Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A few shots of Virtue/Moir's triumph in Vancouver :) are included in this new retrospective video:

17 Days in 7 Minutes
NBC Olympics
Published on Dec 4, 2013
They took place over two and a half weeks and the athletes spent years getting ready for them, but here are the Vancouver Winter Olympics in just seven minutes.
http://youtu.be/RI0_m5qGobk?t=4m4s

V/M are seen for just a few seconds beginning at approx. 4:04.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Instagram photo including Scott Moir from @angelawangster:
Airplane selfies with @dyland1984 and Scott! 😝 #sleepyhead
http://instagram.com/p/htrf-5Qc4f/

Guessing that they are on a trans-Pacific flight returning from GPF/JGPF.
Disclaimer: only one sleepyhead is in the photo. ;)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
For easy access, here is V&M's FD from 2014 Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCr2-fazxqU

Other than the mistake on the twizzles, this was, for me, the most enjoyable performance of this FD so far. It's really coming together. Gorgeous! This is also my favorite costume for this FD. I hope they stick with it for the Olympics. Should be a great showdown with D&W. Can't wait!!! :popcorn:

ETA: Here is their SD from Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjOvPiYgho

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I particularly like this section because it combats the prevailing notions that D/W have surpassed them in footwork, lifts, and most importantly, speed. When you look closely, you see the power, control and quality of their skating, which IMO, makes them worthy of a 2nd OGM.

Speed? It’s supposed to come from rhythmic knee action, since the rules specifically discourage excessive amounts of toe steps. This is no problem for Virtue and Moir, because, Shaw says, they are the most powerful skaters in the world. Speed is just the velocity across the ice, no matter how you get there. It is not the same as power. Some are fooled by speed, but how is it generated? Virtue and Moir have a hidden power, that comes from deep knee bends, and it allows them to float across the ice. Their stroking is so smooth and well-matched, that it appears effortless.

What’s more, Virtue and Moir can vary their speed and change direction seamlessly – important in the transitions category of the program component mark and also the choreography category to some extent. They can slow to a stop, and then regain top speed in three or four strokes. The variation of speed allows for the shades and light of interpretation. They change dance holds frequently, easily, eschewing the same-direction skating that is so much easier. “Their movement from one hold to another is just like little rose petals unfolding,” Shaw said. “It’s superb. They skate in close relation all the time. But you are never aware that they are changing hold. They sort of fold into each other – and I think that is superior to anybody.”

Footwork? Virtue and Moir have challenging footwork with big curves. The size of the curve that a skater’s edge creates is important, and never more so than in footwork sequences. Virtue and Moir trace huge arcs with their edges both into and out of their turns. They have dainty, precise feet.

Lifts? From a young age, when Virtue and Moir began to learn more difficult lifts, Virtue was taught to feel like she was doing the lift herself, rather than the male partner forcing the woman somewhere and the women reacts. “She moves herself from one position to another and she doesn’t wait for Scott to move her,” says Marijane Stong, known for her knowledge of dance, music, and costuming. “That was when she was quite young and she has maintained that. Ballet dancers don’t wait for the man to put them somewhere.”

In other words, Virtue has an ability to manage her own body in the lifts. Rather than Moir supporting Virtue, there are fewer points of contact between them during a lift, and Virtue extends her own free leg, without help from the partner. The positions in their lifts require a lot of strength in Virtue’s core and hips and back. Their style of stroking also is taxing on the legs, knees and thighs. This team is physically strong.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Best wishes to Tessa and Scott in the Sochi FD tomorrow!!! Whatever the final outcome is, I hope they can be satisfied with how they skate. If they and D&W both have a magical moment, we’ll get double the pleasure! :biggrin::popcorn:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Congratulations for the silver medal!
It was that kind of performance I won't forget. They lived both dances so intensively, their facial expressions were incredible. The way they skate is unique and so are the beautiful stories they wrote on ice these years. The short program was lively, passionate and so impressive because of their emotional commitment. It really looked like this was their last dance (hopefully they go to the WC) and they wanted it to be perfect and, most of all, to enjoy it. Scott's reaction after the SP almost brought tears in my eyes. And, not to forget, after many years, I still feel like pointing out everytime how beautiful Tessa is. I don't want this to be their last season in competitions. 24/26, not so old, but I still see them as the teenagers with gorgeous costumes who skated on Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
I'm not disappointed that they didn't win the OGM again. They were amazing.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Congratulations for the silver medal!
It was that kind of performance I won't forget. They lived both dances so intensively, their facial expressions were incredible. The way they skate is unique and so are the beautiful stories they wrote on ice these years. The short program was lively, passionate and so impressive because of their emotional commitment. It really looked like this was their last dance (hopefully they go to the WC) and they wanted it to be perfect and, most of all, to enjoy it. Scott's reaction after the SP almost brought tears in my eyes. And, not to forget, after many years, I still feel like pointing out everytime how beautiful Tessa is. I don't want this to be their last season in competitions. 24/26, not so old, but I still see them as the teenagers with gorgeous costumes who skated on Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
I'm not disappointed that they didn't win the OGM again. They were amazing.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!! Their SD and FD were absolutely MESMERIZING and BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm so glad they finally were able to perform both programs as they were meant to be done. No technical problems, just sublime, flowing skating! I'm speechless. Just like in Vancouver, the performances of the silver medalist were just as satisfying as those of the gold medalist. What a lovely two nights of ice dance it was! :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Heart-melting moments of Scott Moir continuing his personal Olympic traditions:

~ Moir kissing the Olympic rings in the empty Sochi rink yesterday (post-FD) -- as he had done in Vancouver.

~ Moir leaping into the arms of his brothers in Sochi -- as he had done in Vancouver.

Thanks to everyone for their posts in this thread. :)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Congrats Tessa and Scott! A FD has never made me cry before.

I've been a fan for years and posted my thoughts on my blog: http://princessbeanysmiles.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/thank-you-tessa-and-scott/. Please check it out if interested.

I came across your blog when I was searching for something about Yuzuru and I enjoyed very much your posts about him. Now that I read what you have written about Tessa and Scott I have the same feeling.
Yesterday I watched again some of my favorite programs, the ones from Vancouver, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Jack and Diane...and some beautiful fan made videos. I got really emotional. There's something Tessa and Scott bring on ice, something so special that can't just be put into words. Like a commentator once said, "the magic of Virtue and Moir". They shared with us their magic. I'm happy I watched their performances these years. :clap:

edit: Scott kissing the Olympic rings is just lovely.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yesterday I watched again some of my favorite programs, the ones from Vancouver, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Jack and Diane...and some beautiful fan made videos. I got really emotional. There's something Tessa and Scott bring on ice, something so special that can't just be put into words. Like a commentator once said, "the magic of Virtue and Moir". They shared with us their magic. I'm happy I watched their performances these years. :clap:

edit: Scott kissing the Olympic rings is just lovely.

Oh, Silvia, your post is making me emotional too. Their magic is special indeed.

One more photo of Moir and the Olympic rings:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I also wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS TO CANADA on what I'm calling their "Silver Olympics" (Team, Chan, V&M). In the case of Chan, I REALLY wanted the color to be gold, but it was not to be. At least Scott Moir won't be jealous of him since they have the same color medal. :laugh::)

CANADA ROCKED THE HOUSE in Sochi!!! I know Ladies hasn't happened yet and I wish Gabby Daleman and Kaetlyn Osmond all the best, but since they are unlikely to medal, I'm congratulating Canada on their medal haul now.

Rhaenys

Spectator
Does anyone know why are they retiring? They are still very young, do they have problems with injuries?

Chris29

Spectator
Does anyone know why are they retiring? They are still very young, do they have problems with injuries?

They haven't confirmed it have they? They looked completely done in though in Moscow - they must be physically and emotionally exhausted. I hope they don't make a knee jerk decision. Although I could totally understand if they decided not to finish the season. What's the point in going to Worlds when there's no chance of winning?

mmcdermott

On the Ice
They were really vague in two videos I saw with them last week. I thought it was odd, because they've always been so firm about retiring after these Olymipcs. They just said that they would have to take some time to think about it. Tessa, especially, seemed to really enjoy the Olympic experience. In one interview she said "Let's do that again!".

They wouldn't be too old, really, it they decided to continue.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
i remember on CBC right after they performed their Olympic free dance and received their score, Kurt said he heard Scott say, "I'm ready for another four years."

Also when they were interviewed after nationals, Tessa said something about this being their last nationals, and Scott cut in and said, "Maybe."

I'm getting the impression he'd like to continue. Perhaps Tessa doesn't, though, or isn't sure. They can always take some time off and then see if they're satisfied or if they're hungry for more...

Chris29

Spectator
They were really vague in two videos I saw with them last week. I thought it was odd, because they've always been so firm about retiring after these Olymipcs. They just said that they would have to take some time to think about it. Tessa, especially, seemed to really enjoy the Olympic experience. In one interview she said "Let's do that again!".

They wouldn't be too old, really, it they decided to continue.

I think Tessa especially enjoyed it this time seeing as she was spending about six hours a day on the physio's table in Vancouver!