Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of Russia Free Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I certainly thought that Fledermaus was one of the best, most evocative routines I'd ever seen, and I continue to think so. But now that I've finally seen V/M's Carmen, I'd put it up there among the great works of ice dance art. I guess you can design only ne of those in a season. (Most choreographers can manage only one in a lifetime.) Wow, wow, wow! For one thing, I love the parts of the music that she chose, including the Flower Song. I also love that both skaters wear all black, instead of having Tessa in the more cliched red. She looks eye-poppingly gorgeous in black. (Heck, Scott looks eye-poppingly gorgeous in black.) This Carmen, along with Die Fledermaus, is an artistic experience.

That one-armed candlestick lift...oh, my word.
    I have seen so little skating this season - schedule not permitting to watch much. But, I did want to say that I really agree with you here! Last year, I think because it was Tessa's first year supposedly pain free and healthy, I just rooted for V/M the whole season even though I didn't love their FD music - I 'got it' and appreciated it a lot intellectually, but didn't feel it emotionally the way they seemed too (and perhaps other fans did). It wasn't until after worlds that I really let myself re-watch D/W's FD, which I did love all season. And after the season, I just felt so strongly that their FD was just simply the best and I do wish in hindsight that they had won Worlds with it (and this is just IMHO, not trying to start a fight....just saying that i really, really loved it).

That said, and repeating that I have hardly watched any skating this season, I have rewatched V/M's Carmen from Skate Canada and Russia a number of times and I am just so, so, so taken in by it. It is remarkable - again, imho.

Rinkside
    I/K - if they fall behind C/L this season, they are really in trouble. B/S already scored 97+ in the US (!!), have a somewhat similar FS and are far better in many aspects (lifts, presenting the male partner (for the first time it's able to see Soloviev, because he isn't hidden between voluminous costumes), concept ("Tosca" means culmination, fitting or not; "Ghost" is falling to pieces because of the dialogue), costumes (B/S understated, but fitting (S) and a bit elegant (B)). Zhulin got it right with them, only the "Carmen - experiment" V/M is such a perfect match (or will be, when cleaned up); Lanotte hasn't the cool arrogance, Capellini hasn't the fire; W/P don't live up to "Malade"; P/B are still superior, but their FD isn't interesting per se.

Custom Title
    Davis and White should move to Igor and have Tarasova choreograph their programs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    Davis and White should move to Igor and have Tarasova choreograph their programs
    Move to Igor sure- if they can get a good choreographer but Tarasova?!! Tarasova would give them some overwrought program with hideous costume ideas. I think most skaters singles, pairs, or dancers should stay far, far away from Tarasova. She is past her time.

Custom Title
    lol. Sandra Bezic always creates magic and she is a "lucky" choreographer. Her programs seem to always end up on the Olympic podium when she does them

Custom Title
    Bezic is prohibited from choreographing for eligible skaters due to her NBC commentating contract. (Frankly though, I'd much rather see her choreography than listen to her biased commentary.)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icewave View Post
    I/K - if they fall behind C/L this season, they are really in trouble. B/S already scored 97+ in the US (!!), have a somewhat similar FS and are far better in many aspects (lifts, presenting the male partner (for the first time it's able to see Soloviev, because he isn't hidden between voluminous costumes), concept ("Tosca" means culmination, fitting or not; "Ghost" is falling to pieces because of the dialogue), costumes (B/S understated, but fitting (S) and a bit elegant (B)). Zhulin got it right with them, only the "Carmen - experiment" V/M is such a perfect match (or will be, when cleaned up); Lanotte hasn't the cool arrogance, Capellini hasn't the fire; W/P don't live up to "Malade"; P/B are still superior, but their FD isn't interesting per se.
    icewave, Welcome to Golden Skate! Post long & often!

Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    Have you forgotten Tarasova's efforts to make Khoklova & Novitski's 2010 Olympic programs? I would not wish that on any ice dancers again:

2009 CoC SD Russian folk dance
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53daixfppO4

2009 CoC FD Meadowlands
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA_fBKoCH-s

In fact, they ditched Meadowlands before Europeans, switching to Firebird, which had been an exhibition for them, but it was not possible to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Bezic is prohibited from choreographing for eligible skaters due to her NBC commentating contract. (Frankly though, I'd much rather see her choreography than listen to her biased commentary.)
    I don't care whether she is biased or not; what kills me is that she is not accurate.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I think the Shibs have a great FD this year...she has matured so much (in a good way) and if he was healthy I think they would have moved up into podium position with it. the SD is kind of odd....they would have pulled off a traditional polka/waltz very easily, and should have just gone that route instead of trying too hard to be original.

Virtue and Moir were better, but the program was still sloppy around the edges. They should perform much better by the GPF and certainly for Canadian Nats. For me, this program makes them have that more European/Russian look on the ice. Big strong movements, dramatic lifts. Its a different feel for them...it's a great program, i just don't love it as much as I thought I would...maybe if once they skate it clean.

I was thinking about how its kind of unfair to the students that Igor left....it seems aparent that they are all suffering in to some extent from the lack of technical expertise on the coaching staff now. Because the Shibs and Meryl and Charlie are all students at the U of Michigan, I don't think they will change coaches. If Marlie lose again at worlds they may but their education on hold until after Sochi and move for a change of coach, but then again, changing coaches the summer before an olympic year sounds like a gamble as well. Virtue and Moir don't really have ties to staying with Marina, but they work so well together I don't see them leaving at all. They are Marina's muse.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I think the Shibs have a great FD this year...she has matured so much (in a good way) and if he was healthy I think they would have moved up into podium position with it. the SD is kind of odd....they would have pulled off a traditional polka/waltz very easily, and should have just gone that route instead of trying too hard to be original.

Virtue and Moir were better, but the program was still sloppy around the edges. They should perform much better by the GPF and certainly for Canadian Nats. For me, this program makes them have that more European/Russian look on the ice. Big strong movements, dramatic lifts. Its a different feel for them...it's a great program, i just don't love it as much as I thought I would...maybe if once they skate it clean.

I was thinking about how its kind of unfair to the students that Igor left....it seems aparent that they are all suffering in to some extent from the lack of technical expertise on the coaching staff now. Because the Shibs and Meryl and Charlie are all students at the U of Michigan, I don't think they will change coaches. If Marlie lose again at worlds they may but their education on hold until after Sochi and move for a change of coach, but then again, changing coaches the summer before an olympic year sounds like a gamble as well. Virtue and Moir don't really have ties to staying with Marina, but they work so well together I don't see them leaving at all. They are Marina's muse.
    I mostly agree. Davis and White are pretty much screwed at this point. And they will not beat VM in Canada with that ugly FD Marina gave them.

Custom Title
    V/M practice

They aborted the candlestick lift and the rotational lift afterwards looks like it was impeded by I/K (who apparently were quite aggressive during practices, according to one reporter over at FSU).

re: Igor - isn't he still in Michigan? Would D/W or the Shibs really have to upend their education to work with him?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    V/M practice

They aborted the candlestick lift and the rotational lift afterwards looks like it was impeded by I/K (who apparently were quite aggressive during practices, according to one reporter over at FSU).

re: Igor - isn't he still in Michigan? Would D/W or the Shibs really have to upend their education to work with him?
    Yes he is still in Michigan. And I believe that Evan Bates (who went with Igor) is a student at U of M as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icewave View Post
    C/l and I/k were less than a point apart at worlds. It could be anything that switches the order this season or keeps it the way it was. B/s needs to beat p/b to show improvement and have the opportunity at euros or gpf. Just like I/k needs to be ahead of c/l b/s needs to beat p/b not just w/p but b/s also needs to show ability to beat w/p In a short dance and w/p can fix their FD and that could leave b/s behind w/p.

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post

D/W and Shibs could easily move to Igor if they want. He's not that far from Canton and they've worked with him for years, so it wouldn't be a huge shock. In fact, since they are keeping in touch with him anyway, they could all easily be planning their Olympic programs with him as we speak.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by all that View Post
    D/W and Shibs could easily move to Igor if they want. He's not that far from Canton at all, and they've worked with him for years, so it wouldn't be a huge shock. In fact, since they are keeping in touch with him anyway, they could all easily be planning their Olympic programs with him as we speak.
    What exactly do you mean they are "keeping in touch?" Are they still going to him for some aspect of their programs? Or do you mean on a more social/friendly setting?

Custom Title
    Igor mentioned that Meryl emails him, congratulations on the success of his skaters etc, but it is social/friendly (as far as we know).

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast