2012 Cup of Russia Ladies SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of Russia Ladies SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For what it's worth, Gracie got a new PB, beating her previous one (earned at JGP Estonia 60.18) by nearly two points.

LOL -- speaks to how high everyone's expectations are of her. She does a great program, gets a PB but everyone's more focused on how she'll do in the FS.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
For what it's worth, Gracie got a new PB, beating her previous one (earned at JGP Estonia 60.18) by nearly two points.

LOL -- speaks to how high everyone's expectations are of her. She does a great program, gets a PB but everyone's more focused on how she'll do in the FS.

She hasn't won anything yet. I just think people don't want to get their hopes up b/c we've seen it happen so many times. Someone puts out a kick@$$ SP only to fall apart in the FS...it takes a lot of nerve and competitive focus to put together two solid programs under pressure.

It'd be nice to have two American ladies capable of doing that...:)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She hasn't won anything yet. I just think people don't want to get their hopes up b/c we've seen it happen so many times. Someone puts out a kick@$$ SP only to fall apart in the FS...it takes a lot of nerve and competitive focus to put together two solid programs under pressure.

It'd be nice to have to American ladies capable of doing that...:)

I totally get that and no, I don't think she's a lock by any means. But I think it's okay to say, "Hey, that was a good program" and to acknowledge that she did well today and earned a personal best. The same goes for Agnes (who also got a PB today as well).

ForeverFish

Medalist
She's lost twice this year. Didn't she lose to Hannah Miller at some competition earlier in the summer? I can't recall...

Other than that one JGP and junior nationals, what has she won? She was 2nd at jr worlds, finished behind the top competitors at WTT...anyone know?

She lost to Miller at Skate Detroit with a FS full of flubs. I hope with everything in me that she manages a clean program...but I have a cautious confidence that she will get at least bronze. We haven't yet seen a case of the SP leader flubbing off the podium.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Gracie and Agnes are the two most explosive jumpers the US has had in a while. Once Gracie brushes up other areas of her skating, the two of them would make a deadly 1-2 punch. If you add Ashley to that mix, look out!

I'm happy for both of them. I didn't know they got PBs today...and in Russia against the national champ and world silver medalist. :)

kwanatic

Record Breaker
She lost to Miller at Skate Detroit with a FS full of flubs. I hope with everything in me that she manages a clean program...but I have a cautious confidence that she will get at least bronze. We haven't yet seen a case of the SP leader flubbing off the podium.

That's the good news. I'm not confident Gracie will pull out the win but she'd have to bomb terribly to knock herself off of the podium...either that or someone like Alena or Adelina would have to be perfect.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
After watching the first 3 videos linked by the Magnificent Mrs. P, I have to agree with those who say the order of SP finish should have been Gold-Zawadski-Korpi. While I've not yet warmed up to Agnes' skating and find the arm movements on the SP to be too frantic for my taste, she did more interpretation than Korpi on the PCS side.

My main problem with Korpi is her high marks given for Choreography (which is usually lackluster) and Performance. Over the years, she's become a rather one-note skater. She skates around looking very pretty while soft music plays in the background. Might as well turn the sound off, it always looks the same. I'm not seeing a skater with much musical interpretation ability there, and as long as Kiira's been at it, she should be able to do better. Lepisto by contrast, I always felt had good musical interpretation, good choreography, and a much better performance range.

Country
Russia
Polina Korobeynikova also got new PB, beating her previous one (earned at Euro) by more than two points. But her chance to medal looks very low.

FS will solve all.

pohatta

On the Ice
My main problem with Korpi is her high marks given for Choreography (which is usually lackluster) and Performance. Over the years, she's become a rather one-note skater. She skates around looking very pretty while soft music plays in the background. Might as well turn the sound off, it always looks the same. I'm not seeing a skater with much musical interpretation ability there, and as long as Kiira's been at it, she should be able to do better. Lepisto by contrast, I always felt had good musical interpretation, good choreography, and a much better performance range.

But Korpi still gets far less points than Lepistö. In Vancouver Lepistö scored 126+ with five triples. Even if Korpi skates a clean 7 triple LP tomorrow (a big if), she won't get 126.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Polina Korobeynikova also got new PB, beating her previous one (earned at Euro) by more than two points. But her chance to medal looks very low.

FS will solve all.

Indeed she did; speaks to the fact that she does not do well in the SP for some reason. She always ends up in the 40s...so I guess it's progress that she broke 50, eh?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
How are we "painting ourselves into a corner" by pointing out the obvious? Korpi is overmarked on PCS for the level of skating that she does, compared to other skaters at the same competitions who don't get the same freebie bonus. We HAVE bothered to find out why she keeps getting those marks, and it's definitely the beauty and blondness. In other words, not what's happening with the blades on the ice but instead at the far other end of the skater. Let me guess....you are an unbiased Finn.

Korpi isn't overmarked in PCS. Her SS is a league above the rest of the girls here. Her choreo and interpretation FOR HER MUSIC is much better. Remember she's doing her program to that music. Not Soul or Funk or Blue.

I have seen Agnes' live, even when she skated clean, she was slow. She is tall, so it appears to be slower. Her skating skill across the ice isn't so good. Her jumps were good. Her level here weren't good. She did herself in and scored lower than she should be able to. Agnes apparently haven't bothered to find out how to fix those problem. Doing gypsy music doesn't mean you are better at interpreting the music for gypsy.

Watch those two doing their step sequence and you can see the difference in skill.

Gracie is very exciting. Her jumps are nice. My main problem is she rushed her movement too much in the program. She's skating like a junior. Not very polished. I said it last year, and it's still true. She really needs someone like Moskvina to polish her up one hand placement at a time. I think with the right coach, she can be WC/OC. Her PCS should be even lower than Agnes'

let`s talk

Match Penalty
How are we "painting ourselves into a corner" by pointing out the obvious? Korpi is overmarked on PCS for the level of skating that she does, compared to other skaters at the same competitions who don't get the same freebie bonus. We HAVE bothered to find out why she keeps getting those marks, and it's definitely the beauty and blondness. In other words, not what's happening with the blades on the ice but instead at the far other end of the skater. Let me guess....you are an unbiased Finn.
:laugh: To be fair, this Miss Glamour on Ice stuff is indeed getting boring. Too predictable and too the same-old.

ForeverFish

Medalist
That's the good news. I'm not confident Gracie will pull out the win but she'd have to bomb terribly to knock herself off of the podium...either that or someone like Alena or Adelina would have to be perfect.

You never know -- Gracie could pull an Ashley and completely blow everyone away with a 127+ FS score.:)

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Having watched all of the programs...

Gracie: She definitely looked more relax and I think moving the 2A to the beginning really helped as well. I'm still not crazy over the program (too juniorish IMO) but she performed it much better.

Kiira: Overmarked,IMO. I get the SS mark b/c she is lovely there, but the rest of her skating is vanilla: nice but very plain. I don't get it but I guess the judges do...

Agnes: She should have had Kiira's score. Huge jumps, tons of speed, great spins, loads of energy...she was undermarked.

Alena: Too much dancing and flailing around for my tastes but still better than her Pirates SP.

Adelina: That 3T-3T was massive! If she'd hit that 3F she'd have scored 63+ *sigh*

Kanako: Lovely program and I love the new dress...but without the jumps she won't go that far.

Caroline: I want to be optimistic but she's just so far below everyone in terms of SS, TR.

The FS is going to be very interesting.

Last edited:

pohatta

On the Ice
:laugh: To be fair, this Miss Glamour on Ice stuff is indeed getting boring. Too predictable and too the same-old.

I agree, but in the current judging system there are no deductions for being predictable and same-old. Just like there's no beauty bonus.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Gold did really well! But the choreography imo is terrible. It's very apparent a tango music but the choreography has not tiny bit of tango feeling.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Aw Gracie wished her sister and Lexie Verhurst (a friend also in skating) good luck at sectionals (this weekend)!!