Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir | Page 46 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Rewatched the movie Moulin Rouge just now and damn -- I have an even greater appreciation of what remarkable performers Scott and Tessa are. They really managed to embody the essence of the two characters to the point where during parts of the movie if you squint, you can easily substitute Kidman and McGregor with Tessa and Scott. Certain facial expressions and body movements were eerily spot on (it helps that Tessa has a passing resemblance to Kidman, and they gave Scott McGregor's haircut :laugh:). What's crazier is that there were moments where I went: "huh. Tessa and Scott did that better."

Kudos to the two of them for picking this program, sticking to their guns, and trusting their own instincts.

The rewatch also reminded me that although I really liked the original downbeat ending to the program, the new upbeat ending actually matched the movie much better. Satine's death wasn't quiet, it was instead at the moment of triumph while an audience is on their feet applauding.

I think that what drawn so many people with that program, way they performed it was this genuine, authentic affection visible/radiating from them, their stance, expression about the idea/music, choreography alone, not even getting into how affectionate they are to each other while performing. They lived up the story told by movie, but made it accommodating their own personalities, feelings they have for each other and towards performing, skating together - they used things that got criticized at the beginning, after they announced their choice to transform the program, perception of it into something striking, head-turning, individual, show-stopping: physicality, dramatism, boldness, chemistry, vividness. And it was very important in my opinion that they accentuated 'Moulin Rouge' choice being their own idea - it may have caused doubts/critique at the beginning, but somehow it allowed them to shape that program, the visual into something more customized emotionally to their own level of engagement/affection; all changes, alterations made throughout the season, cumulating at Nationals/Olympics showed to me the sheer value of their belief, confidence vested in that decision, idea, being in it together equally strongly, consummated; they were committed to stay in their lane and push it deeper, listening to feedback and gauge reactions at the same time.

They articulated from the very beginning that they have confidence in their material and that they visualized it performed that way they did it at Olympics - it was a journey which conclusion/finale really caught up so many people; it was for me a combination of that quality in execution, confidence/sureness in carriage, ease/closeness of partnering, impact created by mixing used material/music chosen with their approach to it.

And yeah about ending change introduced during the season - it had cinematic, grandiose quality to it, giving out same level of intensity as 'Tango el Roxanne' by 'Come What May'/lyrical part of the soundtrack and gave more strength to their feeling/bond, even leaving 'death' pose.

Diok

Rinkside
Thank you so much! Would you have the SD too? Love seeing other perspectives on their incredible olympic performances!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Thank you so much! Would you have the SD too? Love seeing other perspectives on their incredible olympic performances!

Seeing your post kind of made me think about fancams of SD at team event and SD at individual's one I saw when they weren't yet blocked - and while during TE SD I noticed more playfulness, exuberance, searching for that connection by throwing a bit more of improvisation in their movement at places, individual event SD was so incredibly tight and sharp in best meaning of those words possible. They tuned the oomph factor just on point for everything, presenting there insane level of control and balanced between execution and presentation; for me, no-touching step sequence was probably the best example and I was super glad they managed to find that optimal fit to accommodate precision into hypnotic abandon. What also got my attention watching those fancams was how balanced, flowy and 'tasty' was transition between samba and rhumba parts of the dance - one could appreciate and admire both styles and their qualities expressed by Tessa and Scott seeing contrasting speed, detail orientation, character of movement and partnering applied. Closeness, sensuality of partial step sequence was a perfect compliment to dynamism and punctuation placed as headlines of non-touching one for me.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

I wish! I found that FD link on another message board and reposted on GS.

Seeing your post kind of made me think about fancams of SD at team event and SD at individual's one I saw when they weren't yet blocked - and while during TE SD I noticed more playfulness, exuberance, searching for that connection by throwing a bit more of improvisation in their movement at places, individual event SD was so incredibly tight and sharp in best meaning of those words possible.

I also love fancams and the unique perspective it gives. It's wonderful how much skill Tessa and Scott can demonstrate to a viewer in less than 3 minutes. I was able to find this fancam of their SD, which is not blocked (yet). Unfortunately, some of the steps are cut off with the close-up shots.

Diok

Rinkside
We gotta find the bbc SD video!❤️
Thanks again for the FD

I’ve re-watched it countless times. The ice dance event was so dramatic this year!

ChanClan

On the Ice
So I know Tessa and Scott are doing Stars on Ice in Canada but does anyone know any other shows they've been invited? I'm just excited to see what programs they do. If they modify MR or go with a completely new program. As much as I would love a completely new program, I'm kind of hoping they do a modified version of MR because I just love it so much <3 :p

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I know Tessa and Scott are doing Stars on Ice in Canada but does anyone know any other shows they've been invited? I'm just excited to see what programs they do. If they modify MR or go with a completely new program. As much as I would love a completely new program, I'm kind of hoping they do a modified version of MR because I just love it so much <3 :p

They're doing SOI in Japan in Early April before they head to the CSOI tour. They were/are getting new show choreo recently. ;)

Diok

Rinkside
oooooooh yes! thank you enjoyed that! God they were good lol

Love the fact that the BBC commentators are team Tessa and Scott!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Olympic FD from individual event with Portuguese commentary (not fully sure about language, pls correct me if I am wrong!), also there is not the best sound, but better than nothing
https://youtu.be/K39PNhKboHw

shmy

Rinkside
Are there any links with the B.ESP commentators? I would love to hear their comments. I scanned the thread and I didn't see it (but it's very late huhu)

Diok

Rinkside
great thank you so much! so refreshing to see international commentators calling it like it is. These 2 r Legends!