Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

Alba

Record Breaker
http://www.lfpress.com/2015/05/05/t...th-anniversary-tour-of-stars-on-ice-in-canada

“We’re probably the most annoying story in Canadian sports saying we don’t know what’s next,” Moir, the 27-year-old from Ilderton, said, “but we’re being honest. We have days we wake up and say, ‘Yeah, we need another (Olympic) shot’. There are other days we love doing these other parts of our lives. I don’t think we’ll ever lose that feeling of wanting to be at the Olympic Games and represent Canada. I’ll feel that way for the rest of my life.”

They understand, after taking a year away from the daily training grind, the target must be the 2016-17 skating season, at the latest. That would give them one full campaign of Grand Prix and world competition before the 2018 Olympics set for Pyeongchang, Korea.

“We have to be realistic,” Moir said. “We’re not coming back unless it’s to become Olympic champions again. If we’re in, we’re in. You’ll see in the next eight months or so getting into better shape than I was at the (last) Games so I’m ready to pounce if that’s an option.

“There’s no way it’ll be me being fat and out of shape holding us back.”

Alba

Record Breaker
Master classes with Tessa and Scott.

http://lindtboutique.ca/lindtonice/
Locations and dates
– MAY 20 (Richmond, B.C.)

– JULY 7 (London, ON)

– JULY 9 (Toronto, ON) *subject to change*

– JULY 14 (Halifax, N.S.)

– JULY 15 (Ottawa, ON)

– JULY 23 (Edmonton, AB)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It sounds as if they are considering coming back for 2018, but a lot can change in 3 years, so I guess we'll have to wait and see about it. And keeping in competitive shape is a good thing!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
http://www.lfpress.com/2015/05/05/t...th-anniversary-tour-of-stars-on-ice-in-canada

“We’re probably the most annoying story in Canadian sports saying we don’t know what’s next,” Moir, the 27-year-old from Ilderton, said, “but we’re being honest. We have days we wake up and say, ‘Yeah, we need another (Olympic) shot’. There are other days we love doing these other parts of our lives. I don’t think we’ll ever lose that feeling of wanting to be at the Olympic Games and represent Canada. I’ll feel that way for the rest of my life.”

They understand, after taking a year away from the daily training grind, the target must be the 2016-17 skating season, at the latest. That would give them one full campaign of Grand Prix and world competition before the 2018 Olympics set for Pyeongchang, Korea.

“We have to be realistic,” Moir said. “We’re not coming back unless it’s to become Olympic champions again. If we’re in, we’re in. You’ll see in the next eight months or so getting into better shape than I was at the (last) Games so I’m ready to pounce if that’s an option.

“There’s no way it’ll be me being fat and out of shape holding us back.”
Fingers crossed for their return. :cheer: Maybe others will bring up the usual "arrogant Scott Moir" comments, but I like how Scott does not cover up his ambitious goals. :yes:

Regardless of results (which I think will be good, health permitting), I'm interested to see what they could do with a new coach/choreographer.

Alba

Record Breaker
Fingers crossed for their return. :cheer: Maybe others will bring up the usual "arrogant Scott Moir" comments, but I like how Scott does not cover up his ambitious goals. :yes:

Well, I don't see why anyone would call that arrogance. Although I would love them to come back and skate without a care for results, it's obvious that if they return they would do that for a second OGM and nothing less.

I think it would've been arrogance, and a lie, if he would've said "we feel like we have to give more to the sport" or "we just love to skate" and bla bla bla. ;)

p.s. A beauty. :love: http://i58.tinypic.com/1z4zbl3.jpg

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Why? They do have more to give to the sport, and they do love to skate. So that would not be a lie.
It would only be a lie if they claimed they weren't aiming for another gold medal.

Alba

Record Breaker
Why? They do have more to give to the sport, and they do love to skate. So that would not be a lie.
It would only be a lie if they claimed they weren't aiming for another gold medal.

I meant if he said that like the sport is in some urgent need, or anything like that. Yes, they do love the sport for sure but you don't have to compete for that. You can skate in shows, if it's just for the pure love of skating. Competition means something else. You want to win, when you are at their level.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't have anything against, "Oh, I just want to do my best," but I'm equally okay with, "We're going for the gold and nothing less." :rock:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I meant if he said that like the sport is in some urgent need, or anything like that. Yes, they do love the sport for sure but you don't have to compete for that. You can skate in shows, if it's just for the pure love of skating. Competition means something else. You want to win, when you are at their level.
They're artists as well as athletes. Athletes want to compete. I enjoy watching competitions much more than watching shows, the whole aura is different, it's exciting and the competition itself brings something to every performance, wether it's good or bad. So I would like to see them again in a competition!

Alba

Record Breaker
They're artists as well as athletes. Athletes want to compete. I enjoy watching competitions much more than watching shows, the whole aura is different, it's exciting and the competition itself brings something to every performance, wether it's good or bad. So I would like to see them again in a competition!

Oh me too. I don't like shows at all, and I would love to see them in competition again.

Celine

On the Ice
I would love to see them return, but I guess I have mixed feelings about conditioning it upon their coming back with such a primary intent of "winning"

To me, one of the items left incomplete by their already considerable legacy, and this is true of Davis and White as well, is the fact that by becoming champions at such a young age, that they did not take MORE RISKS from a creative standpoint, with their programs, their music choices, etc.

I feel that there is so much respect for them already as athletes, artists, performers. And maybe, the perpetually rule-driven/rule changing world of competitive ice dance is not the place to be "bold and risky" BUT ... to ME, such a rare opportunity, is there's.

I would want to see them come back, and BEND the borders of the rules. That would be fascinating to see.

Alba

Record Breaker
To me, one of the items left incomplete by their already considerable legacy, and this is true of Davis and White as well, is the fact that by becoming champions at such a young age, that they did not take MORE RISKS from a creative standpoint, with their programs, their music choices, etc.
I would want to see them come back, and BEND the borders of the rules. That would be fascinating to see.

I fully agree with you. That's what I wrote some time ago. I want them to be back and make bold programs without a care in the world whether the judges like it or not. After all, they have won all titles. A second OGM or World title isn't going to add much, IMO.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Their lifts looked great at Stars on Ice. The exhibitions seemed more focused on dancing/acting rather than skating, but I'm confident they can make a strong return if they come back. Tessa in particular was a standout. Definitely the best natural dancer in the cast, imo.

So, question to people who want them to try more fresh/bold program--what would be a good idea for their FD?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
A modern dance, bolder than Carmen! :rock:
Do you mean modern as in contemporary dance, or modern as in skating to current music?

They do skate to current music a lot in their exhibitions. Actually, I wouldn't mind something similar to their second exhibition at SoI--something with upbeat dance music. Though with more skating and less dancing compared to the exhibition. :laugh: