Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stretches for Biellmann?

On the Ice

Stretches for Biellmann?

I know I've been having a lot of questions lately.. Sorry to be such a nag
    I've been trying to get the beillmann position (off ice) and can't quite. The leg does stretch as high up as it should, I just can't twist my arm to go above my head when grabbing it. I can only grab it from the side. And the left hand can't even reach. What kind of stretches or exercises are recommended for this? And is it too late at 24...?
    Thanks

Questions are good! That's what the Lutz corner is here for

There are many resources that can help you with this, including videos on youtube that you can search for.

It's never too late, however, the key is flexibility.

Here is one to start you out on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq1C2q9Gh98

It's very important that you stretch, stretch, stretch. You may want to also look at various Yoga poses that are not only good for you, but will help flex the muscles needed for this move.

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Whether you can gain the flexibility required or not is going to depend on your body. Different peoples joints have different ranges of flexibility even with stretching and training. Some people will never get a full split no matte how much they stretch and others will just be able to do it automatically. Try lying on your back and raising your arms above your head straight up beside your ears and push them down towards the ground. If that doesn't give you a stretch you can try standing with your hands clasped in front of you and then push your arms over your head, towards your back.

The Biellmann position is one of the difficultest in figure skating, because it requires big stretch and many people can't do it, even if they stretch over and over, it depends on your body: a lot of top-skaters (Kostner, Korpi, Suzuki, Ando...) don't perform it because they can't reach the required flexibility, when others (Czisny, Lipnitskaya, Zhang, Nagasu) don't have any problem in stretch their body in those difficult positions... It's not automatical, this is what I mean!
    Last edited by FSGMT; 09-11-2012 at 06:54 AM.

And some that have Bielmans have unattractive positions in it since it is a "stretch" position for them flexibility wise and many have back issues/pain

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    And some that have Bielmans have unattractive positions in it since it is a "stretch" position for them flexibility wise and many have back issues/pain
    Liki Miki in 2006: she needed the Biellmann in order to obtain level 4 in the LSp, but it hurt her back so she stopped performing it, or skaters like Courtney Hicks, who has one of the worst Biellmann positions at the moment (you can easily see it at 0:58 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuTKx_wSLwc). Anyway, with today's rules a skater can perform a LSp4 even without a Biellmann (Suzuki and Korpi often receive level 4 for the laybacks), performing a lot of revolutions in the changes between the sideway and the layback positions with a 8-revolutions haircut variation...

Actually, getting that L4 is much harder unless you don't need your 8 revs elsewhere.

On the Ice
    I haven't skated for 12 years so there isn't really any chance for me to ever compete again, it's really just for fun and if it goes well enough, then maybe I'll be able to perform a little. But I'm not concerned about the scoring anyway, just aesthetics. Thanks!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I could not get the back flexibility to perform a Bielman even though I had a good stretch to my spirals...leg flexibility was much easier for me than in the back. After living in constant back pain for a year I just stopped trying.

On the Ice
    I know what you mean. My problem is more with the arms, I think. Anyway... Right now I can't even really spin in camel or layback positions so a Biellmann is out of the question...

Rinkside
    can do the Bielmann but I've been doing stretching exercises for years. Of course my right side is easier than the left, I cannot do one on my left side. You have twist your hand to grab your foot/blade. I'll tell you how I grab mine. Put your right hand or left facing palm down, turn your palm up to the right or left depending on which foot. You four fingers should grab the blade or you foot if you are off ice. It's really tough to explain it here. Hope it helps!

On the Ice
    You actually described it pretty clearly. I can actually now do it (also, only standing on my left leg) and finally able to pull my elbow all the way so it'll face upward! Of course this way I can only pull the foot like half way up, need to lean against the wall for balance, and can only hold the position for a couple of seconds... But it's still progress! Thank you!

On the Ice
    finally got the biellmann position! sort of... =]

Custom Title
    I would like to know if it's possible for anyone to do the Biellmann, without inflicting paralysis, before I even bother with the stretches. My lack of flexibility is so great, I just sense something going wrong. When arched backward, my head is about 4 feet or more, from my feet.

I already tore a labrum attempting to learn straddle splits - that dream is over.

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    There are defiantly people who will never be able to do a Biellmann. But there's no harm in trying the stretches to see if you can get there. Just go slow and be careful. Make sure you're fully warmed up and don't push past your limit. If it hurts stop and accept where your flexibility limit is when you reach it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast