Meryl Davis & Charlie White | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis & Charlie White

I just went back and watched my favorite of their free dances, Die Fledermaus. Man, there's stuff in there that I never even noticed before, such as two long sequences where they each skate on one foot. I hope Scheherazade gives me the kind of thrill this program gave me. I'm so excited about this season!

KKonas

Medalist
I have to go watch it again. I will just close youtube before they get to the marks :slink:

Funny, but I do the same thing because I get frustrated all over again. To get marks 5 points below their last performance of the FD when their Worlds performance was so spectacular was so ridiculous, I would have sanctioned all the judges on that panel.

KKonas

Medalist
SLC is choreographer Derek Hough's hometown, so I hope he will be there for the International Classic when D/W present their programs. Since Hough was listed on D/W's bio page, I wonder if Hough did work on both the SD and FD. Would love to speak to him while I am there.

Ooh, what a possibility, KKonas! I hope you get your wish and see Derek there, and if you do talk to him, I hope you have the opportunity to share the results with us. Derek is generally my favorite choreographer on DWTS: he is so inventive. I hope that his skills translate to the ice, because that will be something to behold.

KKonas

Medalist
Ooh, what a possibility, KKonas! I hope you get your wish and see Derek there, and if you do talk to him, I hope you have the opportunity to share the results with us. Derek is generally my favorite choreographer on DWTS: he is so inventive. I hope that his skills translate to the ice, because that will be something to behold.

That would be great, I agree, to see some of his amazing choreography translated to the ice. As an aside I had to laugh at Marina Zoueva's quote in the Icenetwork recent V&M article where she said she was so happy to have the Finnstep as the Pattern Dance at the OWG when I sat in on the dance meeting where she constantly complained against it, saying it wasn't difficult enough.

lcd

Match Penalty
Derek's imprint on the Short Dance will definitely be what I am looking for when they perform. His choreography and music choices are distinctive and usually right on target. Surely if the short dance is unique, he deserves credit along with the "team"

KKonas

Medalist
Derek's imprint on the Short Dance will definitely be what I am looking for when they perform. His choreography and music choices are distinctive and usually right on target. Surely if the short dance is unique, he deserves credit along with the "team"

I don't think I was complaining about Hough being listed as choreographer. However, as a journalist I would like to know if he worked on both programs and specifically in what areas. Plus I am a huge Derek Hough fan.

KKonas

Medalist
It's true, Scheherazade for the FD. Great choice. Love the music. Also My Fair Lady for the SD. They do light, quick and bubbly very well. So glad that I will get to see these programs in SLC in two weeks.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm hoping that My Fair Lady will be as special as Giselle, but that would be a hard act to top.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't believe anyone posted Charlie & Meryl's appearance on the Today Show, just after last year's Skate America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjfc59G-oUI

Thx, Doris. :)
I do recall that at the time, some of us had posted comments (in the Edge, I think?) about D/W's skate on the Today show, and NBC made archived video available on its own site. :thumbsup:

But ... when the Shibutanis taped a performance for Today (which aired on Christmas morning, IIRC?), video never turned up on the NBC site or on YouTube -- at least to my knowledge. (I kept looking for a while because I missed the broadcast of the Shibs. The Shibs themselves tweeted some still photos related to their appearance, but no video link, AFAIK.)
Do you happen to know of any Today video link for the Shibs? Thanks.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Thx, Doris. :)
I do recall that at the time, some of us had posted comments (in the Edge, I think?) about D/W's skate on the Today show, and NBC made archived video available on its own site. :thumbsup:

But ... when the Shibutanis taped a performance for Today (which aired on Christmas morning, IIRC?), video never turned up on the NBC site or on YouTube -- at least to my knowledge. (I kept looking for a while because I missed the broadcast of the Shibs. The Shibs themselves tweeted some still photos related to their appearance, but no video link, AFAIK.)
Do you happen to know of any Today video link for the Shibs? Thanks.

That would be wonderful to see. They skated on Christmas morning. A perfect selection given their brother/sister charm for a family holiday

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OOO
I would love to see that myself.
I hadn't seen the Meryl/Charlie Today Show either, but it turned up in one of the random youtube picks they put up for me!
This one made me happy! I'll keep an eye out for the Shibs.

Jacqui White posted a link to this montage of Meryl & Charlie to "The Fighter"

It is a year old, but I haven't kept track of too many of the montages, so it also was new to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYzIKJE72sc

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hoping that My Fair Lady will be as special as Giselle, but that would be a hard act to top.

Agreed, but doesn't it sound like the absolute right vehicle for them?

I thought Giselle was more entertaining and compelling than their FD this past year. I've watched the WC Giselle over and over and over. Much more than any other ice dance, including any from them or V/M. More than even old videos of T/D. Giselle was perfection, the most amazing thing I've ever seen on ice.

I wonder if that will be repeated? Meaning that they'll be defined (for me) this season by the SD?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I've been a big fan of their OD's/SD's. Giselle was my favorite dance program this year, Bollywood of the Olympic year, and they had my favorite tango SD, particular the way the not touching sequence worked. I'm hoping My Fair Lady will work well for them, particularly I'm Getting Married In the Morning.

I don't believe anyone posted Charlie & Meryl's appearance on the Today Show, just after last year's Skate America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjfc59G-oUI

Oh, that's exquisite. How nice that the station gave them so much time; it seems to be at least two minutes, and the camera work showed them off to great advantage, not losing them across the ice, and doing a judicious close-up or two at the right moments.