Meryl Davis & Charlie White | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis & Charlie White

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link to the Colbert Report. Great on air interview. Meryl looks stunningly beautiful!

I have been seeing various videos of skaters at the Moscow Show. When was it held?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Immediately after Olympics-Meryl & Charlie did the closing ceremony & went straight to Moscow.

mintx

On the Ice
That was cute! I missed the show but I knew someone would post a clip. Charlie just could not stop laughing!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They said they would decide after they return to Detroit. I am wondering whether they have some negotiations going on, perhaps with DWTS, the result of which might impact their choice of whether to compete at Worlds or not.

They said they would decide after they return to Detroit. I am wondering whether they have some negotiations going on, perhaps with DWTS, the result of which might impact their choice of whether to compete at Worlds or not.

Ahh, gotcha! Fair enough! :) I'm just excited to see what all they do in the future!

mintx

On the Ice
They said once that they are not eligible for DWTS. Frankly, I don't think they should be on it as contestants but I'd love to see them do an exhibition. You can't say they haven't been studying dance for most of their lives. I'd also love to see them as guest judges on So You Think You Can Dance.

They said once that they are not eligible for DWTS. Frankly, I don't think they should be on it as contestants but I'd love to see them do an exhibition. You can't say they haven't been studying dance for most of their lives. I'd also love to see them as guest judges on So You Think You Can Dance.

I think an exhibition on either of those shows would be ideal. It would show them at their best without giving them an unfair advantage against other competitors (on DWTS, I mean). Would you imagine they would be shown skating at a rink somewhere? That would give a whole new group of fans an idea of how wonderful ice dance is. Or might Meryl and Charlie do a straight dance performance, ballroom, in shoes? That would at least give viewers an idea of the level of adeptness ice dancers have and might pique their curiosity to look into ice dance. Either way, they'd be great ambassadors for the sport.

I know there's already an entire thread on this is a different section, but I just had to say....

We get to see two of our favs on DWTS this season! :)

KKonas

Medalist
Good to see D&W on DWTS as it will give figure skating added TV exposure beyond the orbit of figure skating fan base which has suffered in recent years. Also a new Disson TV show in the works for fall.

From Wall Street Journal article 3/5/14
NEW DISSON SHOWS
Why isn’t figure skating as popular in the U.S. as it once was? One reason is it’s hard to find on TV.
Stephen Disson is hoping to change that. His Disson Skating LLC has a new agreement with ABC to air a set of two-hour figure-skating shows over several weekends next fall and winter. The shows, to be taped before audiences around the country, will be hosted by 1992 Olympic champion Kristi Yamaguchi and three-time U.S. national champion Michael Weiss, said Disson, the company’s president.
The shows are expected to feature Sochi Olympic gold-medalist ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White (who also have been named as contestants on “Dancing With the Stars”) as well as 1988 Olympic gold medalist Brian Boitano. There will be four two-hour shows, each of which will be aired twice, for a total of eight broadcasts.
Disson said the new agreement will double the TV coverage he is currently getting for figure-skating shows his company produces, which have aired on NBC. The new shows will run in weekend time slots when families want to watch and that “aren’t up against the NFL,” he said.
ABC said it will broadcast the shows in November 2014 and in January and February 2015. ABC and Disson declined to disclose financial terms of their agreement.
Disson’s hope is to raise the profile of a sport that has lost some of its popularity in recent years. “It will be good for the sport,” he said. “This will give it a lot more exposure.”
The shows also will feature a more artistic side to figure skating, as opposed to competitions. “You need to see it when people aren’t out there concentrating on points,” Disson said.

I'm very excited to hear your news, KKonas! I know that there are people who look down on the Disson shows, but I'm grateful that someone is doing what he can to keep skating on American broadcast TV. If anyone has any better ideas of how to do this, let him or her come forward and act, but at the moment, Disson is the one who has made this commitment.

Any opportunity to see skaters, and any show that give skaters the opportunity to perform for audiences, is a good thing. These shows will be nice to look forward to. And I'm also happy to see Meryl and Charlie on DWTS, where I think they will be a great advertisement for skating in general and Stars on Ice in particular. If the DWTS producers have any sense, they will allow Meryl and Charlie to do some sort of exhibition performance partnering each other, even if it's a "floor" dance rather than on ice.