2012 Cup of Russia Men's SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of Russia Men's SP

skatinginbc

Medalist
sorry.I can't see his emotions, only learned movements
I kind of agree with you for this particular performance. I got the impression that technical elements and emoting are in complementary distribution to him at this point: He can do well on either one, but not both at the same time, which, I guess, might demand more mileage. And I think he would eventually be able to do that.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Johnny :cry: :no: Hope that he can do better in the free skate... Somewhat surprising to me Menshov is in second, but he skated really well in his home country! Glad he's having a good season :)

(I can't help but cheer for the veterens :) )

I loved Meshnov at Skate America. He was one of my nice surprises there (along with Machida). So I'm happy he did well here so far. If he got a medal, that would be such a nice surprise (alas, a wreak to my predictions...).

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 85.44 Short Program
2. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 76.73
3. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 76.34 Short Program
4. Zhan BUSH (RUS) - 74.50
5. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 74.07 Short Program
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 73.83 Short Program
7. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 67.44
8. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 63.18 Short Program
9. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 59.42
10. Johnny WEIR (USA) - 57.47

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Kozuka 38 pcs are really hurting him. I love his program, even with mistakes he is very aetherial to watch. I dont think he deserves so low pcs.

Menshov has some season so far. :eek:I m amazed!

deedee1

Record Breaker
I love Kozuka, love this music, but so much missed opportunity with the choreography and how this program is laid out.

I agree with you. With this kind of music choice, Taka needs to skate big and REACH OUT to the audience for sure.
And his team got to do something concerning his sitll 'lower' PCS in spite of his winning SA. Now.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay I realized something. I am not really a Chan fan BUT i feel sorry for the guy because the people on this site are horrible to him. It is almost personal sometimes. I think perhaps the backlash against Chan is almost causing unfair scoring (pressure on the judges) to undermark Chan. I spoke to an ISU judge and they said from what they have seen of Chan his PCS are amazing - just watching him glide is art. Remember TES are more than jumps - spins, footwork....I do think CHan has to work on the jumps but the scores here in Russia in the men's were low. Chan would have had another say 4 to 6 points on the combo had he done a clean triple toe. A clean routine should be nearing 100 like the Japanese men. Well I guess it depends on the judging.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Poor Johnny. I had a high hope for his return, but he basically ruined it with that program, an artless program whose main purpose seemed to be a venue for him to wiggle his butts before an audience.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
but he basically ruined it with that program, an artless program whose main purpose seemed to be a venue for him to wiggle his butts before an audience.

Wasn't it plainly and clearly so when he announced his comeback?:p I actually didn't expect anything more than this.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's not an artless program, it actually can work quite well, except for the last parts after the step sequence. The music cut there needs to be changed. Johnny's flow and positions are something that's sorely lacking from figure skating these days; it's too bad he completely bungled the jumps. He is NEVER going to do a rotated quad if he keeps approaching it like this. Needs way more speed and less reach-around on the toepick. He used to get very good elevation and rotation on his quads before going to Galina, albeit with two-foot landings. Regardless, fully-rotated quads with two-foot landings give you a lot of points under this scoring system, so that's what Johnny should aim to do. He needs to get a jump coach. Galina is TRASH.

lavender

Record Breaker
Chan:...okay not breathtaking but very good. Love this program. He's has the skills to be breathtaking and even me not being a fan can really appreciate his glide on the ice.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Jeez.. what an argument. He didn't have such an element as 4T without -GOE according to the protocol.

It had nothing to do with his 4T. According to the GOE rules discussed before:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?37873-How-Would-You-Explain-And-Apply-GOE-Rules

SP: One or more rev. less than required GOE -3

So, Patrick's 1T got -3 GOE.

ETA:

Because of the same rule, Brezina's 2S got -3 GOE. So he got only 0.70 on this element.:cry:

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I think Johnny has to get use to competing and he could do better than that. I really like his much improved spins.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I showed up when Denis Ten was skating - didn't realize Johnny Weir was all the way down in last. Hopefully he can pull it up in the long. I don't even like him that much, but I wanted him to have a good comeback.

SGrand

Final Flight
I've only had the chance to watch Johnny and Patrick, in that order. Whoa, what a difference lol. I like Johnny, but there's really not all that much to his Lady Gaga program, seems there's just a lot of skating around......and a little slowly at that.
Thought Patrick did a good job, I really love this program and can't wait to see him really grow into it for competition. I think the emoting will come along with mileage and confidence, he needed this skate. I find it weird that he did the 1T after the quad though, he's usually so good when it comes to adding a jump later on if needed, but whatever, I"m sure he has his reasons. I guess skaters can only think so much out there.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
For once I agree with others ... we can always enjoy PCS from Chan. His skating was breathtaking.
Agree. Breathtaking skating, wonderful music, great costume - PC displays why he's two time world champ. No perfect yet, but getting there.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Okay I realized something. I am not really a Chan fan BUT i feel sorry for the guy because the people on this site are horrible to him. It is almost personal sometimes. I think perhaps the backlash against Chan is almost causing unfair scoring (pressure on the judges) to undermark Chan. I spoke to an ISU judge and they said from what they have seen of Chan his PCS are amazing - just watching him glide is art. Remember TES are more than jumps - spins, footwork....I do think CHan has to work on the jumps but the scores here in Russia in the men's were low. Chan would have had another say 4 to 6 points on the combo had he done a clean triple toe. A clean routine should be nearing 100 like the Japanese men. Well I guess it depends on the judging.

Well, you know what they say: when an athlete is at the top for such a long time, as P/C has been, he knows he's the best and of course everyone's going to try to knock him out of that position. Normal. Too bad that there appears to be small group of such mean-spirited, small minded people bashing him & coming up with bizarre conspiracy theories & suggestions of judging collusion and the like. Backlash against Chan? I don't agree. Depends who you talk to. Almost everyone in the skating world I speak with loves Chan and completely understands why he receives such high scores. There are "fans" who just don't understand scoring; they are extreme in their "patriotism" and if their favorite doesn't win they can't accept it. Sad people.