Pairs and Dance Spins???? | Golden Skate

Pairs and Dance Spins????

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Okay what's the difference between a pairs spin and a dance spin. Other than one is done by pairs skaters and the other by dance teams. LOL enlighten me please.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think it's the difference in rotations and positions required. It's been awhile since I read Kristi's book/chapter on the subject LOL

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I don't know if this might help but here it goes-
There are two types of spins in pair skating;
"Solo Spins" that are done by both skaters side by side in unison, and "Pair Spins" that are done by the partners holding on to each other.

Now in dance you won't see any unison spins, but you do see the dance spins where the partners are holding each other and having to do a required amount of rotations. I am sure there are restrictions on what type of spins they can do so they don't look like a pair couple.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Yeah I knew that much. I just didn't know if there was a position requirement or illeglal positions (much like Tonichelle suggested) or if they were pretty much the same thing.

eliza88

On the Ice
Braveskate--I have been wondering about this also!

I tend to enjoy the dance spins but mostly cringe at the pairs spins. The dancers spin very fluidly and only a very top pairs team can make the pairs spin look good. The pairs usually have to have several changes of positions/edges to their spin--IMO this can look very clunky and slows down the spin. I often wish that they would remove this from the required elements but it may be the move that separates the best from the rest...

eliza88

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
dance vs. pair spin

BravesSkateFan said:
Yeah I knew that much. I just didn't know if there was a position requirement or illeglal positions (much like Tonichelle suggested) or if they were pretty much the same thing.

They really aren't that much different from one another, except for the following two things-

Pairs must rotate for at least 8 rotations; dancers are only allowed up to five

Dancers can do any position they want, just like pairs, but they must maintain a dance hold (ie- tango, waltz, foxtrot, open/closed kilian)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
BravesSkateFan:

Also in a spin done by an ice dance team they have to be in a dance position hold whereas a pair team can do spins side by side (like jumps) or holding one another in an arm position. Good question! spinning in ice dance is relatively new. Years ago, it was not allowed. There have been many changes in ice dance over the last few years. I think its really added to the choreography. The rules for ice dance have to contain certain "restrictions" otherwise it would start looking like pairs.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Don't know if I can explain this correctly but I think in one of the pairs spins they have to start separately and connect to start the spin. In other words, they skate towards each other and connect spinning.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm not sure what you are really answering that is sad.
I must have been looking at the wrong post about the sad. Just forget I said anything.

Last edited: