Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Steven Spielberg's Lincoln

I'll stick with my pug puppy calendar!

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Just saw this movie this afternoon and I have to say it was amazing!!! A great cast and Daniel day Lewis was spot on as Lincoln! And it was historically accurate. I will tell anyone who sees it that yet don't have credits to open the film....so stay to the end where you will be surprised to find out that James Spader had a part in the film...he was unrecognizable!!! I would recommended this film to anyone. In fact, I would put this movie in my top three movies of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Just saw this movie this afternoon and I have to say it was amazing!!! A great cast and Daniel day Lewis was spot on as Lincoln! And it was historically accurate. I will tell anyone who sees it that yet don't have credits to open the film....so stay to the end where you will be surprised to find out that James Spader had a part in the film...he was unrecognizable!!! I would recommended this film to anyone. In fact, I would put this movie in my top three movies of all time!
    Good to know, looks like I won't see it until it's out on DVD. No one is showing it in Kenai/Soldotna... so I'm outta luck.

How did a thread about Lincoln mention the Kardashians? Arrrgghhhh.

I saw it last night and thought Daniel Day-Lewis is on his way to another Oscar. He is simply amazing. Some of the speeches are so stirring and there is a lot of humor too. Be prepared for ghastly battle scenes though -- really heartbreaking.

I would expect nothing less from Spielberg (re: battle scenes) I survived Schindler, ryan, Munich, and war horse (barely)... so I guess I will try to survive Lincoln... if I ever see it in theaters...

Custom Title
    Thanks for the reports, sillylionlove (Are you a Narnia fan? Love your screen name!) and Kitt. As for the battle scenes, I'm still recovering from the ones in Glory. I'll be on the alert, if I get to see this. Otherwise, I'm so glad to hear that this is so well and faithfully executed. Great to hear that Spader is in it. He's wonderful, and one of the best things about him is his voice. I'm also eager to see Hal Holbrook, someone who's been involved with Lincoln depictions before.

What did you two think of Sally Field? She certainly had a challenge with Mary Lincoln, who was in such a difficult position as a nervy, unpopular, deeply besieged First Lady. She was made to be a society belle, a political hostess, a facilitator for the advancement of her husband's career, all of which she had done effectively up to that time, and suddenly there she was in perhaps the most thankless circumstances a President's wife was ever in through all of American history. (Maybe excepting poor Pat Nixon.) She wasn't just too extravagant for America's wartime tastes. She was a Southerner herself, with brothers serving in the Confederate Army. And then she lost her son. If Sally Field can convey all that, my hat's off to her.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    There is the opening battle scene (similar to saving private Ryan) and one towards the end. There really aren't any other major battle scenes in the movie. i also think Tommy Lee Jones and David Straithern (sp) should be nominated as well because they were terrific!! The funniest scene to me was when he talked about Ethan Allen and the picture of George Washington....that's a true story as Ethan Allen really did say that. . My husband who is a history buff said that it was one. Of the most historically acurate movies he has even seen. Sally field was excellent as well. She portrayed the part well. Although I didn't realize that Mary Todd Lincoln was so crazy! I also like how the movie dealt with his assignation. In case you were wondering the movie is based in his effort to pass the 13th amendment. The movie clocks in at about 2 1/2 hours but seriously from the first 30 seconds you are drawn in and the movie never lags or has down time. When it was over I was like that didn't seem like two and a half hours!! And about an hour and a half into the movie after drinking thy super large soda I had to use the restroom but since I didn't want to miss anything I held it in....yes the movie was that good!!
    Last edited by sillylionlove; 11-17-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    What did you two think of Sally Field? She certainly had a challenge with Mary Lincoln, who was in such a difficult position as a nervy, unpopular, deeply besieged First Lady. She was made to be a society belle, a political hostess, a facilitator for the advancement of her husband's career, all of which she had done effectively up to that time, and suddenly there she was in perhaps the most thankless circumstances a President's wife was ever in through all of American history. (Maybe excepting poor Pat Nixon.) She wasn't just too extravagant for America's wartime tastes. She was a Southerner herself, with brothers serving in the Confederate Army. And then she lost her son. If Sally Field can convey all that, my hat's off to her.
    And then after her husband died another son finally had her committed. She got the mark of being crazy... If she gets mentioned at all... I only remember learning about her on my own, she was not a first lady who was talked about by school teachers.

Custom Title
    Yeah, that must have been an incredible body blow, to have Robert commit her. In those days, who knew where the line was between desperation and outright illness, and she sounds as if she were at best emotionally difficult, and at worst actually around the bend--and there weren't therapists in those days, nor was there medication (except laudanum, an addictive opiate). It's hard to know which of the two to sympathize with, her or Robert. Probably both.

Interesting story about Robert, from several sources: Near the end of the war, he was on a train that lurched, and he was almost thrown off. He was grabbed and kept safe by someone standing nearby, who turned out to be Edwin Booth. Lincoln wasn't that well known by sight, so Booth didn't recognize him, but Lincoln certainly recognized Booth. Later Booth was told whom he had saved. There's a poignant line about it in the Wiki article: "The incident was said to have been of some comfort to Edwin Booth following his brother's assassination of the President."
    Last edited by Olympia; 11-17-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yeah, that must have been an incredible body blow, to have Robert commit her. In those days, who knew where the line was between desperation and outright illness, and she sounds as if she were at best emotionally difficult, and at worst actually around the bend--and there weren't therapists in those days, nor was there medication (except laudanum, an addictive opiate). It's hard to know which of the two to sympathize with, her or Robert. Probably both."

I didn't know much about Mrs. Lincoln previously, except that she had migraines. Having had these, I can attest that you might be driven crazy by them (luckily in our time we have wonderful medication). So I sympathize with her. And I think Sally Field did a very fine job with the role.

Custom Title
    I can imagine. Added to her other problems, the migraines would certainly have complicated matters and added to the tension. And she may have been one of those brittle, mercurial personalities who don't tend to do well in stressful, unpredictable situations. Add to that the fact that she was sitting next to her husband when he was shot and killed. I wouldn't have been a bastion of serenity in such a situation.

I've been reading up on first ladies, and one impressive one from this era is Lucy Hayes, known to history as Lemonade Lucy because she was a temperance supporter. She was also a firm abolitionist from the beginning, as was her husband, Rutherford Hayes (who served from 1877-1881). He was an officer in the Civil War, and she visited him often at the front. This woman was made of sterner stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I didn't know much about Mrs. Lincoln previously, except that she had migraines. Having had these, I can attest that you might be driven crazy by them (luckily in our time we have wonderful medication). So I sympathize with her. And I think Sally Field did a very fine job with the role.
    Both Lincoln and Todd Lincoln suffered from them... I'm guessing it was stress plus the medicine of the day that plagued them...

I'm more apt to believe that Mary was not insane, despressed after all she'd been through sure, but not insane.

Lincoln is now showing in our theater! Yay! Was dismayed to see people calling him racists, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Lincoln is now showing in our theater! Yay! Was dismayed to see people calling him racists, etc.
    That's how we're taught today, and I think it's shocking my generation to even find out that Lincoln didn't become president just to free teh slaves - and that the Civil War was not about slavery as far as he was concerned. In society today that makes him racist.

Custom Title
    Clearly Lincoln's thoughts underwent a change. Frederick Douglass met with him several times and observed as much. By the way, Douglass met with Lincoln at the White House. At that time he was one of the first African Americans, if not the very first, to be an invited guest at the White House. This indicates that although Lincoln had some of the limitations of his era, he pushed through them further than many people of his time. There were certainly more ardent abolitionists than Lincoln, but he came to understand his obligations as a man and as a leader. A sentence that I believe comes from his debates with Stephen Douglas, which is quoted in Aaron Copland's "A Lincoln Portrait" is "It is the same spirit that says, ‘You work and toil and earn bread, and I’ll eat it.’ " That sounds like a man who sees the injustice of slave labor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast