Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Cute video from Canadian Olympic Team:

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir's Secret to Success
    Published on Oct 26, 2013
    Olympic Ice Dance champions, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were Canada's favourite duo during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games. In their 30 Seconds to Greatness video, Moir narrows in on Virtue's secret to success.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2DM2Ld83eg (0:44 in length)

Same vid is embedded at link below, with a gallery of previously published photos:

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I love this new program! It's wonderful to see Scott and Tessa skating in their true form. I thought they handled last season's Carmen program well, but it was not really their style. I had tears in my eyes when they took their final bows. Love their music, choreography and costumes. It's a great program for them to end their competitive careers on - as they hinted.

Custom Title
    I love their FS but surprised/disappointed to see +3 awarded for an obviously flawed lift at the end. Meaningless (just about) from a points perspective but still. The GOE in general at this event seemed at tad inflated, not just for V/M

A nice little surprise this morning on NBC:
    Quite a few seconds of Virtue/Moir's Mahler FD in Vancouver were seen on the Today show.
    The airing was unintentional, I believe. Davis/White were making a live appearance shortly after 8:30 am, and as they were being introduced, the Vancouver b-roll of V/M was shown -- with none of D/W . Maybe the glitch will be fixed for the west coast version of Today.
    (I do not mean to sound disrespectful to Davis/White, who were their usual likable selves and performed some of their My Fair Lady SD. It is understandable that they show up on American television more often than V/M. BTW, hats off to NBC for airing V/M's FD at Skate Canada International on its Sunday broadcast.)

ETA, this tweet apparently has a link to the Today show video with the erroneous V/M footage (I have not clicked on the vid link to double-check):

ETA, yes, NBC's confusion over V/M and D/W is immortalized here:

ETA:
    This tweet also had made note of mentioned the original glitch.
    But at the link above, the erroneous footage of V/M has been replaced by still photos of D/W celebrating their silver in Vancouver and performing this season's programs. (Noticed this better-late-than-never revision as I rewatched the Today segment on Nov 16.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    A nice little surprise this morning on NBC:
    Quite a few seconds of Virtue/Moir's Mahler FD in Vancouver were seen on the Today show.
    The airing was unintentional, I believe. Davis/White were making a live appearance shortly after 8:30 am, and as they were being introduced, the Vancouver b-roll of V/M was shown -- with none of D/W . Maybe the glitch will be fixed for the west coast version of Today.
    (I do not mean to sound disrespectful to Davis/White, who were their usual likable selves and performed some of their My Fair Lady SD. It is understandable that they show up on American television more often than V/M. BTW, hats off to NBC for airing V/M's FD at Skate Canada International on its Sunday broadcast.)

ETA, this tweet apparently has a link to the Today show video with the erroneous V/M footage (I have not clicked on the vid link to double-check):
    That sucks for D/W, but that is hilarious. Wow.

Custom Title
    Golden, I'm also thrilled that NBC telecast V/M's free dance this weekend. And since they had no onscreen commentator hired for ice dancing, they pretty much had no commentary; they just showed the sublime skating.

Being greedy for ice dancing, especially this season, I'm happy for any chance to see either couple or both of them, in any combination. Their equals shall not come around again soon.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Really interesting interview with Tessa & Scott on their training methods this year:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...service=mobile
    Any tips on minimizing overuse injuries?

Tessa: Heading into the training cycle before the Vancouver games, Scott and I ramped up our training tenfold in a really short period of time, putting in 15-hour days of training. We thought more time meant we were training smarter and harder which would get us to the top. Instead, we burnt out. We’ve learned now to make effective use of our time on the ice, but also to get that recovery and let our bodies rest. There are always going to be peaks and valleys in training, but down time is important. We’re so much smarter now. It’s a message I want to share because I’ve lived through [the consequences of overuse] and it’s not fun.

Scott: There are 1,000 different ways to get to your goal. We had to rewrap our heads around thinking if we stayed at the rink longer, we’d improve, and that’s not always the case. Now we’re training about five hours a day, breaking it up between morning and evening sessions. That break means we’re much more focused and our bodies are ready to work harder because we’ve had the recovery time. Always adapting has helped us, and it’s fun to find new solutions to get the same results. We’re constantly playing with that and trying to figure out the best possible use of our time.
    They also emphasize the importance of training their glutes:
    What is your most important muscle group?

Scott: Glutes. It’s the area where I get all the power to throw Tessa and to skate faster. If I don’t activate that group then I’m going to be pulling on smaller muscles to take the load. That’s when you run into injury problems, and obviously it’s not efficient.

Tessa: Glutes for sure. And building them up has been something I’ve worked very hard on the last few years. I’m not sure how I was a skater for over 10 years before and didn’t use my glutes. I relied on so many other muscles instead, especially my calves, so my body had an odd pattern. I ended up needing a couple of surgeries [in 2008 and 2010 for chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS) in the shins and calves]. I overused them so I’ve worked hard to improve hip activation and core strength.

New video interview with Virtue/Moir from Skate Canada:

Minute With: Virtue & Moir
    SkateCanada PatinageCanada
    Published on Nov 14, 2013
    Skate Canada host Terra Findlay spends a few minutes talking about life off the ice with reigning Olympic ice dance champions Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXKn9eyMR_Q (2:16 in length)

ETA, photos of Virtue/Moir backstage at TEB:

A few shots of Virtue/Moir's triumph in Vancouver are included in this new retrospective video:

17 Days in 7 Minutes
    NBC Olympics
    Published on Dec 4, 2013
    They took place over two and a half weeks and the athletes spent years getting ready for them, but here are the Vancouver Winter Olympics in just seven minutes.
    http://youtu.be/RI0_m5qGobk?t=4m4s

V/M are seen for just a few seconds beginning at approx. 4:04.

Instagram photo including Scott Moir from @angelawangster:
    Airplane selfies with @dyland1984 and Scott! 😝 #sleepyhead
    http://instagram.com/p/htrf-5Qc4f/

Guessing that they are on a trans-Pacific flight returning from GPF/JGPF.
    Disclaimer: only one sleepyhead is in the photo.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    For easy access, here is V&M's FD from 2014 Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCr2-fazxqU

Other than the mistake on the twizzles, this was, for me, the most enjoyable performance of this FD so far. It's really coming together. Gorgeous! This is also my favorite costume for this FD. I hope they stick with it for the Olympics. Should be a great showdown with D&W. Can't wait!!!

ETA: Here is their SD from Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjOvPiYgho

Custom Title
    Nice article on Virtue/Moir.........nails it for sure

http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

Custom Title
    I particularly like this section because it combats the prevailing notions that D/W have surpassed them in footwork, lifts, and most importantly, speed. When you look closely, you see the power, control and quality of their skating, which IMO, makes them worthy of a 2nd OGM.

Speed? It’s supposed to come from rhythmic knee action, since the rules specifically discourage excessive amounts of toe steps. This is no problem for Virtue and Moir, because, Shaw says, they are the most powerful skaters in the world. Speed is just the velocity across the ice, no matter how you get there. It is not the same as power. Some are fooled by speed, but how is it generated? Virtue and Moir have a hidden power, that comes from deep knee bends, and it allows them to float across the ice. Their stroking is so smooth and well-matched, that it appears effortless.

What’s more, Virtue and Moir can vary their speed and change direction seamlessly – important in the transitions category of the program component mark and also the choreography category to some extent. They can slow to a stop, and then regain top speed in three or four strokes. The variation of speed allows for the shades and light of interpretation. They change dance holds frequently, easily, eschewing the same-direction skating that is so much easier. “Their movement from one hold to another is just like little rose petals unfolding,” Shaw said. “It’s superb. They skate in close relation all the time. But you are never aware that they are changing hold. They sort of fold into each other – and I think that is superior to anybody.”

Footwork? Virtue and Moir have challenging footwork with big curves. The size of the curve that a skater’s edge creates is important, and never more so than in footwork sequences. Virtue and Moir trace huge arcs with their edges both into and out of their turns. They have dainty, precise feet.

Lifts? From a young age, when Virtue and Moir began to learn more difficult lifts, Virtue was taught to feel like she was doing the lift herself, rather than the male partner forcing the woman somewhere and the women reacts. “She moves herself from one position to another and she doesn’t wait for Scott to move her,” says Marijane Stong, known for her knowledge of dance, music, and costuming. “That was when she was quite young and she has maintained that. Ballet dancers don’t wait for the man to put them somewhere.”

In other words, Virtue has an ability to manage her own body in the lifts. Rather than Moir supporting Virtue, there are fewer points of contact between them during a lift, and Virtue extends her own free leg, without help from the partner. The positions in their lifts require a lot of strength in Virtue’s core and hips and back. Their style of stroking also is taxing on the legs, knees and thighs. This team is physically strong.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Best wishes to Tessa and Scott in the Sochi FD tomorrow!!! Whatever the final outcome is, I hope they can be satisfied with how they skate. If they and D&W both have a magical moment, we’ll get double the pleasure!

The cover photo of the ISU's Facebook page shows classic Tessa and Scott -- their end pose from their Mahler FD at Vancouver 2010, if I'm not mistaken.

The graphic seems to be borrowed from the Sochi2014.ru site.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast