Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Sergei Voronov

Team Russian Silver Foxes gallavich's Avatar

Sergei Voronov

Sergei is one of Team Russia's "promising older skaters," along with Konstantin Menshov. He was a 2-time Russian National Champion in '08 and '09, and has been on the podium every year after that except for one. He is the current European silver medalist as well.

It hasn't been an easy path for him, between injuries and coaching changes, but he seems to have truly blossomed since he moved to Eteri Tutberidze's group. While he gets a lot of flack for being "just a technical skater," "unrefined," "not artistic," etc....I think he has come a very long way from a few years ago.

I've also noticed a lot of people predicting him to come in last place at the GPF. While I don't expect him to get gold or silver, I don't particuarly think his chances for a bronze are worse than anyone else's. I hope he surprises all the naysayers and just skates well...medal or no medal.
    Last edited by gallavich; 12-04-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Custom Title
    Sergei is one of Team Russia's "promising older skaters,"

I can't believe I'm saying this, but his programs are kinda growing on me this season. Rooting for him to have a good skate at GPF.

On the Ice
    I am Russian, and I never cared for Sergei Voronov before this season. I love his routines this year, and I love how he loves them. When a skater winks and giggls in the middle of his very difficult program, it means that he lives happily in it.

Sergei blooms in Eteri's group because both Eteri and her group are entirely different from all the others. In Russia figure skater are fully supported by the national federation. It pays for all their training and coaches, travelling, and provides them with "scholarships" to cover personal expenses.

That is why coaches feel free to do whatever they want to, and are very authoritarian to the point of outward rudeness. In most cases the skaters are skating muppets that are told what they are supposed to do, and are not supposed to have their own views and opinions. Eteri is very intelligent and democratic. In her group 15-year old Julia Lipnitskaya was allowed to choose her own music, and insist on it though Eteri and two choreographers were utterly unhappy. THe music was Schindler's List.

Sergei seems to have the first chance of choosing his own music and patterns. A junior girl Serafima Sachanovic mover to this group a year ago, and now is beating everybody. I am pretty sure that she'll win the junior Grand Prix nxt week.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    https://38.media.tumblr.com/7c80eddb...atvvo2_250.gif
    Lip: "Nice Sweater"
    Sergei:

I love the sense of freedom and happiness and overall content Sergei seems to carry with him. All the youngsters seem to have energized him and Eteri simply gets the most out of him. I wish him nothing but the best

Sergei = Inspirtation
    Last edited by Sam-Skwantch; 12-04-2014 at 01:45 PM.

I definitely think it must be inspiring for him to be around all that young talent every day. He seems like a very sweet and empathetic person, too. Did anyone watch the medal ceremony from NHK, where he put a hand on Daisuke's shoulder when he was crying? I thought it was a lovely gesture.

That's great of you, gallavich, to have started this thread!

I must say, I also used not to pay much attention to this skater before he moved to Eteri's group - but truly said, he seems to blossom now! I'm rooting for him in GPF, too. Go, Sergei!

Quote Originally Posted by MariaRafael View Post
    both Eteri and her group are entirely different from all the others
    You forget Mozer's group - it is just as creative and democratic. Though if you mean strictly single skaters, then yes.

Custom Title
    I have a soft spot for this skater. I think I really warmed to him this GP series. Wishing him all the best at the GPF!

On the Ice
    Yes, I was speaking bout singles only. And I'll never forget Moser's group because it created another wonder - Maxim Trankov. His reputation was terrible: moody, unreliable, undisciplined, scandal-maker. It turned out that his only fault was creativity. His natural intelligence demanded some application. That is what Nina Moser let him do: choose his own music, create his own programs, invent new position and elements. Currently he is making programs for the junior skaters in his group and actually coaching them. Everyody is happy.
    Last edited by MariaRafael; 12-05-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaRafael View Post
    Yes, I was speaking bout singles only. And I'll never forget Moser's group because it created another wonder - Maxim Trankov. His reputation was terrible: moody, unreliable, undisciplined, scandal-maker. It turned out that his only fault was creativity. His natural intelligence demanded some application. That is what Nina Moser let him do: choose his own music, create his own programs, invent new position and elements. Currently he is making programs for the junior skaters in his group and actually coaching them. Everyody is happy.
    Very well said!

Here's his FS at the Finlandia Trophy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqb8h7Mk2P8

Not his best technically, but in terms of the performance, I think this is my favorite so far this season. Probably he was able to sell it so well because of the atmosphere from the crowd, & it wasn't exactly a high-pressure event, with only 8 men competing. I love the ending with the Angry Bird, too.

Talking about Maxim Trankov - although he & Sergei are totally different personalities who went through different issues, I respect them a lot for toughing it out through bad situations until they found one that fit them. I think you have to be a very strong person to keep going and not give up after so many years in the sport, especially when you have yet to really achieve much internationally. Personally - I think I would have quit skating after the first blister!
    Last edited by gallavich; 12-05-2014 at 06:21 PM.

^^^ Thanks! I had read the one from this year, but not the old one. I love how describes Eteri. And the way he gushed about Elena, apropos of nothing...that interview really made me see him in a new way (admittedly, I knew very little about him before that). He has a great sense of humor and doesn't seem to have much of an ego at all - which might have been to his detriment at times.

Sergei's beautiful SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo_IWpuxb94

I almost want to cry at the unfairness of it all.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast