Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of Russia Men's SP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    but he basically ruined it with that program, an artless program whose main purpose seemed to be a venue for him to wiggle his butts before an audience.
    Wasn't it plainly and clearly so when he announced his comeback? I actually didn't expect anything more than this.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 11-09-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Custom Title
    MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 85.44 Short Program
    2. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 76.73 Short Program
    3. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 76.34 Short Program
    4. Zhan BUSH (RUS) - 74.50 Short Program
    5. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 74.07 Short Program
    6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 73.83 Short Program
    7. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 67.44 Short Program
    8. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 63.18 Short Program
    9. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 59.42 Short Program
    10. Johnny WEIR (USA) - 57.47 Short Program
    Last edited by Mao88; 11-09-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    It's not an artless program, it actually can work quite well, except for the last parts after the step sequence. The music cut there needs to be changed. Johnny's flow and positions are something that's sorely lacking from figure skating these days; it's too bad he completely bungled the jumps. He is NEVER going to do a rotated quad if he keeps approaching it like this. Needs way more speed and less reach-around on the toepick. He used to get very good elevation and rotation on his quads before going to Galina, albeit with two-foot landings. Regardless, fully-rotated quads with two-foot landings give you a lot of points under this scoring system, so that's what Johnny should aim to do. He needs to get a jump coach. Galina is TRASH.

Custom Title
    Chan:...okay not breathtaking but very good. Love this program. He's has the skills to be breathtaking and even me not being a fan can really appreciate his glide on the ice.
    Last edited by lavender; 11-09-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Jeez.. what an argument. He didn't have such an element as 4T without -GOE according to the protocol.
    It had nothing to do with his 4T. According to the GOE rules discussed before:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...pply-GOE-Rules

SP: One or more rev. less than required GOE -3
    So, Patrick's 1T got -3 GOE.

ETA:

Because of the same rule, Brezina's 2S got -3 GOE. So he got only 0.70 on this element.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 11-09-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Custom Title
    I think Johnny has to get use to competing and he could do better than that. I really like his much improved spins.

I showed up when Denis Ten was skating - didn't realize Johnny Weir was all the way down in last. Hopefully he can pull it up in the long. I don't even like him that much, but I wanted him to have a good comeback.

Custom Title
    I've only had the chance to watch Johnny and Patrick, in that order. Whoa, what a difference lol. I like Johnny, but there's really not all that much to his Lady Gaga program, seems there's just a lot of skating around......and a little slowly at that.
    Thought Patrick did a good job, I really love this program and can't wait to see him really grow into it for competition. I think the emoting will come along with mileage and confidence, he needed this skate. I find it weird that he did the 1T after the quad though, he's usually so good when it comes to adding a jump later on if needed, but whatever, I"m sure he has his reasons. I guess skaters can only think so much out there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    For once I agree with others ... we can always enjoy PCS from Chan. His skating was breathtaking.
    Agree. Breathtaking skating, wonderful music, great costume - PC displays why he's two time world champ. No perfect yet, but getting there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Okay I realized something. I am not really a Chan fan BUT i feel sorry for the guy because the people on this site are horrible to him. It is almost personal sometimes. I think perhaps the backlash against Chan is almost causing unfair scoring (pressure on the judges) to undermark Chan. I spoke to an ISU judge and they said from what they have seen of Chan his PCS are amazing - just watching him glide is art. Remember TES are more than jumps - spins, footwork....I do think CHan has to work on the jumps but the scores here in Russia in the men's were low. Chan would have had another say 4 to 6 points on the combo had he done a clean triple toe. A clean routine should be nearing 100 like the Japanese men. Well I guess it depends on the judging.
    Well, you know what they say: when an athlete is at the top for such a long time, as P/C has been, he knows he's the best and of course everyone's going to try to knock him out of that position. Normal. Too bad that there appears to be small group of such mean-spirited, small minded people bashing him & coming up with bizarre conspiracy theories & suggestions of judging collusion and the like. Backlash against Chan? I don't agree. Depends who you talk to. Almost everyone in the skating world I speak with loves Chan and completely understands why he receives such high scores. There are "fans" who just don't understand scoring; they are extreme in their "patriotism" and if their favorite doesn't win they can't accept it. Sad people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Diva View Post
    Well, you know what they say: when an athlete is at the top for such a long time, as P/C has been, he knows he's the best and of course everyone's going to try to knock him out of that position. Normal. Too bad that there appears to be small group of such mean-spirited, small minded people bashing him & coming up with bizarre conspiracy theories & suggestions of judging collusion and the like. Backlash against Chan? I don't agree. Depends who you talk to. Almost everyone in the skating world I speak with loves Chan and completely understands why he receives such high scores. There are "fans" who just don't understand scoring; they are extreme in their "patriotism" and if their favorite doesn't win they can't accept it. Sad people.
    Funny - people complained Chan was overmarked in the past, now some complain that he's undermarked!

Custom Title
    Totally agree. I spoke about this last week on this forum. Chan is truly an amazing skater. There is no one who can compare with his run of the blade or edge quality. He spent his entire youth working on these qualities and deserves to be marked accordingly. I do feel his jumps need a bit of refinement this year but his PCS should be ahead of all the male skaters in the world.

Custom Title
    Congrats Patrick Chan! Great build-up from SC with room to grow.

BTW, love these Brit commentators...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWX7tsA6o8

No, you are wrong. I'm a fan of FS, not skater as not an expert. But I watched the Fs in my whole life. I can see Chan's glide on ice, but something is missing. Charisma? I don't know....I believe you, that Chan is great in PCS. But I have a question..he is two time world champion, why he hasn't more fans in the world?? /I don't speak about Fs forum members, i speak the layman people, but i think here are layman people too / Like had/ has Browning, Yagudin, Plushenko, Lambiel, Dai???? Why?? I think, this is a very important question...his most fans are in North-America, but the rest of the world don't go crazy for him..Why?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    You know, for the first time I'm finding myself really rooting for Patrick. I don't know if it's because he finally has programs I really like, or because he's suddenly beatable, or what, but I hope to see him knock it out of the park this year.
    Add me to this list.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast