Meryl Davis & Charlie White | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis & Charlie White

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great early News on D/W's preparations for Sochi: According to DWTS pro Derek Hough on his blog:

"This week, I also started working on a very special routine that's not for the show. I'm choreographing a number for our world champion ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White to perform at the Olympics next year. They graciously asked me to do it and how could I say no? It's truly an honor and they're amazing. They won silver in Vancouver, are five-time U.S. champions and two-time world champions. If you're not familiar with them, I highly recommend you check out some of their routines. They actually taught me a new move that I might have to do on the show. It's a trick and Kellie would be able to do it. Maybe you'll see it in a few weeks!"

I suppose we can guess that Derek is helping them with quickstep choreography for the SD.

deedee1

Record Breaker

AHhhhhh :love:

We all fans has been witnessing and fascinated by Meryl & Charlie mature both as skater and person over the years. What I love about them the most is their 'voicing' with their beautiful skates AND with their beautiful words, under any circumstances both on and off ice. Reminds me of the words I found somewhere in a book when I was younger and desperately studying English grammar of Relative Pronouns with 'what' & 'how' :laugh::

"People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said, but they will always remember 'how you made them feel'."

They are great champions in a true way! :yes:

ETA: To demarinis
Sorry I did not reply to you sooner. I did not want to refer to a couple of posts that were a bit displeasing or depressing to me. But the above was a part of my feelings back then. Well, who said or what were said do not matter much by now. I normally try to get over it whenever something displeasing or depressing happens. ;) As always, thanks a lot for your thoughtfulness! :)

BlackPack

Medalist
I'm afraid we're in for the 15th coming of Katia & Sergei programs; that's the music that is in Marina's head.

Well, I think Meryl and Charlie should be safe. Marina's obsession with G&G has only been sublimated to V&M; we don't see her making Meryl, Charlie, or the Shibs skate to Flamenco and Mahler. It's obvious which team she favors. :rolleye:

I truly hope Meryl and Charlie will find their Bolero, Olympic Swan Song, or whatever you call it. I hope it's original music that's never been used. No more Andrew Lloyd Weber and musicals that have been done to death before. I hope it's wonderful, unique music that will express their ability, power, and athleticism.

Please don't let Marina choose the music! :bang:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Eric Luna‏@EricLunaDance12h
Just finished coaching U.S. Ice dancing team Charlie White and Meryl Davis.Hoping they bring home the gold in the 2014 Olympics! GOOD LUCK!!

Eric Luna is, with his partner Georgia Ambarian, a four time World Caberet Champion. Here's their website.

http://www.ericandgeorgia.com/

So one of the big questions we get is why should I train with a couple know for their lift work and dancing in the Cabaret division of ballroom? Simple...what we know applies to all the styles of dance. Any time a woman is no longer on her own balance or own two feet, she is performing a "trick" and all tricks use the same basic principles. The height of the trick doesn't change the basic "math" of the movement. Whether you are a beginner, teacher or seasoned competitor there is a technique to tricks and lifts that is necessary for safe and visually appealing execution.

Also our division revolves around the ability to tell a story. Sometimes that story is deep and emotional, sometimes the story and characters created are just plain fun! We teach story telling from "the thought first" principle. Want to know how to do that and express your spirit more completely in the dancing? Then schedule a session with us.

We feel you will be very pleasantly surprised how we can help you layer your dancing and bring in the "extra edge". We would love the opportunity to help you grow into the dancer you know you can and want to be!

KKonas

Medalist
Icenetwork US Olympic Photo Shoot

Once again we see that the editors of Icenetwork.com apparently are ignorant of the fact that our 5 time ice dance champions are the only US skaters who have a realistic chance of winning an Olympic medal in Sochi as they are not included in their US Olympic photo shoot.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In the past quad, since Vancouver, D&W have been World champs twice and silver medallists twice. The only other world medallist from the USA in that time would be the Shibutanis (3rd) in 2011. There have been NO ladies, men or pairs in the last quad that won even a bronze.

And no pictures of dancers? Just crazy. The only time US dancers haven't had a world medallist since 2005 was the year Tanith & Ben finished fourth.

KKonas

Medalist
Hope the rumor about Scheherazade FD is true. It is a beautiful piece of music and hasn't been overused in ice dance. Only Blumberg & Schubert come to mind. Think it's great choice for D/W. The Vienna Philharmonic version is stunning. It's 42 minutes long on youtube, but since Charlie is good at initial music editing, I am sure he can carve out the best sections to tell the story in 4 minutes.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I seem to remember a Russian Jr team using it about 3 or 4 years ago, but no top 10 senior team has used it in years. And it's lovely music. Blumberg & Siebert were penalized by the Italian judge at Olympics, AFAIR, in 1984 because the judge felt Scheherazade didn't have a defined beat.

I wonder what version Meryl & Charlie will use to assure having the defined beat, or whether they will edit one in, if they use this music?

Here's Blumberg & Siebert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyfosI-IcYY

Found the Jr team:

Pushkash & Kiselev 2009 FD Jr Worlds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTzrmLtEk6g

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
I think it would be relatively easy to add a beat into the music. Blumberg & Siebert's music was one dimensional. (Don't know where the Schubert came from in my previous post. Must have had composers on the brain.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The more I'm thinking about this choice, the more I like it.

The collective memories of GSers indicates that it hasn't been used by a top tier dance team in 30 years, but it's familiar enough not to be a draw-dropping risk.

I watched B/S 1984 program, and I imagined what D/W might do now with the same music.

I really think this could be a very memorable choice.

I know this is still just a rumor, but I'm hoping it is true.

KKonas

Medalist
In one of my many interviews with D/W, Charlie said he loves telling a story in the FD, that's why I think Scheherazade is perfect for them. Plus it is recognizable music written by a Russian composer.

KKonas

Medalist
Derek Hough who has spent some time working with Davis & White on their programs this season has been nominated for 2 Emmys for choreography on DWTS.

Derek Hough who has spent some time working with Davis & White on their programs this season has been nominated for 2 Emmys for choreography on DWTS.

I love the idea of Derek Hough contributing to D/W's programs. He's one of the best choreographers on DWTS. I also love the idea of Scheherazade. It's one "war horse" piece of music that always sounds new and exciting to me. Since it has four movements, there might be enough segments that the choreographer can pick that will have a defined rhythm and also changes in rhythm. The second and third movements especially have a lot of rhythm.

KKonas

Medalist
According to USFS, Davis & White to compete at US Senior B Intnl Classic in SLC. in Sept.