Steven Spielberg's Lincoln | Golden Skate

Steven Spielberg's Lincoln

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Anyone else excited for this film? I've been waiting for this movie to come out since it was announced 5+ years ago in Spielbergian fan sites that he was taking the book "Team of rivals" and making it into a film. Liam Neeson was originally contracted to be Lincoln, but for reasons I don't think were ever made known to the public he backed out - in fact the entire original cast, save for Sally Field (Mary Todd Lincoln), was recast and here finally we are!

It looks like it's going to be really good. Still not sure how I feel about Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln - but that's just based on the previews. Gotta wait and see the whole thing before I have a full opinion!

http://www.youtube.com/user/lincolnmovie?feature=pvchclk

So far neither theatre here has gotten the go ahead from the distributers to show the film, though, so I might be out of luck till it's on DVD... but it's Spielberg, how could they not show it?!

It looks great, doesn't it? I think Day-Lewis could be very good. He's a real chameleon and disappears into a role. Sally Field is a favorite actress of mine, all through her career. And I love just about anything about Lincoln--though I did draw the line at Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

I kind of want to see Argo too. Everyone who's seen it praises it lavishly, but I'm such a chicken, and I know how tense it is. Isn't it amazing how talented Ben Affleck has turned out as a director?

Johar

Medalist
Our theatre is not showing it as of now. Maybe on Friday it will be up on the marquee.

I think its first week was a limited opening in several cities, and it's due to be nationwide at the end of this week. Even if it doesn't play near everyone, I suspect that this film will be one that can be savored on DVD down the line, because though it's scenic, it isn't epic in the sense of having sweeping battle scenes.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I likely won't see it til it hits dvd, but I am excited. I am not a big fan of Sally field. She is /was so pretty/cute-naturally pretty, but I find her voice annoying. Norma rae was good but that other flick about keeping her house was just annoying. I will never forget her bizarre and much imitated Oscar acceptance speech. Maybe her voice is matured and she does a good job opposite Lewis. This movie should be great. Speilberg and an incredible giant of American history. I wait for these movies to come out. 500 awful flicks at the Redbox come out every year for one movie like this. Argo has great reviews. It seems they release the Oscar worthy flicks in the fourth quarter every year. I am depressed there isn't much new. I guess I need to join netflix and ask you guys...I have missed many great movies i am sure for 27 years. So, I need to find a list of great movies since the 80's see what I have missed and ask you guys, as you have great taste in films. maybe I will go to the movies...I just am more comfortable at home and I balk at paying 12 bucks.

I watched Patton for the 25th time on TCM-they have some great movies this month-all I have seen tho. I have this movie, and am always fascinated. I am a huge fan of WW2 histories, and Patton is one of the best war movies. His performance and life is very compelling to believe in reincarnation, tho that is a verboten belief for christians as you know. Anyone seen any great old films? I tend to turn the TV on and ignore it. I know I am missing some good shows.

BTW, whatever happened to SMASH? I just realized their season must have started...gotta google I guess.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Feb Toni? UGGGGGGG. Their are Zombie series everywhere-I just feel so cheated by cable-who watches this crap? I like singing/dancing comps but it gets boring after so many seasons. ballroom is great but 12 years or what? Idol aggravates me and I don't like the Voice as it is not about the Voice-truly.

Any good new series. Sally is on late night-and TONI- she has a black dress and very red shoes-not as cute as yours but apple red-call her publicist and ask where she got them. She looks great and not botoxed but her voice is odd.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm enjoying Vegas and Guys with Kids for the new series... one is a drama, the other a sitcom (on Wednesday Nights). Guys With Kids is really clean family fun, it's refreshing for a sitcom... not sure it'll make it past season one though.

Your comment about zombie shows reminded me, Skateluvr: I had to laugh when I went to a recent bookstore. You know that they put out calendars for many of the popular TV shows, such as NCIS and Mad Men and Game of Thrones. At least those photos show off the wonderful costumes or the handsome stars. Well, I spotted a calendar or that zombie TV show--what is it? The Walking Dead or somesuch. Can you imagine? Each month is a photo of some actor in "living dead" makeup with things decaying and dropping off the body...can you imagine having this on your office or kitchen wall.

Back to Lincoln: it's interesting to see how he's portrayed in pictures. I've watched several of the early classics, including Abe Lincoln in Illinois, with Raymond Massey, and Young Mr. Lincoln, with Henry Fonda. The former starred a man who seemed born to play Lincoln; Massey originated the role on Broadway and had the chops for the role, besides having that wonderfully bony face that echoed Lincoln's homely yet compelling features. Fonda was at a glance physically unsuitable for the role, being for my money one of the most beautiful men in Hollywood. Yet his heartland straightforwardness, with his sharp Midwestern intonations (he hailed from Nebraska), suited the role perfectly, and he was able to evoke the visionary quality of a man who felt himself approaching a great destiny. Of course, these portrayals both showed the early Lincoln, where he still could be an ordinary man. In the old days of film, the Presidential Lincoln was often practically entombed in reverential plaster. That Lincoln never spoke, he intoned. He never moved, he posed. It'll be interesting to see what a more modern depiction of him, still loving but not quite so adoring, will achieve. I can understand why filmmakers and biographers return to this man again and again; one never runs out of things to learn and say about him.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Hey! I watch The Walking Dead and enjoy it. Tired of too many CSI and other cop/crime/Housewives Of/Bachelor shows.

Oh, Housewives! When I channel surf, at almost any time of the day or night, the ONLY thing playing on Bravo is a Housewives show. And the housewives all look alike! Girlish long hair and manufactured cleavage.

If you like Walking Dead, then I'm glad you have it to enjoy. Different strokes for different folks! But I have to say, the idea of a Dead Walker of the Month photo on a calendar still gives me a chuckle.

>giggle<

I am envisioning some amalgam of zombies, Housewives, and Kardashians. Can you imagine what that calendar would look like.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Just saw this movie this afternoon and I have to say it was amazing!!! A great cast and Daniel day Lewis was spot on as Lincoln! And it was historically accurate. I will tell anyone who sees it that yet don't have credits to open the film....so stay to the end where you will be surprised to find out that James Spader had a part in the film...he was unrecognizable!!! I would recommended this film to anyone. In fact, I would put this movie in my top three movies of all time!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just saw this movie this afternoon and I have to say it was amazing!!! A great cast and Daniel day Lewis was spot on as Lincoln! And it was historically accurate. I will tell anyone who sees it that yet don't have credits to open the film....so stay to the end where you will be surprised to find out that James Spader had a part in the film...he was unrecognizable!!! I would recommended this film to anyone. In fact, I would put this movie in my top three movies of all time!

Good to know, looks like I won't see it until it's out on DVD. :disapp: No one is showing it in Kenai/Soldotna... so I'm outta luck.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
How did a thread about Lincoln mention the Kardashians? Arrrgghhhh.

I saw it last night and thought Daniel Day-Lewis is on his way to another Oscar. He is simply amazing. Some of the speeches are so stirring and there is a lot of humor too. Be prepared for ghastly battle scenes though -- really heartbreaking.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I would expect nothing less from Spielberg (re: battle scenes) I survived Schindler, ryan, Munich, and war horse (barely)... so I guess I will try to survive Lincoln... if I ever see it in theaters...