2012 Cup of Russia Ladies SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of Russia Ladies SP

ForeverFish

Medalist
YES!!!!! GO GRACIE!!!! She seemed a bit nervous at the beginning, but it was great to see that smile again. I daresay had she performed her 3-3 cleaner, she'd have an even wider margin on Korpi. The free skate is yet to come, but is it possible that TWO American ladies could be on the podium? Wishing all the best to Gracie and Agnes tomorrow, though Agnes is in somewhat of a precarious spot. Leonova or Sotnikova can still hope for a medal, though from what we've seen at the past three GPs, they won't rise any more than 2 spots.

Also, I'd consider Gracie one of the PCS beauty queens. She's gorgeous :love:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
The scores are very close! Only 5.38 points separates 1st from 6th so this competition is far from over.

Good to see Gracie appears to have gotten over her first time jitters :) The downside to doing so well is she's leading heading into the FS and we all know that's a tough place to be in. Hopefully she'll maintain her focus and skate well.

Kiira seems to be overscored given her content but her PCS made up the difference. She's Kiira so that's to be expected. The judges freakin love her...

Good job for Agnes too. Glad to see her hit all of her jumps! She's right in the medal hunt but her problem has always been the FS, not the SP...

Alena seems to have bounced back somewhat. She can be a fighter so if she comes out strong in the FS she has a chance to win this thing.

Adelina just can't get it together...it's so frustrating! Again, even with the miss on the jump she's still within gold medal range if delivers in the FS. She has another 3-3 plus a 2a-3t and with the rest of her skills plus home field scoring, a strong skate from her will probably land her on the podium.

Kanako...what's going on with those damn URs? She's gotta get that under control and fast...

This one is far from over and it's still anyone's game. Gracie is untested as a leader going into the FS...more than a fair share tend to fall apart under the pressure of leading and skating last so this is a huge test for her. Kiira isn't a strong FS skater...she's been pretty weak in the FS lately. Agnes is known for imploding in the FS a bit. Alena has been known to put together a good FS every now and then but she's still struggling a bit. Adelina can make up a lot of ground in her FS if she can hit on most of her jumps. I don't know what's going on with Kanako but if she can clean up a few of those URs the strength of her program should help her move up...

I have no idea who is going to win this one...

Irishflip

On the Ice
good luck to the FS I think
Gold for sure will medal, also Korpii maybe Leonova
Zawadzki and Murakami ( w/ her UR) depends if they don't crumble on their FS

non factors for a medal
Helgesson, Sotnikova, Zhang, Marchei and Polina K.

Because Adelina is going up against skaters known for skating clean long programs, such as Korpi and Zawadzki. She has a shot.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Because Adelina is going up against skaters known for skating clean long programs, such as Korpi and Zawadzki. She has a shot.

Zawadzki might crumble but Korpi even with poor jumps in her FS , she is a BEAUTY PCS and will still score high
Korpi is an almost sure lock for a podium with Gracie , remember Gracie at SC was a fluke for her other than that she never lost a competition other than SC

that leaves open 1 spot for a podium
Kanako not sure with her UR, and Adelina I am 100% sure will make mistakes in FS

kwanatic

Record Breaker
non factors for a medal
Helgesson, Sotnikova, Zhang, Marchei and Polina K.

A headcase? Yes. A non-factor? Never.

She has the content and the skills to match. It's highly unlikely Adelina will hit on everything but her program is stacked (3lz-3t, 2a-3t, level 4 spins, etc.) which means a halfway decent performance by her will get a good score and can move her onto the podium. It's even more likely that will happen especially seeing as how half of the skaters in the lead have a gigantic "?" next to how they will skate in the FS.

I'd say Adelina's chances for a medal are still very good at this point.

ForeverFish

Medalist
The scores are very close! Only 5.38 points separates 1st from 6th so this competition is far from over.

Good to see Gracie appears to have gotten over her first time jitters :) The downside to doing so well is she's leading heading into the FS and we all know that's a tough place to be in. Hopefully she'll maintain her focus and skate well.

Kiira seems to be overscored given her content but her PCS made up the difference. She's Kiira so that's to be expected. The judges freakin love her...

Good job for Agnes too. Glad to see her hit all of her jumps! She's right in the medal hunt but her problem has always been the FS, not the SP...

Alena seems to have bounced back somewhat. She can be a fighter so if she comes out strong in the FS she has a chance to win this thing.

Adelina just can't get it together...it's so frustrating! Again, even with the miss on the jump she's still within gold medal range if delivers in the FS. She has another 3-3 plus a 2a-3t and with the rest of her skills plus home field scoring, a strong skate from her will probably land her on the podium.

Kanako...what's going on with those damn URs? She's gotta get that under control and fast...

This one is far from over and it's still anyone's game. Gracie is untested as a leader going into the FS...more than a fair share tend to fall apart under the pressure of leading and skating last so this is a huge test for her. Kiira isn't a strong FS skater...she's been pretty weak in the FS lately. Agnes is known for imploding in the FS a bit. Alena has been known to put together a good FS every now and then but she's still struggling a bit. Adelina can make up a lot of ground in her FS if she can hit on most of her jumps. I don't know what's going on with Kanako but if she can clean up a few of those URs the strength of her program should help her move up...

I have no idea who is going to win this one...

Gracie and MAYBE Kiira have very strong shots at the podium. Remember at SC only about 6 points separated 1st and 9th, and the leaders after the short still held onto their spots. If I remember correctly (I can't fact check this at the moment) , only Suzuki was able to move onto the podium from behind. And she is exceptional.

Country
Russia
Seeing skating and scores, I believe - any of top five may pretend to medal and to 1st place. Lower five haven't chance to medal (or this chance is very low, maybe except Korobeynikova, who at Euro past season and at Cup of Nice this season skated FS much better than SP).

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I think if Leonova had done that double axel, she would be our leader today. Anyway she looks stronger than Skate America, and is not stressed for the GPF spot or etc. She can deliver a good LP and can earn even gold medal. Very good SP for Gracie Gold but I have a sense that she will be nervous tomorrow like she was at Skate Canada. I hope I'm wrong for that. Kiira will probably get bronze at the end if Sotnikova can not deliver a clean LP. Kanako, with lots of UR still managed to get bronze medal at Skate Canada and she is still a factor for the podium here. Really complicated and unpredictible situation. Even Korobeynikova can climb up if the others bomb. (very low possibility though)

pohatta

On the Ice
It's a shame that so many of you choose to paint yourselves into a corner with those old "Korpi beauty PCS" cracks. If you bothered to find out why she keeps getting those marks from a wide range of judges who certainly have different opinions on her beauty and its relevance, you might learn something.

Country
Russia
Gracie and MAYBE Kiira have very strong shots at the podium.
As I remember, at summer competitions Gracie sometimes skated SP good and FS not so good. So no warranty.

Kiira has "right to make mistake", in China she made three jumps of 1 turn (two of them - at the place of triples) in FS, and became third at final result, being fourth after SP.

All others (who pretend on medal) have no right to make serious mistake.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ah I'm not going to be too analytical...

Lots of fun tweets from Gracie & Co.:

Timothy Dolensky ‏@TimDolensky (2012 national silver medalist in juniors):
BAM! You go @GraceEGold!!!

Go @agneszawadzki!!! *cha ching*

Douglas Razzano ‏@DouglasRazzano (Who is currently first at Ice Challenge in Graz):
@agneszawadzki @GraceEGold Nailed it ;) #COR2012

And one from Gold (@GraceEGold) herself:
YAAAAAAAY!! I am so happy with that skate!!! Thanks to everyone who kept supporting and believing in me! Long program tomorrow! #CupofRussia

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Zawadzki might crumble but Korpi even with poor jumps in her FS , she is a BEAUTY PCS and will still score high
Korpi is an almost sure lock for a podium with Gracie , remember Gracie at SC was a fluke for her other than that she never lost a competition other than SC

that leaves open 1 spot for a podium
Kanako not sure with her UR, and Adelina I am 100% sure will make mistakes in FS

I agree about Korpi. She'll be able to get over unless she goes into zamboni mode.

Actually, Gracie's lost twice this season already and she's never won a GP event. Small competitions versus elite senior international Gran Prix competitions...apples and oranges. The pressure is a lot different. She did well in the SP here, so that's a great sign; she's learning to manage her nerves...but her real test is coming up. Even iron-nerved Lipnitskaya was shaken at COC and skated below standard, and she led at and won every competition last year except nationals (two JGPs, JGPF and jr. worlds).

This is where Gracie proves herself. She's in the lead but not by that much. That means she knows she'll have to be good. Additionally, she's skating last...it's a lot of pressure! There's nothing about her track record to indicate she's got this in the bag... BUT if she can handle the pressure and turn in a solid performance, she'll have changed my mind. :) I want her to do well...but I refuse to get my hopes up just b/c she won the SP. How many stellar SP skaters has the US had in the last few years? Quite a few. The FS is and always has been the real test. My fingers are crossed for her...

Re: Adelina, even with mistakes (and, IIRC, she's literally had a mistake in every program she's ever skated on the GP) she's never missed a podium. Of course, there's a first time for everything...but she's still very much in the hunt...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
As I remember, at summer competitions Gracie sometimes skated SP good and FS not so good. So no warranty.

Kiira has "right to make mistake", in China she made three jumps of 1 turn (two of them - at the place of triples) in FS, and became third at final result, being fourth after SP.

All others (who pretend on medal) have no right to make serious mistake.

agreed I think Kiira is the most sure to podium of all the ladies
she can score beauty PCS to buffer even with 3 jumping pass or mistakes

hohoho

On the Ice
I think Gracie got "spooked" with the score that Osmond put up at SC in the SP. Although not as high as Gracies score at CoR. Will be interesting to see how Gracie holds up to the pressure of skating last and if skaters ahead of her put up big scores.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Actually, Gracie lost the new US International Figure Skating Classic earlier this season (Senior B)....to Agnes Zawadski!

She's lost twice this year. Didn't she lose to Hannah Miller at some competition earlier in the summer? I can't recall...

Other than that one JGP and junior nationals, what has she won? She was 2nd at jr worlds, finished behind the top competitors at WTT...anyone know?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
It's a shame that so many of you choose to paint yourselves into a corner with those old "Korpi beauty PCS" cracks. If you bothered to find out why she keeps getting those marks from a wide range of judges who certainly have different opinions on her beauty and its relevance, you might learn something.

How are we "painting ourselves into a corner" by pointing out the obvious? Korpi is overmarked on PCS for the level of skating that she does, compared to other skaters at the same competitions who don't get the same freebie bonus. We HAVE bothered to find out why she keeps getting those marks, and it's definitely the beauty and blondness. In other words, not what's happening with the blades on the ice but instead at the far other end of the skater. Let me guess....you are an unbiased Finn.