Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of Russia Free Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    From a russian news site -
    Oh, that's too bad! I hope we'll hear more soon. Tough, tough break! But if he did so, that's amazing that he was able to pull through and finish the program as well as he did. If he's injured wonder what they'll do for NHK which is only a couple of weeks away.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Yes, it's not good that the Shibs finished 4th here. But I think the season is still salvageable- it will be a scramble and they'll have to pull deep emotionally and mentally to make a shift again. Which is unfortunate since after the year they had last year I think they were hoping for good stable programs early on that they could gain mileage on for the rest of the season.

However, if they got rid of the SD, perhaps go back to Mary Poppins idea, and then have Alex rest up and then just practice between now and Nationals I think they will still be fine. US has 3 teams again right? If so, I think they can still make a spot.

I don't think we'll see any changes between now and NHK though- one of Alex's tweets seemed to indicate that they would just be traveling abroad from Rostelecom Cup and NHK (it probably didn't make sense to go all the way home again).

Hopefully they'll have a chance to rest between now and NHK and not worry about the programs in this short time period.
    I had a crazy thought earlier. Given that even the commentators had NO IDEA that they were doing this SD instead, perhaps they still have Mary Poppins SD lying around. Given that they had that SD as late as mid-October, it wouldn't be a stretch for them to go back to it for NHK. Maybe they even bought the costumes just in case! That said, I think it's unlikely...usually when they dump an SD it's for good. But on the other hand, this clearly was a last minute change, so maybe they decided to see how judges responded to it, and maybe go back to Mary Poppins for NHK. Again, I know it's a crazy idea.

That said, if anyone can emotionally + mentally get though it, it's the Shibutanis. What I love about those two is that they are there for each other and clearly know how to deal with the other. Of course some of that comes with being brother and sister, but it also comes with being in a partnership for so long. That's why as a fan, I don't count them out ever. The fact they did not give up after he suffered all that pain speaks to their determination and persistence.

ETA: Given his injury, it will be interesting if they will be at NHK. Perhaps it would be best if they went back and focused on Nationals....

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    From a russian news site -
    Poor Alex. I hope he'll be fine!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Absolutely delighted that they managed to medal in only their 2nd Grand Prix event!
    indeed , great accomplishment already for them but they need to up their game next season if they want to be on the Olympics team
    their co rivals Stepanova/Bukin will be seniors next season

Medalist
    V&M's Carmen is really special. Nothing else coming this year out of Canton is even in the same universe choreography-wise IMO. Which is great for the Canadians, but for the other teams there...You clearly saw the difference between this and what the Shibutanis did. Even with the mishaps IMO the Shibutanis have a beautiful FD, much much better than that misguided and IMO potentially harmful for them SD, but it's not in the same class choreography-wise IMO. And neither is D&W's FD, it's good, but it's conceptionally so much weaker than what the Canadians are doing IMO. The German commentators said that V&M seem in a league of their own this year, and I do think the much superior quality of their FD to D&W's FD plays a major part in that perception. Yeah, it's not quite there yet technically, but still...(that's a recurring theme with all three teams: not as sharp in technique and levels).

I/K just need to dump that music cut. Right now. I can appreciate what they were going for...and perhaps with a different music cut (without endless speaking!) and less soapy melodrama it might work, but not as it is now. I'm glad that they got deductions and relatively little (for COR LOL!) points for this, perhaps they'll get the hint.

S/Z are super talented and have programmes stuck somewhere in the 80ies. They'll be wasting their potential if they don't get away from their coaches and/or if their coaches don't rethink their whole strategy about packaging teams.
    Last edited by katha; 11-10-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Custom Title
    It's a shame the Shibutani's debut started like this. I'm still perplexed by their SD music, but I love nothing more than being proven wrong when I think an idea isn't a great one.
    My feed was so choppy so it was really hard for me to watch their FD, but Maia's hands were absolute perfection. Such a weird thing to note, I know, but I thought she looked pretty magical out there. I really hope they can grow from this experience as they get to NHK, and that Alex is able to make a full recovery before competition!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    It's a shame the Shibutani's debut started like this. I'm still perplexed by their SD music, but I love nothing more than being proven wrong when I think an idea isn't a great one.
    My feed was so choppy so it was really hard for me to watch their FD, but Maia's hands were absolute perfection. Such a weird thing to note, I know, but I thought she looked pretty magical out there. I really hope they can grow from this experience as they get to NHK, and that Alex is able to make a full recovery before competition!
    Actually, you should watch the SD again --- Maia's arms movements there (Alex's too) is quite interesting. I am 50/50 on the SD, but I too hope I could be proven wrong because after seeing it a few times, I could see some diamonds in the rough in that program -- namely their step sequence, faces (as noted by IP) and the arm movements....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    That was not a Tango from Victoria and Ruslan - it was a bunch of random movements with tango music in the background. I hope they leave Kustarova soon.
    I agree. Throughout their skate, i kept thinking, where are the tango steps??
    They are good skaters, they so much deserve a better choreographer.

I love the Shibs and was amazed at how well they skated after the break, if Alex is injured. Maia is really quite a lovely dancer. Hope they can recoup for NHK.

On another note, what was up with Elena's "costume"? It looks like something you would wear for the Saturday housecleaning.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    I hope Alex is alright. Watching it I was so scared like at 4CC last season. My heart dropped. But I am so looking forward to NHK Trophy, so I hope he has plenty of time to rest and treat his injury. Knowing Maia and Alex, they won't let this setback bring them down at all...praying for them~

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    !
    I think it is a very bad idea. I even recognized some of Isabelle and Paul moves in their choreography. This choice won't do them any favor with the judges I think.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    I agree. Throughout their skate, i kept thinking, where are the tango steps??
    They are good skaters, they so much deserve a better choreographer.
    The British Eurosport felt that they would benefit from skating to music/style that was more suited to their youth. I don't get why Kursova's teams tries to make her teams look so old! I didn't even realize that Bobrova was actually nearly a decade younger than me, because her programs made her much older looking.

Custom Title
    One judge gave I/k a lot of sixes and one judge was a lot of sevens with most judges being all eights or some nines in pcs so they have to worry if it was not nationalist judging the sixes could grow at euros or just outside russia

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katha View Post
    V&M's Carmen is really special. Nothing else coming this year out of Canton is even in the same universe choreography-wise IMO. Which is great for the Canadians, but for the other teams there...You clearly saw the difference between this and what the Shibutanis did. Even with the mishaps IMO the Shibutanis have a beautiful FD, much much better than that misguided and IMO potentially harmful for them SD, but it's not in the same class choreography-wise IMO. And neither is D&W's FD, it's good, but it's conceptionally so much weaker than what the Canadians are doing IMO. The German commentators said that V&M seem in a league of their own this year, and I do think the much superior quality of their FD to D&W's FD plays a major part in that perception. Yeah, it's not quite there yet technically, but still...(that's a recurring theme with all three teams: not as sharp in technique and levels).

I/K just need to dump that music cut. Right now. I can appreciate what they were going for...and perhaps with a different music cut (without endless speaking!) and less soapy melodrama it might work, but not as it is now. I'm glad that they got deductions and relatively little (for COR LOL!) points for this, perhaps they'll get the hint.
    I agree with you that Carmen is a really special FD but I don't agree that the Shibs FD isn't just as special- I think we just didn't get a chance to see it fully realized. It's not as dramatic and in your face for sure but its beauty (from what I could see) was in its fine details and elegant complexity. Of the 3 FDs from Canton, I like Meryl and Charlie's the least. (Which hurts me to say since I like them the best.)

I'm not sure I believe though that V/M are in a league all their own- I think they had a FD that is a legend in the making but their SD is only so-so for me. I think D/W's SD is the epitome of the polka/waltz concept- it's only unfortunate that their FD isn't on par with it or they would be difficult to beat.

As for I/K, unfortunately, I think their scores at Rostelecom Cup won't discourage them at all- I think they'll think they have a really great FD score and continue on with their FD. They got some deductions but not enough- it was still a really good score- even above W/P's FD scores so far this season if I'm not mistaken.

I adore V/M Carmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolute unusual, and innovative!!!

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast