2012 Cup of Russia Free Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of Russia Free Dance

missysays

On the Ice
Going back to the Shibs for a moment, today's FD was beautiful- a real work of art in the making. But all the beautifully constructed programs in the world won't help if they aren't healthy. I hope Alex can heal or get better as the case may be. Tough break for them today.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Going back to the Shibs for a moment, today's FD was beautiful- a real work of art in the making. But all the beautifully constructed programs in the world won't help if they aren't healthy. I hope Alex can heal or get better as the case may be. Tough break for them today.

This. Do we know yet what happened with Alex?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
V/M -- Levels are OK , but the +GOE seems quite low from them. I'm used to seeing more +2 and +3.
I/K + Z/G had the same BV as V/M, but obviously they did not score as well in +GOE or PCS.
S/Z - Lower levels, but solid +GOE.
Shibs -- They had the lowest BV out of everyone. Levels were low (half the elements were level 2, one level three and level 3, but OK +GOE. They really liked the spin (I did too) -- one judge gave it a +3 despite it being level 2 and they got +1 and +2 from the rest. Surprised they didn't get a deduction for stopping...
M/K --- got a deduction for a costume failure?!

blackswanphoto

On the Ice

Problem is they dig such a deep hole for themselves with the awful SD. Finishing 4th at a grand prix event is really bad for their reputation. I really do not see them making the World team this year. The U.S team that was at Skate Canada and Chock and Bates have better material in my opinion.

missysays

On the Ice
Looking at the two young Russian teams today, I have a slight preference for S/Z. I think they are one of the first Russian teams that I've seen for a long time that I feel they are technically very capable skaters with natural balance and stability over their blades.

With I/K (even though they're faster this year) and B/S (even thought they're greatly improved), their intrinsic skating ability always has me on edge waiting for a wobble or mis-step. S/Z naturally are more able as they move over the ice. They just need to improve their posture and the synergy between the two of them. Victoria is beautiful- the gorgeous cat eyes on her. She comes across as dynamic and confident without too much overt arrogance.

beabstress

On the Ice
Hmm. I/K's PCS are all over the board, from 6.50 to 9.25. Hmm. HMM!

Kudos for trying to stand out by doing a dance that's very different from what others are doing--but I think "Ghost" is a mess. Step sequences on top of dialogue do not work. That t-shirt/dress combo does nothing for the lovely Elena (and as we saw from their Schindler's List FD, she can be stunning in simple costuming). I can get through the dance if I block out the music and focus only on Nikita (for he seems strong in this FD), but that's no way to watch a dance. . . .

ice coverage

Record Breaker
4CC -- due to the high elevation. But I'm not sure if it's the same situation for Alex here.

Alex Shibutani had a viral infection at Four Continents in Colorado Springs. Although the altitude might have been an additional impediment, he had an acute illness there.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

+1 I agree it's looks like a great FD in the making and it's unfortunate that we did not see it at full-strength today. I hope we find out what happened with Alex....he seems to have dealt with so much in the last year. :(

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
S/Z really talented, they only have one problem to solve move away from Kustarova/Aleexa and they could be Russian No.3 next season

Sinitsina is giving me flashbacks of Tatiana Navka

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Alex Shibutani had a viral infection at Four Continents in Colorado Springs. Although the altitude might have been an additional impediment, he had an acute illness there.

Oh OK. Thanks for clarifying!

missysays

On the Ice
Yes, it's not good that the Shibs finished 4th here. But I think the season is still salvageable- it will be a scramble and they'll have to pull deep emotionally and mentally to make a shift again. Which is unfortunate since after the year they had last year I think they were hoping for good stable programs early on that they could gain mileage on for the rest of the season.

However, if they got rid of the SD, perhaps go back to Mary Poppins idea, and then have Alex rest up and then just practice between now and Nationals I think they will still be fine. US has 3 teams again right? If so, I think they can still make a spot.

I don't think we'll see any changes between now and NHK though- one of Alex's tweets seemed to indicate that they would just be traveling abroad from Rostelecom Cup and NHK (it probably didn't make sense to go all the way home again).

Hopefully they'll have a chance to rest between now and NHK and not worry about the programs in this short time period.

Mao88

Record Breaker
S/Z really talented, they only have one problem to solve move away from Kustarova/Aleexa and they could be Russian No.3 next season

Sinitsina is giving me flashbacks of Tatiana Navka

Absolutely delighted that they managed to medal in only their 2nd Grand Prix event!

A.H.Black

Final Flight
From a russian news site -
American siblings Alex and Maia Shibutani were hit by an injury when Alex Shibutani hurt his left leg during the performance, leading to a temporary stoppage.

missysays

On the Ice
From a russian news site -

Oh, that's too bad! I hope we'll hear more soon. Tough, tough break! But if he did so, that's amazing that he was able to pull through and finish the program as well as he did. If he's injured wonder what they'll do for NHK which is only a couple of weeks away.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, it's not good that the Shibs finished 4th here. But I think the season is still salvageable- it will be a scramble and they'll have to pull deep emotionally and mentally to make a shift again. Which is unfortunate since after the year they had last year I think they were hoping for good stable programs early on that they could gain mileage on for the rest of the season.

However, if they got rid of the SD, perhaps go back to Mary Poppins idea, and then have Alex rest up and then just practice between now and Nationals I think they will still be fine. US has 3 teams again right? If so, I think they can still make a spot.

I don't think we'll see any changes between now and NHK though- one of Alex's tweets seemed to indicate that they would just be traveling abroad from Rostelecom Cup and NHK (it probably didn't make sense to go all the way home again).

Hopefully they'll have a chance to rest between now and NHK and not worry about the programs in this short time period.

I had a crazy thought earlier. Given that even the commentators had NO IDEA that they were doing this SD instead, perhaps they still have Mary Poppins SD lying around. Given that they had that SD as late as mid-October, it wouldn't be a stretch for them to go back to it for NHK. Maybe they even bought the costumes just in case! That said, I think it's unlikely...usually when they dump an SD it's for good. But on the other hand, this clearly was a last minute change, so maybe they decided to see how judges responded to it, and maybe go back to Mary Poppins for NHK. Again, I know it's a crazy idea.

That said, if anyone can emotionally + mentally get though it, it's the Shibutanis. What I love about those two is that they are there for each other and clearly know how to deal with the other. Of course some of that comes with being brother and sister, but it also comes with being in a partnership for so long. That's why as a fan, I don't count them out ever. The fact they did not give up after he suffered all that pain speaks to their determination and persistence.

ETA: Given his injury, it will be interesting if they will be at NHK. Perhaps it would be best if they went back and focused on Nationals....

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Absolutely delighted that they managed to medal in only their 2nd Grand Prix event!

indeed , great accomplishment already for them but they need to up their game next season if they want to be on the Olympics team
their co rivals Stepanova/Bukin will be seniors next season

katha

On the Ice
V&M's Carmen is really special. Nothing else coming this year out of Canton is even in the same universe choreography-wise IMO. Which is great for the Canadians, but for the other teams there...You clearly saw the difference between this and what the Shibutanis did. Even with the mishaps IMO the Shibutanis have a beautiful FD, much much better than that misguided and IMO potentially harmful for them SD, but it's not in the same class choreography-wise IMO. And neither is D&W's FD, it's good, but it's conceptionally so much weaker than what the Canadians are doing IMO. The German commentators said that V&M seem in a league of their own this year, and I do think the much superior quality of their FD to D&W's FD plays a major part in that perception. Yeah, it's not quite there yet technically, but still...(that's a recurring theme with all three teams: not as sharp in technique and levels).

I/K just need to dump that music cut. Right now. I can appreciate what they were going for...and perhaps with a different music cut (without endless speaking!) and less soapy melodrama it might work, but not as it is now. I'm glad that they got deductions and relatively little (for COR LOL!) points for this, perhaps they'll get the hint.

S/Z are super talented and have programmes stuck somewhere in the 80ies. They'll be wasting their potential if they don't get away from their coaches and/or if their coaches don't rethink their whole strategy about packaging teams.

Last edited: