2012 Cup of Russia Ladies SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of Russia Ladies SP

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
How are we "painting ourselves into a corner" by pointing out the obvious? Korpi is overmarked on PCS for the level of skating that she does, compared to other skaters at the same competitions who don't get the same freebie bonus. We HAVE bothered to find out why she keeps getting those marks, and it's definitely the beauty and blondness. In other words, not what's happening with the blades on the ice but instead at the far other end of the skater. Let me guess....you are an unbiased Finn.

Geez! How harsh and inappropriate people can be here! Not just you, many of the writers. Americans are those who should take their american glasses away and follow the skaters more unbiased. I'm a Finn and a big fan of Kiira but it doesn't make me an unbiased Finn. I've followed this sports seriously 10-15 years and my experience is that usually skaters get what they deserve. There's always so much whining when somebody gets better score than your sweet American girls. Eg last week Mirai made a very unclean program but no no no, Mirai should have get better score. And these ******* beauty points; get over it!! If you think Kiira gets beauty points, why don't your fellow country skaters make themselves beautiful?! Forget those ridiculous pony tails, forget meaningless too-much-everything dresses (like Agnes, Alena), make yourself pretty. Every skater I've seen are pretty to my eye, nobody is ugly, it's just the way you make yourself beautiful. Kiira has always had very elegant dresses with a proper lenght of a skirt, tidy hair and a classical make-up. If you think you get points with that, why don't everybody else do the same?! Nobody whines about Alissa, she is pretty, she gets good PCS. Oops, I forgot, she is an American.

If Kiira skates a clean program what she did today (even though she planned 3T-3T and made 3T-2T, it doesn't make a program unclean), some of you would never give her good score. She is a fantastic presenter with a clean and strong technique - never "e" and very rarely < or <<. She finishes her movements properly and doesn't run from element to element like many other skaters do. She has a good choreography, not jumps after jumps like Julia L. or Gracie. Well, Gracie had very good transitions. Kiira is graceful, mature and she has difficulty in her programs. I think she could even have higher PCS but I don't whine, I trust to the judges.

About todays programs: Agnes had techically a very nice programme, and the interpretation was ok, nothing special, though. She is young, but her PCS were justified. Gracie's jumps are awesome, I really like her, she deserved her first place. Alena has never been my favourite, but she had much better SP than earlier. And luckily she didn't have that ridiculous ponytail anymore.

I wish the comments here wouldn't been so inconsiderate. Please argue and explain your opinions. An opinion without an argument is useless. That is what I try to teach also my little pupils :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 62.16 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Kiira KORPI (FIN) - 61.55 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 60.18 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 58.85 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 57.11 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 56.78 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 54.10 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA (RUS) - 51.45 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 46.25 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Caroline ZHANG (USA) - 46.15 Short Program, 2nd Copy

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Here's the protocol
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2012/gprus2012_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

Girl, you need to watch it again. While there are several kind of speed, I'm very sure agnes and the speed you're referring to have never met.
Great spins? She just got a level 1. CCoSp1

She appeared to be moving with a lot of flow and speed to me...she definitely wasn't slow.

I thought her spins were fast and centered...apparently the technical panel didn't. Maybe that's why she didn't score higher?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She appeared to be moving with a lot of flow and speed to me...she definitely wasn't slow.

I thought her spins were fast and centered...apparently the technical panel didn't. Maybe that's why she didn't score higher?

You usually lose levels for a lack of revolutions or certain positions, not for a lack of speed/center. The judges thought she did fine with the spin giving her 0.50 +GOE.

Also Grace RE: edge call on 3F-3T (sorry just thought I note this). Most of the judges gave her 0 or -1 (one gave -2), so that tells me that 1.) the other qualities of the combo made up for the -3 she might have gotten for a severe call or 2.) It is actually more of a (!) call, i.e. not severe, basically borderline. In that case judges are asked to take off -1 or -2. And it's possible that the height and flow of the jump may have eradicated that deduction as well.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think that's how it should be. A lot of the time you'll see a seemingly perfectly executed jump receiving -2s and -3s b/c of an edge call. If the jump has a difficult entrance, good height and distance, speed, good landing and riding edge, it really confuses people to see those kind of GOEs when the scores come up.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I agree, but in the current judging system there are no deductions for being predictable and same-old. Just like there's no beauty bonus.
Then you should re-read the judging system well. There is Presentation and Interpretation score and being boring is surely a part of it. And it should be the negative part.

Country
Russia
If Kiira skates a clean program what she did today (even though she planned 3T-3T and made 3T-2T, it doesn't make a program unclean)
Yes. IMO, she deserves her PCS and almost all her GOE, maybe StSq is a bit overscored.
Her LSp2, maybe, was not so good, but she has only 2nd level and very low PCS for it, so this element is not overscored.

Gracie's jumps are awesome, I really like her, she deserved her first place.
Yes, she deserves first place, but only for very high technical level. Her PCS are not high and she does not deserve higher for this skating.

Alena has never been my favourite, but she had much better SP than earlier.
Today Alena jumped well. At past her GP Event her jumps were poor.
And at all she skated much better.

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I was wrong about Gracie, saying that she is another headcase.She is GREAT!So happy for, finally, STRONG skater!))Hope she will be 1st=)))
Adelina....I'm losing my faith i her(

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I was wrong about Gracie, saying that she is another headcase.She is GREAT!So happy for, finally, STRONG skater!))Hope she will be 1st=)))
Adelina....I'm losing my faith i her(

Gracie SC was just a fluke imo
I think the only Russian Girl to go to GPF this season is Julia

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Gracie SC was just a fluke imo
I think the only Russian Girl to go to GPF this season is Julia

It's not bad)I'll be happy if she goes to gpf...I still can't believe how Russian weakest field(ladies) has become one of the strongest potentially..There's never been so many talented girls:) I think I started wanting impossible for this very moment, wanting all of our girls to make a big splash in world's skating instantly. Now I finally get that they are just a bunch of young girls. It's not their time yet to be on top. If they ever be, I'll be ecstatic)

Macassar88

Medalist
It's not bad)I'll be happy if she goes to gpf...I still can't believe how Russian weakest field(ladies) has become one of the strongest potentially..There's never been so many talented girls:) I think I started wanting impossible for this very moment, wanting all of our girls to make a big splash in world's skating instantly. Now I finally get that they are just a bunch of young girls. It's not their time yet to be on top. If they ever be, I'll be ecstatic)

Well Osmond probably won't get a second GP, so there's one more spot open for a Russian girl (maybe Adelina or Liza)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I thought the country can't replace the skater?Isn't it Japan or ISU to decide whom to send?:think:

Country
Russia
We see now four Ladies who most probably will be at Final.
Mao Asada and Akiko Suzuki have their 2nd Event in Japan without real competitors (we all understand, that even if there will be Osmond, she won't win any of them). So Final for both.
Ashley Wagner (she is stable enough) will have high place in Paris, enough for Final.
Julia Lipnitskaia (at China was worst her skating from beginning of past season) probably also.

Who will be two others? Tomorrow, after FS, we will have significant part of info. Korpi, Sotnikova, Murakami - who will lose chance?
Korobeynikova, Zavadzki - it is possible in theory, but in fact not very probable that some of them will have chance to Final. We will see - will one of them have chance.
Other five have no chance. Marchei skates not so good to have good place (first or second), other four have too low place of their first Event.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mao Asada and Akiko Suzuki have their 2nd Event in Japan without real competitors (we all understand, that even if there will be Osmond, she won't win any of them). So Final for both.
Ashley Wagner (she is stable enough) will have high place in Paris, enough for Final.
Julia Lipnitskaia (at China was worst her skating from beginning of past season) probably also.

Who will be two others? Tomorrow, after FS, we will have significant part of info. Korpi, Sotnikova, Murakami - who will lose chance?
Korobeynikova, Zavadzki - it is possible in theory, but in fact not very probable that some of them will have chance to Final. We will see - will one of them have chance.
Other five have no chance. Marchei skates not so good to have good place (first or second), other four have too low place of their first Event.

Don't forget Gao. She's at TEB too.

Country
Russia
Well Osmond probably won't get a second GP, so there's one more spot open for a Russian girl (maybe Adelina or Liza)
All Russian girls have two places at Events, third is refused.
And only Russian girl of Top 75, who has not GP or JGP Events, is Polina Agafonova. She is not in good state, so Federation will not want to send her to GP.
So no Russians.

I thought the country can't replace the skater?Isn't it Japan or ISU to decide whom to send?:think:
Solves Japanese Federation, but of very short list of pretenders, which gives ISU (five of Top75 who have highest Season Best).
Because of lack of time, may be place will be lost.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And only Russian girl of Top 75, who has not GP or JGP Events, is Polina Agafonova. She is not in good state, so Federation will not want to send her to GP.
So no Russians.

Solves Japanese Federation, but of very short list of pretenders, which gives ISU (five of Top75 who have highest Season Best).

NHK just invited Alexa Scimeca & Chris Knierim to compete in pairs...so it looks like NHK Trophy WILL fill those spots if they can.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...im-gets-NHK-Trophy-invite&p=676210#post676210

Sorry for the OT.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

there is Christina Gao don't know if she can repeat her SA performance or was a fluke
Liza was 4th in SC if she wins silver at least in TEB , she could still be in GPF, though it will be tough with Julia and Ashley competing

Macassar88

Medalist
So no Russians.

What I meant is that Osmond has 15 GP points, but since she won't get another GP assignment, that's one more spot in the GPF for a Russian girl

IleK

On the Ice
I am very happy for Gracie and Kiira. I wish Adelina could have done better, that flip is a nightmare. At least she could have double it this time but not single again.
Well, unlike AnnaTheMusician, I am not finn, I am roumanian but I am sick entire of people criticizing Kiira for being beautiful, it is a curse to be beautiful that you cant see the beauty of her skating beacuse of her natural beauty? I mean she really is good, not overscored, just check the protocols, everything is explained there.
If Kiira is Beauty PCS than what is Alena?? She dresses ugly, I dont like the way she moves, the expression of her face, her hair looks awful most of the time and she scored the same PCS as Kiira. Than she had no axel. Kiira has 61,54 points and Alena 58,85, so where is the inflation? Kiira kas the best loop of female skaters and also gourgeus double axel for whom she always receives fair extra points.
In Coc everybody was complaining after SP like always, Kiira is the favourite of the judges, she is overscored, Mirai is far better but after LP where she had 5 clean triples including 3T-3T and lutz with no edge compared to Mao with only 3 clean triples and no lutz and Mirai with only one triple, nobody said anything anymore about Kiira. No apreciation words, no nothing. Just winning about Mao or Mirai. So, the fact that she is not loved here, no matter what she does. Because mMo and Mirai did a lot of mistakes, Mao even won only with her PCS but she had a lot of people to love her and say she was great even with so many mistakes and she deserved to win because she was a beauty on ice. Then, Mirai with all her more than visible UR and slow skating also had people saying she was nice to watch. Well, Kiira has me and Anna and the judges too see she never flutzes, never UR, sometimes she misses some jumps but she has perfect technique jumps, perfect spins, stepsequences and great skating skills. And when something is wrong I always see it in her panel, like it was today the Lsp2.
Anyway, besides Kiira, I am a fan of Gracie and Adelina and I wish them all the bes for tomorrow FS. I hope all of them make the podium.