you will be surprised to find out that James Spader had a part in the film...he was unrecognizable!!! I would recommended this film to anyone. In fact, I would put this movie in my top three movies of all time!
    Good to know, looks like I won't see it until it's out on DVD. No one is showing it in Kenai/Soldotna... so I'm outta luck.

How did a thread about Lincoln mention the Kardashians? Arrrgghhhh.

I saw it last night and thought Daniel Day-Lewis is on his way to another Oscar. He is simply amazing. Some of the speeches are so stirring and there is a lot of humor too. Be prepared for ghastly battle scenes though -- really heartbreaking.

I would expect nothing less from Spielberg (re: battle scenes) I survived Schindler, ryan, Munich, and war horse (barely)... so I guess I will try to survive Lincoln... if I ever see it in theaters...

Custom Title
    Thanks for the reports, sillylionlove (Are you a Narnia fan? Love your screen name!) and Kitt. As for the battle scenes, I'm still recovering from the ones in Glory. I'll be on the alert, if I get to see this. Otherwise, I'm so glad to hear that this is so well and faithfully executed. Great to hear that Spader is in it. He's wonderful, and one of the best things about him is his voice. I'm also eager to see Hal Holbrook, someone who's been involved with Lincoln depictions before.

What did you two think of Sally Field? She certainly had a challenge with Mary Lincoln, who was in such a difficult position as a nervy, unpopular, deeply besieged First Lady. She was made to be a society belle, a political hostess, a facilitator for the advancement of her husband's career, all of which she had done effectively up to that time, and suddenly there she was in perhaps the most thankless circumstances a President's wife was ever in through all of American history. (Maybe excepting poor Pat Nixon.) She wasn't just too extravagant for America's wartime tastes. She was a Southerner herself, with brothers serving in the Confederate Army. And then she lost her son. If Sally Field can convey all that, my hat's off to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    What did you two think of Sally Field? She certainly had a challenge with Mary Lincoln, who was in such a difficult position as a nervy, unpopular, deeply besieged First Lady. She was made to be a society belle, a political hostess, a facilitator for the advancement of her husband's career, all of which she had done effectively up to that time, and suddenly there she was in perhaps the most thankless circumstances a President's wife was ever in through all of American history. (Maybe excepting poor Pat Nixon.) She wasn't just too extravagant for America's wartime tastes. She was a Southerner herself, with brothers serving in the Confederate Army. And then she lost her son. If Sally Field can convey all that, my hat's off to her.
    And then after her husband died another son finally had her committed. She got the mark of being crazy... If she gets mentioned at all... I only remember learning about her on my own, she was not a first lady who was talked about by school teachers.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    There is the opening battle scene (similar to saving private Ryan) and one towards the end. There really aren't any other major battle scenes in the movie. i also think Tommy Lee Jones and David Straithern (sp) should be nominated as well because they were terrific!! The funniest scene to me was when he talked about Ethan Allen and the picture of George Washington....that's a true story as Ethan Allen really did say that. . My husband who is a history buff said that it was one. Of the most historically acurate movies he has even seen. Sally field was excellent as well. She portrayed the part well. Although I didn't realize that Mary Todd Lincoln was so crazy! I also like how the movie dealt with his assignation. In case you were wondering the movie is based in his effort to pass the 13th amendment. The movie clocks in at about 2 1/2 hours but seriously from the first 30 seconds you are drawn in and the movie never lags or has down time. When it was over I was like that didn't seem like two and a half hours!! And about an hour and a half into the movie after drinking thy super large soda I had to use the restroom but since I didn't want to miss anything I held it in....yes the movie was that good!!
    Last edited by sillylionlove; 11-17-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Most movies like lincoln arent blockbusters, but it will make spielberg money for sure.

Btw, 40 is not old... And i am not retired but i have a job where my hours are insanely flexible.