Meryl Davis & Charlie White | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis & Charlie White

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's really baffling and makes me wonder if there is some polling information out there revealing that the American audience hates ice dance. Because it doesn't seem like a hard sell--here's the discipline that the North Americans are really good at, and that almost everyone trains for in Detroit.

I feel like it's based on past ratings of Ice Dance when the Russians were dominating the scene and people perceived Ice Dance judging as corrupt.

It's funny, my husband, who is not a big skating fan at all actually enjoys Ice Dance out of all the disciplines. People do like to watch dancing -- Dancing with the Stars is a big example of that. Also I have NO CLUE why people aren't playing up the DWTS connection with the top teams (well I guess it's because DWTS is on ABC and NBC prefers not to give it free advertising....but still!).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They have forgotten the time when everyone wanted to go to Torvill & Dean's ice show. Even in the US.

caitie

Medalist
What was shocking to me is that they didn't even mention D/W. They won and broke the world record with their FD score, but there was no recap/mention/results list that included them, not even a clip of them anywhere to be seen. If you're a casual American viewer you'd think there wasn't even a Pairs or Dance competition at NHK, much less that two American teams were on the podium in dance. I think the producers would find Americans like seeing Americans win, shockingly enough! Oh well.

I was also sad they cut Max out of the recap. They really surprised me by cutting Dai's long program at Skate America, too. I mean I know it wasn't a good outing for him, but he's such a popular skater!

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Don't even get me started on how ice dance is ignored here. Universal Sports didn't even include Meryl and Charlie in their NHK promos, promos that aired during the competition by the way. They're completely left out of the Olympic promos, and with all due respect to Gracie and Ashley, I am sick of seeing them in all the Olympic promos. I have never seen two skaters, who have never won anything of real significance, be hyped the way they are.

KKonas

Medalist
Don't even get me started on how ice dance is ignored here. Universal Sports didn't even include Meryl and Charlie in their NHK promos, promos that aired during the competition by the way. They're completely left out of the Olympic promos, and with all due respect to Gracie and Ashley, I am sick of seeing them in all the Olympic promos. I have never seen two skaters, who have never won anything of real significance, be hyped the way they are.

I think most of these network TV people only recall when American Ladies were "figure skating." But times change, unfortunately these (mostly men) haven't changed with the current judging system or the rise of ice dance in the US.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Meryl and Charlie get some love from Jason Brown in a recent interview: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013/11/interview-with-jason-brown.html

Thirdly, I look up to Meryl Davis and Charlie White. Not only have I grown up watching them skate, but I now have had the privilege of traveling with them, and competing on the same US team. Their skating quality is remarkable, making every single move look so effortless. They are both the nicest, most down to earth, welcoming people. They are true champions both on and off the ice, so extremely humble and respectful. I look up to them in so many ways and I feel so extremely honored to have met them and travel with them while they are still competing.

Jason's other favorite skaters are Scott Hamilton and Michelle Kwan. So nice that he gives love across the different disciplines!

Antiloquy

Rinkside
I think most of these network TV people only recall when American Ladies were "figure skating." But times change, unfortunately these (mostly men) haven't changed with the current judging system or the rise of ice dance in the US.
I think most US people only recall when American Ladies were "figure skating." Maybe not the older crowd, but these days all networks want to do is court the 18-35s and most of them can probably only name Michelle Kwan and Brian Boitano because of his stint on South Park. I sent a tweet to NBC and USFSA asking if they could do something about the total lack of coverage for the only discipline where US skaters are a lock for a medal come Sochi.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Breaking ;) news on the canine front:
This tweet and photo indicate that DJ is a cavachon (hybrid of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Bichon Frise).
@CharlieaWhite
@NBCOlympics show my dog DJ some love! #nationaldogshow #cavachon pic.twitter.com/Po1SzUkk18
10:23 AM - 28 Nov 13
https://twitter.com/CharlieaWhite/status/406126098972278784

In fact, NBC had just shown its love to another dog posing with a much younger White in this #throwback photo:
or

In case the links above don't work, it's #5 in a gallery of 27 photos here:

Also in the gallery, joined by their doggies, are the Shibutanis, a younger Max Aaron, and a younger Gracie Gold.

ETA: Rio, another member of the White family, is a blue Merle Australian Shepherd.

CassAgain

On the Ice
Congratulations to Meryl and Charlie on their fifth straight GPF win and sixth straight medal. They have won 15 straight gold medals in the Grand Prix series!

this post was brought to you by the word straight.

KKonas

Medalist
If Meryl & Charlie win in Boston, as expected, they will have won this title 6 times, which would become the record number of wins for an ice dance team at Nationals. Currently there are five dance teams who have won the US title 5 times, Belbin & Agosto, Blumberg & Seibert, Lang & Tchernyshev, Punsalan & Swallow, and Schwomeyer & Sladsky.

KKonas

Medalist
Forgot to say that Meryl & Charlie also currently have 5 US titles and join the above list.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Meryl and Charlie 5 time GPF winners! They are incredible artists and athletes!
One more competition at their Nationals before Sochi and Gold!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Olympic skating duo: ‘Our hearts go out’ to Evan Lysacek

Excerpt:

“It’s just disappointing as a competitor when you can’t achieve the things you want because of injury," Charlie White, who ice dances with Meryl Davis, told TODAY.com. “So we really feel for him, and our hearts go out. He really is so dedicated that it’s tough to see, but he’s a great guy and he’ll persevere really well.”

“As an athlete we all kind of understand the work that goes into what it is we’re able to put out onto the ice,” added Davis. “So anytime somebody’s not able to go after their dreams because of an injury holding them back, it’s definitely something that we all feel for that person.”

KKonas

Medalist
Just off teleconference with D&W. When asked about being their final competitive season, said they hadn't really thought about it. They are concentrating on preparing for Nationals and the OWG. No major changes to routines but want to make sure they hit all their technical levels.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just off teleconference with D&W. When asked about being their final competitive season, said they hadn't really thought about it. They are concentrating on preparing for Nationals and the OWG. No major changes to routines but want to make sure they hit all their technical levels.

KKonas, thanks for your reporting on all the teleconferences. :bow:

Sorry, but I am not sure how to interpret your second sentence. Which of the two meanings below is correct? (I think the answer is B, but do not feel 100% certain. Dunno if they chose the teleconference to make news??)

- (A) It is true that we will retire from competition at the end of this season, but we have not really thought about the reality that it is our final season.

OR​

- (B) We have not really thought about whether we will retire from competition at the end of this season.​