Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of Russia Ladies SP

Custom Title
    I think if Leonova had done that double axel, she would be our leader today. Anyway she looks stronger than Skate America, and is not stressed for the GPF spot or etc. She can deliver a good LP and can earn even gold medal. Very good SP for Gracie Gold but I have a sense that she will be nervous tomorrow like she was at Skate Canada. I hope I'm wrong for that. Kiira will probably get bronze at the end if Sotnikova can not deliver a clean LP. Kanako, with lots of UR still managed to get bronze medal at Skate Canada and she is still a factor for the podium here. Really complicated and unpredictible situation. Even Korobeynikova can climb up if the others bomb. (very low possibility though)

Custom Title
    It's a shame that so many of you choose to paint yourselves into a corner with those old "Korpi beauty PCS" cracks. If you bothered to find out why she keeps getting those marks from a wide range of judges who certainly have different opinions on her beauty and its relevance, you might learn something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Gracie and MAYBE Kiira have very strong shots at the podium.
    As I remember, at summer competitions Gracie sometimes skated SP good and FS not so good. So no warranty.

Kiira has "right to make mistake", in China she made three jumps of 1 turn (two of them - at the place of triples) in FS, and became third at final result, being fourth after SP.

All others (who pretend on medal) have no right to make serious mistake.

skating philosopher
    Ah I'm not going to be too analytical...

Lots of fun tweets from Gracie & Co.:

Timothy Dolensky ‏@TimDolensky (2012 national silver medalist in juniors):
    BAM! You go @GraceEGold!!!

Go @agneszawadzki!!! *cha ching*
    Douglas Razzano ‏@DouglasRazzano (Who is currently first at Ice Challenge in Graz):
    @agneszawadzki @GraceEGold Nailed it #COR2012
    And one from Gold (@GraceEGold) herself:
    YAAAAAAAY!! I am so happy with that skate!!! Thanks to everyone who kept supporting and believing in me! Long program tomorrow! #CupofRussia

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Zawadzki might crumble but Korpi even with poor jumps in her FS , she is a BEAUTY PCS and will still score high
    Korpi is an almost sure lock for a podium with Gracie , remember Gracie at SC was a fluke for her other than that she never lost a competition other than SC

that leaves open 1 spot for a podium
    Kanako not sure with her UR, and Adelina I am 100% sure will make mistakes in FS
    I agree about Korpi. She'll be able to get over unless she goes into zamboni mode.

Actually, Gracie's lost twice this season already and she's never won a GP event. Small competitions versus elite senior international Gran Prix competitions...apples and oranges. The pressure is a lot different. She did well in the SP here, so that's a great sign; she's learning to manage her nerves...but her real test is coming up. Even iron-nerved Lipnitskaya was shaken at COC and skated below standard, and she led at and won every competition last year except nationals (two JGPs, JGPF and jr. worlds).

This is where Gracie proves herself. She's in the lead but not by that much. That means she knows she'll have to be good. Additionally, she's skating last...it's a lot of pressure! There's nothing about her track record to indicate she's got this in the bag... BUT if she can handle the pressure and turn in a solid performance, she'll have changed my mind. I want her to do well...but I refuse to get my hopes up just b/c she won the SP. How many stellar SP skaters has the US had in the last few years? Quite a few. The FS is and always has been the real test. My fingers are crossed for her...

Re: Adelina, even with mistakes (and, IIRC, she's literally had a mistake in every program she's ever skated on the GP) she's never missed a podium. Of course, there's a first time for everything...but she's still very much in the hunt...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    As I remember, at summer competitions Gracie sometimes skated SP good and FS not so good. So no warranty.

Kiira has "right to make mistake", in China she made three jumps of 1 turn (two of them - at the place of triples) in FS, and became third at final result, being fourth after SP.

All others (who pretend on medal) have no right to make serious mistake.
    agreed I think Kiira is the most sure to podium of all the ladies
    she can score beauty PCS to buffer even with 3 jumping pass or mistakes

Custom Title
    I think Gracie got "spooked" with the score that Osmond put up at SC in the SP. Although not as high as Gracies score at CoR. Will be interesting to see how Gracie holds up to the pressure of skating last and if skaters ahead of her put up big scores.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    remember Gracie at SC was a fluke for her other than that she never lost a competition other than SC
    Actually, Gracie lost the new US International Figure Skating Classic earlier this season (Senior B)....to Agnes Zawadski!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Actually, Gracie lost the new US International Figure Skating Classic earlier this season (Senior B)....to Agnes Zawadski!

She's lost twice this year. Didn't she lose to Hannah Miller at some competition earlier in the summer? I can't recall...

Other than that one JGP and junior nationals, what has she won? She was 2nd at jr worlds, finished behind the top competitors at WTT...anyone know?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pohatta View Post
    It's a shame that so many of you choose to paint yourselves into a corner with those old "Korpi beauty PCS" cracks. If you bothered to find out why she keeps getting those marks from a wide range of judges who certainly have different opinions on her beauty and its relevance, you might learn something.
    How are we "painting ourselves into a corner" by pointing out the obvious? Korpi is overmarked on PCS for the level of skating that she does, compared to other skaters at the same competitions who don't get the same freebie bonus. We HAVE bothered to find out why she keeps getting those marks, and it's definitely the beauty and blondness. In other words, not what's happening with the blades on the ice but instead at the far other end of the skater. Let me guess....you are an unbiased Finn.

skating philosopher
    1 Gracie GOLD - 62.16
    2 Kiira KORPI - 61.55
    3 Agnes ZAWADZKI - 60.18
    4 Alena LEONOVA - 58.85
    5 Adelina SOTNIKOVA - 57.11
    6 Kanako MURAKAMI - 56.78
    7 Viktoria HELGESSON - 54.10
    8 Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA - 51.45
    9 Valentina MARCHEI - 46.25
    10 Caroline ZHANG - 46.15

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    1 Gracie GOLD - 62.16
    2 Kiira KORPI - 61.55
    3 Agnes ZAWADZKI - 60.18
    4 Alena LEONOVA - 58.85
    5 Adelina SOTNIKOVA - 57.11
    6 Kanako MURAKAMI - 56.78
    7 Viktoria HELGESSON - 54.10
    8 Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA - 51.45
    9 Valentina MARCHEI - 46.25
    10 Caroline ZHANG - 46.15
    Thank you!! You ROCK!

skating philosopher
    For what it's worth, Gracie got a new PB, beating her previous one (earned at JGP Estonia 60.18) by nearly two points.

LOL -- speaks to how high everyone's expectations are of her. She does a great program, gets a PB but everyone's more focused on how she'll do in the FS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    For what it's worth, Gracie got a new PB, beating her previous one (earned at JGP Estonia 60.18) by nearly two points.

LOL -- speaks to how high everyone's expectations are of her. She does a great program, gets a PB but everyone's more focused on how she'll do in the FS.
    She hasn't won anything yet. I just think people don't want to get their hopes up b/c we've seen it happen so many times. Someone puts out a kick@$$ SP only to fall apart in the FS...it takes a lot of nerve and competitive focus to put together two solid programs under pressure.

It'd be nice to have two American ladies capable of doing that...
    Last edited by kwanatic; 11-09-2012 at 09:57 AM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    She hasn't won anything yet. I just think people don't want to get their hopes up b/c we've seen it happen so many times. Someone puts out a kick@$$ SP only to fall apart in the FS...it takes a lot of nerve and competitive focus to put together two solid programs under pressure.

It'd be nice to have to American ladies capable of doing that...
    I totally get that and no, I don't think she's a lock by any means. But I think it's okay to say, "Hey, that was a good program" and to acknowledge that she did well today and earned a personal best. The same goes for Agnes (who also got a PB today as well).

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast