Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

Bahar

Rinkside
Will they continue skating ? I have been searching it for days and i couldn't find anything

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Will they continue skating ? I have been searching it for days and i couldn't find anything

Tessa and Scott recently reiterated that they are leaving the door open to the possibility of returning to competition before the 2018 Olympics.

Bahar

Rinkside
Tessa and Scott recently reiterated that they are leaving the door open to the possibility of returning to competition before the 2018 Olympics.

Thank you very much. I wish they would return to competitions. They are incredibly perfect. I will miss them this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Alba

Record Breaker
Do you mean modern as in contemporary dance, or modern as in skating to current music?

They do skate to current music a lot in their exhibitions. Actually, I wouldn't mind something similar to their second exhibition at SoI--something with upbeat dance music. Though with more skating and less dancing compared to the exhibition. :laugh:

Modern as in contemporary dance. :yes: Current music sucks. :p :biggrin:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
So, question to people who want them to try more fresh/bold program--what would be a good idea for their FD?

I would go crazy if they use "Undone" by DeVotchka or some RHODES tune ("Close your eyes" or "Run") as their FD...

A fan can dream :)

I would be a very happy person if they would be back in competition regardless of their program choices TBH

bramweld

Record Breaker
Tessa & Scott's Journey. 2018 Olympics?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QUq61LrDMw

Very important video for all ice dancers. The part where they talk about the pitfalls of working too hard is particularly instructive; around the 8:00 minute mark. Ice dance takes time, there are no shortcuts. I really admire them for being so vulnerable and honest.

Are they're coming back? Don't know, but I think they would LOVE to. Scott is itching to compete with P/C. Wouldn't we be absolutely thrilled. BUT if they do, oh please, let them not train with Marina, NO!!! But which team would be the ideal coaches for these two? Why not Platov? They've taken everyone from him. What do you think, Alba?

PS. 18 YEARS and counting, wow!!

Last edited:

sses1

On the Ice
I dobut they'd go back to Marina after everything they said about her and frankly they would be wise not too since she her team is struggling with their levels. Platov made comments on Tessa's weight so I'm not sure they'd want to go their either. They probably wouldn't go to DSC either. Maybe Montreal to train with their competition? But I somehow doubt that too. I wonder where they would go if they decide to come back.

Alba

Record Breaker
Very important video for all ice dancers. The part where they talk about the pitfalls of working too hard is particularly instructive; around the 8:00 minute mark. Ice dance takes time, there are no shortcuts. I really admire them for being so vulnerable and honest.

Are they're coming back? Don't know, but I think they would LOVE to. Scott is itching to compete with P/C. Wouldn't we be absolutely thrilled. BUT if they do, oh please, let them not train with Marina, NO!!! But which team would be the ideal coaches for these two? Why not Platov? They've taken everyone from him. What do you think, Alba?

PS. 18 YEARS and counting, wow!!

I would choose Platov. Absolutely no doubt about that.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I dobut they'd go back to Marina after everything they said about her and frankly they would be wise not too since she her team is struggling with their levels. Platov made comments on Tessa's weight so I'm not sure they'd want to go their either. They probably wouldn't go to DSC either. Maybe Montreal to train with their competition? But I somehow doubt that too. I wonder where they would go if they decide to come back.

D/L was my second guess. I think together with Romaine's influence they would have quite intriguing programs. Ice dance could only benefit and us of course.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
D/L was my second guess. I think together with Romaine's influence they would have quite intriguing programs. Ice dance could only benefit and us of course.

They're very close with D/L (I believe they mentored V/M in their earlier years and did some choreography for them [...? Did I make that last thing up?]).

I don't think they'd make the same "mistake" of sharing coaches with chief rivals again, so I don't know.

Alba

Record Breaker

I'm strongly against D&L for these two. With all due respect D&L are too much into the "romantic" thing. I think V&M have already done that and quite a lot actually. I think Platov as a coach is perfect because he works on the technical side, only, and he's is very good and V&M have all the liberty to choreograph the programs with anybody they want. Not to mention the fact that Platov can be fully available for them.

Last edited:

ntk87

On the Ice
Yesterday I watched videos of their programs... Again:hopelessness:
With this couple I have the feeling that they still could give a lot of things to ice dance... They started so young that they are still very young and strong to improve and make great things

About the coach, I think it´s obvious they couldn´t back with Marina, I like the innovation of D/L in the programs they prepare, but it´s true that they are too romantic, so I think the best choice would be somebody who let them free to move into new levels

slider11

Medalist
Tessa and Scott's legacy is amazing. I'm not sure, though, with Tessa's leg condition, their age and the continued standards that new teams are creating, if 2018 is realistic for them. I know Tessa says that she has found ways to train around the leg condition but it is still a reality that, coupled with their age, can limit the type of physicality needed to achieve a podium finish. I wish them success in finding their next chapter; something that will make them inspired and fulfilled in a new arena. It's hard to say goodbye to a golden past but there are more opportunities ahead.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Tessa and Scott's legacy is amazing. I'm not sure, though, with Tessa's leg condition, their age and the continued standards that new teams are creating, if 2018 is realistic for them. I know Tessa says that she has found ways to train around the leg condition but it is still a reality that, coupled with their age, can limit the type of physicality needed to achieve a podium finish.
As for age, when Pechalat/Bourzat competed at the last Olympics they were even older than Tessa and Scott will be in 2018 (Pechalat was 30, Bourzat was 33). Cappellini/Lanotte intend to compete in 2018 Olympics, and they will also be older than Tessa and Scott (they are now 28 and 30). It didn't look like Pechalat/Bourzat had problems with their physical preparation, and Cappellini/Lanotte only had problems at the beginning of the last season because of a specific injury Lanotte had. Of course, they didn't/don't have such problems as Tessa, but they haven't been injury free.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
I would agree that age alone would/should not hold them back. It just seems that for some athletes taking the next step in life is so daunting that there is this urge to just keep doing what they've been doing for so long. There have been so many - Michelle Kwan at Torino , Sasha Cohen, Johnny Weir, Evan Lysacek and Evgeni Pushenko. Change is hard. I prefer to think of these athletes in their prime with magical performances, not as "aging" athletes trying to show they still belong. It will be interesting to see if Tessa and Scott come back and I wish them well.

Alba

Record Breaker
I would agree that age alone would/should not hold them back. It just seems that for some athletes taking the next step in life is so daunting that there is this urge to just keep doing what they've been doing for so long. There have been so many - Michelle Kwan at Torino , Sasha Cohen, Johnny Weir, Evan Lysacek and Evgeni Pushenko. Change is hard. I prefer to think of these athletes in their prime with magical performances, not as "aging" athletes trying to show they still belong. It will be interesting to see if Tessa and Scott come back and I wish them well.

Yeah, you can see this with football (soccer) players a lot actually. Few among the greatest have left at the "right" moment. Must be pretty hard, especially when you're still young as a person.