Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of Russia Ladies SP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I get the sense Kiira is someone who is probably more appreciated in person than on TV. She does seem to have nice ice coverage and very good skating skills. And the program is quite well-choregraphed.

I do enjoy this moment where she transitions with a counter (or rocker?) into that spin, it's a nice choreographic moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9ooSW2Q4c#t=03m06s
    I also think that spin is gorgeous. well centered, good positions, fast and unusual.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFigures View Post
    Are you serious?!? It is so obvious, not even watching it in slow-mo, that she underrotates most of her jumps. It becomes even more clear in slow-mo that her blade hits the ice before it should. If you can't see it, I suggest you buy yourself a pair of glasses.
    Totally incorrect. Look at the point on the ice she takes off from. From that point she always rotates this combo at least 2.25 times in the air, marking it as a completed triple. Remember - the toeloop, salchow, and loop naturally pre-rotate .5 of a turn on the takeoff and there is .25 leeway on the landing. Achieving 2.25 rotations IN THE AIR is what signifies these jumps as being rotated enough to not get a < call. The tech callers seem to be just choosing a random spot on the ice as the "1/4 turn mark", rather than actually paying attention to where a jump takes off from.

What's even more frustrating is that not only does Murakami always get the rotation, she also always gets good spring on that second 3Toe and lands cleanly. So, again, the way she has been getting scored on this combo ever since 2011 Worlds is total crap and nothing but uneducated calls by tech panels. ISU needs to teach their tech panels how to determine rotation (I've sat through ALL of the tech training seminars and it's NOT done properly) and the rules also need to clearly define the mechanics of jump rotation and exactly how it is going to be scored, so that competitors know what they need to be doing and can learn how to properly analyze their own jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katymay View Post
    Oh Please. First of all, although Korpi is getting older, her beauty IS special. It isn't that there are not other pretty skaters, of course there are, but Korpi is pretty much in a class by herself.
    What's getting older have to do with anything?
    I agree her beauty is a special kind of beauty. Someone posted a video of Valentina Marchei and one of the Helgesson sisters standing next to Kiira and they look so unfortunate. Of course, both girls are not ugly. However, standing next to Kiira who's radiating sun ray and oozing maple syrup, all of their ugliness suddenly magnified. Like someone beat them with an ugly stick or something. Like two dung beetles perching next to a butterfly.

What ISN'T special is her skating. I agree with almost everyone on that point. Nor are her skating skills special, like say, Caroline with her fantastic speed and power , or say other skaters with lightness and grace.
    Her SS is significantly better than the rest of the girls here. Not the level of Kostner, but again, no one is at the level of Kostner. That's why she didn't get 33 PCS for the SP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Chill...CZ's gonna light it up at nationals.
    it's just one comment. No need to chill.

Down With It
    Congrats to Gold and Zawadzki for amazing SPs!

Korpi I felt was overmarked, but that's nothing new, nor is it a surprise. I guess she is Kostner 2.0 in this regard.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Wow...back to the drawing board again for Zhang.
    I totally agree.

Down With It
    CZhang is a late-season bloomer and traditionally has been so.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I get the sense Kiira is someone who is probably more appreciated in person than on TV. She does seem to have nice ice coverage and very good skating skills. And the program is quite well-choregraphed.

I do enjoy this moment where she transitions with a counter (or rocker?) into that spin, it's a nice choreographic moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9ooSW2Q4c#t=03m06s
    I've seen her skate in person, and she's very pretty yet also rather boring to watch, she just doesn't interpret music well and perhaps she needs to get a little more daring in her choices. Actually looks pretty similar on screen as she does in person.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by pohatta View Post
    This Korpi beauty debate (and all the others) should die for good because it offends everyone: the judges, the other skaters (implying that they are not beautiful) and of course Kiira herself. It's all based on an assumption. None of us knows how the judges feel about her looks. Maybe they find her so hideously repulsive that they give her pity points. To me that makes just as much sense as the other bias theories.
    Who's calling it bias? Presentation is an actual part of the PCS, which--for the most part--is subjective. And who is implying that the other skaters are not beautiful? Kiira is touted as the epitome of high presentation because she's lovely, but just because she's used as the example doesn't mean that the others are being snubbed. For example, if I call on Einstein as an example of a mathematical genius, does that suggest that I think Newton and Pascal were stupid? I personally find all of the ladies beautiful (and that's not because I'm trying to be nice), but it's clear to me that some of them have a more unique beauty--Kiira, Gracie, and Elizaveta, for example.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    What's getting older have to do with anything?
    I agree her beauty is a special kind of beauty. Someone posted a video of Valentina Marchei and one of the Helgesson sisters standing next to Kiira and they look so unfortunate. Of course, both girls are not ugly. However, standing next to Kiira who's radiating sun ray and oozing maple syrup, all of their ugliness suddenly magnified. Like someone beat them with an ugly stick or something. Like two dung beetles perching next to a butterfly.
    Actually, I'd very much like to see Kiira and Gracie in a picture together. If they both make the podium, I will.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I've seen her skate in person, and she's very pretty yet also rather boring to watch, she just doesn't interpret music well and perhaps she needs to get a little more daring in her choices. Actually looks pretty similar on screen as she does in person.
    Hm....guess I was hoping for something live that we werent seeing on a fuzzy Internet feed. But alas...

Custom Title
    Gracie finally shows the power and grace we expected her and probably the Gold (tongue in cheek on purpose). Physical beauty should not be a factor, but probably is to a point. I have seen Kiira skate in person - nope she is the same as she is on tv. And she is a good skilled skater just not super good and you have to put it in context of easier jumps. Maybe the ISU should consider bonus marks for landing cleanly with no more than -1 GOE 5 of the 6 triples? I do like Murakami's skating. Adelina needs to pull it together and ditto for Leonova or she will be left in the dust. Too bad Osmond wasn't skatng in place of Zhang I would have loved to see her try for the GPF and to skate against Gracie to see if Osmond is for real. Right now I think Gracie has the momentum and the US and the world have high expectations for her compared to Osmond.

Custom Title
    One judge gave Caroline Zhang a 3.75 for transitions. Ouch! What is going on with her training? She's practically stepping into her elements. Even her spins are getting slower. Her pearl hasn't come back either. Maybe her back injury is taking its toll.

Custom Title
    Okay, I have watched all ladies SP on TV, not thru tiny PC screen, finally this afternoon.

Programs as whole, I really liked Marchei's, Murakami's and Korpi's.
    Sotnikova needs to skate with more confidence for that kind of music.

P.S. Still do not like Kanako's entries into jumps (wild swinging arms+free leg) and hard toe kick on her Flip, though. She needs to fix them if she wants to get onto the worlds podium, or she may end up like Yukari, I am afraid...

Custom Title
    Well done to both the American girls, great on the TES but I think some work is required on the PCS, I found both of them a bit bland and generic. Disappointed for Sotnikova, it was a great performance apart from the flip, she really presented the programme well. I hope she has a good free skate. Delighted to see Polina K skate (nearly) clean, I am a big fan of her style.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast