2014 Olympics Question- Team Medal? | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Question- Team Medal?

Rod Celaya

Spectator
I was reading somewhere that they are going to have a "Team" competition. Does anyone know what this is about? I am assuming they would have one person per country in mens, ladies, pairs, and dance, have them compete then whoever has the best total score wins..?? That is my own theory. If anyone can help me that would be great. THX!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hi rod, welcome to the forums! Yes they will have a team competition... kinda like they do in gymnastics... they've already had trial runs of the way the competition would work, like the World Team Challenge... :)

Welcome, Rod.

Here are the rules about how the teams are selected, and so on. Only ten countries get to compete in the team event, and the skaters who compete for the team must be chosen from the skaters that have already qualified for individual competition.

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3215

(For some reason I can't seem to find the direct link. If this link takes you to a folder with three files, click on the first one and scroll down to "Annex".)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am assuming they would have one person per country in mens, ladies, pairs, and dance, have them compete then whoever has the best total score wins..??

If I remember correctly what the ISU had announced (sorry, have not gone back to double-check):
I believe that the combined rankings from the individual disciplines are what will determine the overall team placements and medals. Not the total scores.

(Isn't that how World Team Trophy also is structured -- again, if I remember correctly?)

Last edited: