2012 Cup of Russia Ladies' FS | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of Russia Ladies' FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gracie looked good, but I'm happy with Kiira winning--the program she did today looked really well put together and executed. I didn't remember that Korpi's spins were that fast. Very impressive.

Sheesh, though, Gachinski isn't holding up well.

Yeah, I'm fine with it. She has very good basics; so that should count for something.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Saw Adelina on HD. Well, for those who think she has good jump technique, you need to see her again. All of her jumps, she landed with a really odd forward position. No flow, no good landing to add combo. I don't think her 3x3 will stay with her for long.

This girl is not so good.

Alena is another sad girl, but I think she will make the Sochi team. Her teammates are a bunch of hot mess.

Enidan

On the Ice
Saw Adelina on HD. Well, for those who think she has good jump technique, you need to see her again. All of her jumps, she landed with a really odd forward position. No flow, no good landing to add combo. I don't think her 3x3 will stay with her for long.

This girl is not so good.

Alena is another sad girl, but I think she will make the Sochi team. Her teammates are a bunch of hot mess.

I agree. Not only her jump is bad. She is getting fat and her skating is getting heavy like Rachel Flatt. To jump good, she definitely need to diet.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
So nice to see the skaters on a big screen. One of the things that I realized today from watching the big screen opposed to watching on the computer is that Gracie Gold's skating
skills are very,very impressive, this young lady has the goods at 17. On the other hand as much as I like Agnes I can understand why her PC's
are lower than Gracie and Kiira.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
OPINION: Gannon & Lipinski talk too much.

I though Lipinski was very good a few years back...but she has not impressed me this season.

YES! THIS! All I remember commentary-wise from the coverage today was that Carruthers and/or Gannon seemed to talk quite negatively about some of the skaters and went on to explain why they "weren't" good.

Also, I liked Lipinski's past commentary, but she relies too heavily on talking about her past experiences competing. Don't get me wrong, I find a skater's insight quite intriguing, but if she keeps it up, pretty soon I'll be immune to it and it'll start getting annoying.

I think it'd be better and less distracting if she focused more on the skating rather than going "Well, in my experience, I might've felt kind of nervous before I had to skate, so I think she might be feeling that as well."

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
YES! THIS! All I remember commentary-wise from the coverage today was that Carruthers and/or Gannon seemed to talk quite negatively about some of the skaters and went on to explain why they "weren't" good.

Also, I liked Lipinski's past commentary, but she relies too heavily on talking about her past experiences competing. Don't get me wrong, I find a skater's insight quite intriguing, but if she keeps it up, pretty soon I'll be immune to it and it'll start getting annoying.

I think it'd be better and less distracting if she focused more on the skating rather than going "Well, in my experience, I might've felt kind of nervous before I had to skate, so I think she might be feeling that as well."

I also didn't like the fact that Tara was blathering on about how Gracie was "falling apart" after she screwed up on her 3-loop (doubled and botched landing) and yeah was all like "well if I hit my first hard jump, then I was on!" Then she went on and on about how great Murakami's performance was without noting if she had any URs. And I think it's a bit much for Tara to comment about the Russian babies falling short considering that she went though puberty AFTER she won her OGM.

Carruthers is hit and miss, but today he was pretty good, especially in explaining why Gachinski wasn't doing so great today.

Last edited:
My question in this regard is how connected to skating Tara remained in the years between her OGM and now. Is she basing all her insights on her own experiences of competing and training? That doesn't always lead to clarity in commentating. I haven't seen a lot of competitions with her commentary, so I have no way of evaluating her work. Someone like Tracy Wilson seems to be very up on not only how dance is trained and judged nowadays but on the background of each of the current competitors. I'm not sure I get that sense from Tara, but as I say, I haven't seen much of her work.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^That is a good question Olympia. Here in the US we only get scripted commentary for figure skating. If you are a live commentator you have to have knowledge
of what is happening in all aspects of figure skating something that scripted commentators can lack, Tara's limited knowledge is evident in her commentary.
I always interpret Tara's commentary as more of fluff than informative.

Now Tanith Belbin does a very good job of commentating on Ice Dancing from a script, so it is possible to have informative commentary from a script.

prettykeys

Medalist
OMG, this an example of why Kanako get excessive criticism she doesn't deserve. Kanako has flaws, but so do most skaters. Why can't people concentrate more on strengths instead of weaknesses?
I already said it was a minor pet peeve of mine that was not really related to figure skating. But it did affect my enjoyment of her past performances. It's neither a strength or a weakness, even. It's more like "stop doing it, it distracts me in a negative way". She doesn't do it this season, thank goodness, so now I can simply enjoy her.

Country
Russia
So nice to see the skaters on a big screen. One of the things that I realized today from watching the big screen opposed to watching on the computer is that Gracie Gold's skating
skills are very,very impressive, this young lady has the goods at 17. On the other hand as much as I like Agnes I can understand why her PC's
are lower than Gracie and Kiira.

Seeing the skaters alive is much more exciting than at any screen (I'm from Moscow, Russia).
But if comparing their skills - it's no difference for me between "alive" and "video".
Kiira Korpi at this competition was much better than others.

Agnes, as for me, had her 3rd place only because of lack of really good skaters with stable skating. She is good, but not very good.

Gracie unfortunately is not stable in jumps after Junior Worlds.

Kanako Murakami is very nice, but not stable enough. I wanted to see her at second place. Her 4th place - result of her mistakes.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I though Lipinski was very good a few years back...but she has not impressed me this season.

I agree! I enjoyed Tara's commentary when she first started for Universal. But at this point, she's phoning it in. The only thing she's been commenting on is jumps. She's had very little to say about skaters' strengths/weaknesses in regard to PCS, skating skills, artistry, choreography, etc. And even her jump commentary is not all that helpful. During Gracie's long, she said Gracie was "falling apart" and making too many mistakes, but didn't explain what those mistakes actually were. Also, she talks too much about her own career, which, let's face it, was 15 years ago and in a different era. Last week Tonia Kwiatkowski replaced her for Cup of China, and I found Tonia's commentary more insightful.

I actually like Peter Carruthers. He's not very coherent, but I like his enthusiasm, and he actually does notice some important stuff, although he doesn't always express it that well.

He cracked me up yesterday. I was watching the second half of Menshov's LP, and thinking, "Geez, this program is becoming endless," when not 10 seconds later, Peter blurts out, "Boy is this music monotonous!!" :) Yes!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Zawadzki unfortunately does not have the same fire in the FS that she has in the SP. I think Lipinski may have pointed this out(?) and she is right. But I suppose her main focus is mainly to stay on her feet- the rest will take care of itself in due time.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Zawadzki unfortunately does not have the same fire in the FS that she has in the SP. I think Lipinski may have pointed this out(?) and she is right. But I suppose her main focus is mainly to stay on her feet- the rest will take care of itself in due time.

Agnes had a pretty good free skate. But I think she needs to pick up the speed. She looked noticeably slower out there than Gracie, Kiira, and Kanako. More speed will help her sell the program more.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
FlattFan said:
I have seen Agnes' live, even when she skated clean, she was slow. She is tall, so it appears to be slower. Her skating skill across the ice isn't so good. Her jumps were good. Her level here weren't good. She did herself in and scored lower than she should be able to. Agnes apparently haven't bothered to find out how to fix those problem. Doing gypsy music doesn't mean you are better at interpreting the music for gypsy.
Watch those two doing their step sequence and you can see the difference in skill.
kwanatic said:
Agnes: She should have had Kiira's score. Huge jumps, tons of speed, great spins, loads of energy...she was undermarked.
FlattFan said:
Girl, you need to watch it again. While there are several kind of speed, I'm very sure agnes and the speed you're referring to have never met.
Great spins? She just got a level 1. CCoSp1
kwanatic said:
She appeared to be moving with a lot of flow and speed to me...she definitely wasn't slow.

It's strange, but some people think Agnes is fast. I can't stress it enough, watch it again if you're unsure. This girl is not fast, has never been fast.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I have missed the first half of Grand Prix series, so CoR was actually the first competition of the season for me to get to see top skaters' new programs on TV...only mens and ladies as usual, though, since regular TVs never broadcast other disciplines unfortunately; dance and pairs in my country (except NHK Trophy)...:disapp:

Congratulations to Kiira, Gracie and Agnes! :clap:

Here is my impressions of Ladies Free:
-I really liked Korpi's, Gold's, and Marchei's free programs as whole. Helgesson's, too. Korpi and Helgesson were far above everyone else in terms of skaitng skills. Kiira is ready to finally get onto the Worlds podium. Good luck to her for the rest of the season! :yes:
-Liked Zawadzki's, too. Rapsody program suits her personality very well. Gracie's L is B is well-choreographed and also age-appropriate.
-Kanako and Adelina need some more of maturity to put off that kind of music/program. They look much better in different costumes, maybe? To Kanako: have some makeup lessons asap, p-l-e-a-s-e.
-As for Choreo sq, Murakami's was the best for me. Korpi's was great, too.
-Very sad to see Alena's disapointed face after SP and LP in front of home crowd. Her new programs, both SP and Free are a bit of letdown after such a very successful last season. But not her fault, I would rather blame it to Morozov. :scowl:

My biggest surprise from this comp was Valentina Marchei!
I love her programs this season, as well as her a bit toned-down makeup and costume ;). She looks more matured and elegant on the ice.
Last season I did not see, I thought, any improvement from Valentina and Adam as far as skating skills/stroking/gliding was concerned, even though they were actually coached by Yuka and Jason. But this year, I have seen it in Valentina's skating and her programs. So kudos to her and her coaches!