Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Meryl Davis & Charlie White

Custom Title
    Birthday? How delightful! Count me in on the greetings. Meryl, may this year be a banner one for you and Charlie.

Custom Title
    Happy 26th birthdat

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    There is a new video from their Scholastic Champions series. This one is on perseverance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Vm...KJ5kq8&index=1

Custom Title
    Very sweet. It's a great idea to have such cool people provide teaching moments like this.

I love the way they give the teacher's names afterward, and the style they're written in: not their first names but just Mrs. and the surname.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

Meryl Davis and Charlie White

A Day in the Life ... of Charlie White (his January 9 blog post - complete with some fun photos):

http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...-The-Life.aspx

(Did not see this posted elsewhere on GS yet.)

In case anyone else missed this short item last month with quotes from Charlie White:

olympic ice dancers talk body peace!
    December 19, 2012 at 10:05:00 AM
    by Ashley Insalaco
    http://www.seventeen.com/health/fitn...e?src=soc_twtr

Excerpt:
    " ... when we were teenagers, we were really short and going through an awkward phase."
    Instead of getting down on themselves for being short, though, they used it to their advantage and learned lifts that taller skaters couldn't do. "You don't have to fit that perfect mold in order to become a champion," White said.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    In case anyone else missed this short item last month with quotes from Charlie White:

olympic ice dancers talk body peace!
    December 19, 2012 at 10:05:00 AM
    by Ashley Insalaco
    http://www.seventeen.com/health/fitn...e?src=soc_twtr

Excerpt:
    " ... when we were teenagers, we were really short and going through an awkward phase."
    Instead of getting down on themselves for being short, though, they used it to their advantage and learned lifts that taller skaters couldn't do. "You don't have to fit that perfect mold in order to become a champion," White said.
    Love this! And given the amazing lifts we've been treated to over the years, I'm glad they embraced who they were too!

Custom Title
    Excellent! I love that they're in Seventeen, which gives them a wider audience. However, I'd have used their costumes from last year, with that stunning magenta dress of Meryl's. Those outfits are sleeker and more cool, while this dirndl will not get kids on board for D/W as role models.

Charlie White ‏@CharlieaWhite
    This is (probably) the only thing I'll ever say you have to read- http://www.classroomchampions.org/pe...Andrea-WigginsSo awesome!!
    8:18 AM - 15 Jan 13

White's tweet is noteworthy on at least two levels.
    At the Classroom Champions link that he provided is a teacher's grateful description of a "magical moment" during a D/W Skype session with her class. Davis changed the life of a fourth-grade boy by discussing her successful efforts to overcome dyslexia. (I agree with White that it is a must-read. )
    And White's pride in his partner is not surprising, but sweet all the same.

That article and the tweet are really wonderful, in every way.

Custom Title
    How wonderful that article is. Praises to the classroom teacher, the dyslexia teacher who has the Wall of Fame, the student, and Meryl and Charlie.

I know that a lot of sports figures insist (usually as they're holding a cigarette, exiting a rowdy nightclub, or getting a speeding ticket) that they're not role models and no one should expect it of them. Now, If I had the chance to use my position to make a good difference in someone's life, even it it were just to show how to exercise self-restraint, I'd sure give it a try. So I tend to admire athletes who do that. Hats off to Meryl for her attitude and her efforts!

It's not all about skating and Omaha and Nationals, LOL.
    Check out these irresistible photos from Davis to see the special off-ice friends with whom she had a doggone good time.

ETA, update:

And if I understand Davis' tweets today correctly, she is doing some preliminary research -- checking out the paws-ibilities as she looks forward to the right time for a new friend to join her permanently at home.

[BTW, the terrible puns are mine -- am not quoting Davis and don't want her to be blamed .]
    Last edited by golden411; 01-24-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Steve Mesler (the Olympian who founded Classroom Champions) interviewed Davis/White for the USOC website:

ETA, I now see that the interview was posted over two pages. I initially posted a link only to the second page. Have inserted the link to the first page below.
    And on the first page also is a 2:13 video of Skyped remarks from D/W.

Journey Of Champions: Mesler Meets Davis, White
    By Steve Mesler, 2010 Four-Man Bobsled Olympic Champion
    Jan 24, 2013, 1:30 PM ET

ETA:
    In the Skype video, White is as likeable as ever, and Davis is extra playful.
    When I watched the version of the Skype video that is embedded within the Team USA text, I was able to view the full 2:13.
    When I tried to watch the YouTube version of the video, it automatically cut off at 1:53 -- even though the length was marked initially as 2:13.
    With that caveat, if someone still prefers to watch the YT version, the link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0sR5hrwQ2XY
    Last edited by golden411; 01-24-2013 at 09:39 PM.

There's a really nice article by a choreographer about Meryl & Charlie's FD at U.S. Nationals. And the slideshow has 20 great photos, some of the SD, & some of the FD.

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-ci...als-free-dance

Custom Title
    Charlie and Colin Firth
    Just an anecdotal comment. I pop over to another skating webpage every once in a while just to see what its members are talking about. A recent thread of conversation in the Davis & White section concerned Charlie’s resemblance to British actor Colin Firth. Being a big fan of Firth myself and being a big fan of the original BBC production of Pride & Prejudice, I remarked on this resemblance of a young Colin Firth to Charlie after the 2011 Skate America SD performance where Charlie was costumed as a 19th century gentleman in his Puccini waltz SD. Clearly Charlie had no idea who Colin Firth was by the blank look he gave me. It appears that Charlie is not a big movie buff at least of this genre. Firth has since won an Academy Award for his performance in The King’s Speech, so perhaps Charlie will now recognize him, but Firth is now a much older version of the young, dashing Mr. Darcy, and Charlie has a much friendlier, open and sunny version of life than did the inscrutable Mr. Darcy.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast