Thread: Richard Dornbush

Rinkside

Richard Dornbush

I searched through all the threads looking for one, but couldn't find one, unless he was lumped in with the "Promising U.S. Skaters" thread. Anyway thought it was a good time to start a thread focusing mainly on him. I love his skates. I honestly first noticed him during 2012 Nationals as I hadn't had TV/cable for awhile and missed out on his performances. It's with a bit of sadness that I think he possibly skated the cleanest program at the 2011 Nationals. I am frustrated watching his beautiful programs marred by errors and inconsistency. I know he is juggling school and skating, so perhaps that's the reason, but I am not certain if possibly what he needs is a fresh perspective from a sports psychologist?
    I have no idea if a lot of the inconsistency and chronic history of errors comes from fear of failure during the actual programs themselves when he is skating them or thinking he isn't a great skater, because he's very good and I don't know if he really knows how great he is now or COULD POSSIBLY be with a bit more focus? The free skate at the 2011 Nationals had him looking pretty relaxed and effortlessly having fun. Uggghhh frustration rant over! I just want him to do so well so badly!
    Last edited by reneerose; 01-29-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Custom Title
    Go disco ricky dornbush

Quote Originally Posted by reneerose View Post
    I searched through all the threads looking for one, but couldn't find one, unless he was lumped in with the "Promising U.S. Skaters" thread. Anyway thought it was a good time to start a thread focusing mainly on him. I love his skates. I honestly first noticed him during 2012 Nationals as I hadn't had TV/cable for awhile and missed out on his performances. It's with a bit of sadness that I think he possibly skated the cleanest program at the 2011 Nationals. I am frustrated watching his beautiful programs marred by errors and inconsistency. I know he is juggling school and skating, so perhaps that's the reason, but I am not certain if possibly what he needs is a fresh perspective from a sports psychologist?
    I have no idea if a lot of the inconsistency and chronic history of errors comes from fear of failure during the actual programs themselves when he is skating them or thinking he isn't a great skater, because he's very good and I don't know if he really knows how great he is now or COULD POSSIBLY be with a bit more focus? The free skate at the 2011 Nationals had him looking pretty relaxed and effortlessly having fun. Uggghhh frustration rant over! I just want him to do so well so badly!
    I actually wonder if it is more a fear of success. It seems that when he is suddenly in a good position, he unravels. He also tends to have this overly nonchalant "im too cool to really care attitude" I kinda wonder if the idea of being national champion kinda scares him and he would rather avoid the attention.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchMonkey View Post
    I actually wonder if it is more a fear of success. It seems that when he is suddenly in a good position, he unravels. He also tends to have this overly nonchalant "im too cool to really care attitude" I kinda wonder if the idea of being national champion kinda scares him and he would rather avoid the attention.
    Actually, even better thought of its being a fear of success....good point! The nonchalant (a smokescreen?) attitude I've also noticed....of course we can't know what he's thinking or deciding about his skating career...he really doesn't place a very high priority either on being National champion or going to the Olympics....or if he does, he sabotages himself (either consciously or subconsciously). It's so frustrating to watch him skate because that last piece of the total package is missing!
    Last edited by reneerose; 01-29-2015 at 03:19 PM.

And he never seems that upset by it. That is why I wonder if there is a part of him that seems poor performances as almost a blessing in disguise.

I can easily imaging a skater liking the idea of getting silver better than gold for the other stuff that has to come with it. He may want to go to the Olympics, but only in second place.

I can never tell if his too cool for this attitude in interviews is him really just not into the whole interview thing, or using it as a defense mechanism for something he is not comfortable with.

The guy is so likeable and talented. . . maybe he likes keeping us scratching our heads, cuz I sure as heck can't figure him out.

Rinkside
    I was actually looking at the lyrics to the Coldplay song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncmL69ZEJ8 that was used for his recent season's free skate program and the lyrics seem sometimes to be sort of describing his career in a way LOL. I guess I'm overanalyzing as I've been rewatching his past programs and remembering the frustration I felt as a fan of his skating each time an error was made, when it always seemed the skate was going to go cleanly... It's probably not really about the medals for him anyway....oh well.... it's a pity because he's so wonderful to watch skate! 2011 seemed to hold so much promise! :(

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    He is more actively taking college courses now, so he may not have as much practice time as he needs.
    Here's his ice network bio
    http://www.icenetwork.com/skaters/pr...chard_dornbush

Attended Riverside Community College from 2010-13, where he was named to the President's List ... Is currently a student at the University of California in San Diego where he is pursuing a degree in physics with a specialization in computational physics ... Mother, Shelley, is a figure skating costume designer
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-01-2015 at 02:56 AM.

Rinkside
    He recently told icenetwork that
    This quarter is a bit easier, I'm only taking two physics classes and an accounting class.
    So I think he's really trying to make it work, to be a good student and a high-level athlete at once. Not sure how long he'll do it though, not sure if to make a team for the next Olympics is his goal. I'm following his career since juniors and yes, it's not happening for him the way I wanted but I still love watching him skate and hope he'll stick around for as long as possible.
    Also mad props for acceptable Coldplay arrangement in this season's LP

Rinkside
    Well I think he took the whole year off before 2014 Nationals for the Olympics right? I think his choreography and music choices are just sublime and fit his personal style. Sherlock was the best showcase program for him. And his Mom doing all of his costumes. He's a great artist! It's just that performance anxiety or whatever....I'll take what I can get though
    Last edited by reneerose; 02-07-2015 at 01:10 AM.