2012 Cup of Russia Free Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of Russia Free Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I, too, am 50/50 on the SD. I quite like the program. However, I don't see it as an effective vehicle for a Short Dance that includes a Yankee Polka.

The lullaby polka part, definitely does not work. But that could be a matter of changing the cuts...
Part of me is hoping they have Mary Poppins costumes in their luggage...

missysays

On the Ice
When did Maia turn into such a beauty?!

I really love this program!!

Maia's wonderful! She looked gorgeous. Her dress was also beautiful- when they showed the closeup of her sleeve you could really see the detail of the floral design. Hope they have many more great competitive outings for this FD this season.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I/K: :disapp::confused::no: I still don't understand it, but the lyrics in the middle are the worst thing!! And it looks like an EX program, really!

IA - nice skaters, ghastly music - some kind of Broadway version of Ghost ...

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I LOVE this program (I obviously mean V/M)! It's really something NEW! Low score, but I expected it: the judges don't like this program, it's strange, you either hate or love it, I'm surely in the second group :biggrin: All I can say about I/K score: :disapp:, but, guys, think that we are in Russia: they gave 72 to V/T with three falls!!

Yes, loved V/M program as did the Russian audience but because it's so incredibly difficult & risky, it will take time to smooth things out. I heard the Canadian commentator Tracy Wilson say that they (the judges) often don't know what to do with V/M material or how to judge it properly. It should have received a 106. But by Worlds it will be a 112+.

I like I&K the best. But there is no denying that Virtue and Moir are way out ahead of everybody else.

rain

Record Breaker
Okay, I quite like I/K's program — as in the movement and performance and theme. I hated the dialogue. I found it terribly distracting. When the talking started I found myself forgetting to watch I/K because I was trying to follow the scene on the soundtrack. Obviously that's a problem for a dance.

I like the Shibutanis' new FD. Much more memorable than last year. Will be interesting to see it later in the season.

Virtue and Moir's FD is looking better and better. I adore this program. Still some places where you can see it needs miles to smooth it out, which I actually like, because it means they're really pushing themselves and the scores will only grow. One part I think looked particularly rough still was the final lift where she's standing on his thighs...getting in and out of it is not quick and smooth enough yet. But I thought the lift where she flips up to sit on his shoulders then down already looked much improved from Skate Canada. I'm just so excited about this program.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
I heard the Canadian commentator Tracy Wilson say that they (the judges) often don't know what to do with V/M material or how to judge it properly.

:rolleye:

V/M have scored 112 points in a FD before,they're Olympic and two time world champions, the judges know exactly what to do with their programs. Perhaps the judges just weren't as impressed with it as everyone else seems to be.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
:rolleye:

V/M have scored 112 points in a FD before,they're Olympic and two time world champions, the judges know exactly what to do with their programs. Perhaps the judges just weren't as impressed with it as everyone else seems to be.

You see, I think the judges are impressed - those PCS are quite strong. But the program isn't at the "lets throw +3s at it" stage yet. I think Tracy is just an uber and/or politicking (though I'm a uber too, so grain of salt time)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It was a strained quad muscle.

Right. I wrote that before we found out what happened. :)

The text with this Universal Sports video -- posted by Golden411 at the Shibs fan thread, pointed out that Alex "aggravated an old leg injury," so I guess I was half right...

hitchem

Rinkside
You see, I think the judges are impressed - those PCS are quite strong. But the program isn't at the "lets throw +3s at it" stage yet. I think Tracy is just an uber and/or politicking (though I'm a uber too, so grain of salt time)

I agree. Their PCS is where it should be and judges do seem to like it. Tracy's comment is just an example of national politicking -- V/M's program is so beyond every other team's that judges don't know what to do with it. Actually, they do because V/M is already receiving sky high PCS.

elif

Medalist
When I read this thread I expected better FD from Shibutani's. I always liked their lifts but now they are looking ordinary. Look at V&M's lifts. Going with music and character of the dance. For me Shibutani's dance will not challange P&B, W/P, B&S and C&L.

Sorry for my english ;)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, loved V/M program as did the Russian audience but because it's so incredibly difficult & risky, it will take time to smooth things out. I heard the Canadian commentator Tracy Wilson say that they (the judges) often don't know what to do with V/M material or how to judge it properly. It should have received a 106. But by Worlds it will be a 112+.
I hope!! But I don't think the judges underscored them, there were little mistakes, and the speed, the unison, the passion could be better... This program can grow, it has room to become the best Carmen on ice ever, it deserved 103, I understand it! The fact that it's so difficult and risky makes it so difficult to perform it well... It's just their second competition this season, let's wait and the 110s will come!

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I actually do not think the Shibs free dance is so great like many are saying. It is definitely much better than that dreadful SD but to me its just ok, not great. Also I think a brother and sister team, specifically being so young, skating to 'Memoirs of a Geisha' is a bit creepy. Another poor choice in my opinion. The Shibs really do need to get away from Marina. If they stay in Canton they are going to keep getting what they deserve and the judges are punishing them accordingly.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
It was kind of an weird competition. Strange programs, unexpected injury problem with the Shibs.

I like the concept and choreography of V/M's Carmen. It's weird and dark, but so innovative. I love the creativity. I love that they're getting out of their winsome, romantic comfort zone. However, after seeing it twice, my opinion is this program is straining the limit of V/M's technical abilities. It's not smooth, it's not fast. Those lifts are amazing--but you can feel the difficulty and challenge of getting in and out of them. I thought their whole performance, both here and at SC, was fascinating but ragged. Rough around the edges. In a way this isn't surprising, V/M have had a slow start to their season the last few years, so maybe they will have it polished for Worlds. And, for another opinion on the program, I had my husband watch it with me last night. He didn't care for it too much--he thought it went a bit too far and and was "vulgar" (with the thigh-grabbing, etc.).

I/K's Ghost is terrible; they were totally overscored. I don't mind the costumes or the concept of a Ghost program, but the dialogue is terrible, the whole dance didn't look particularly difficult, and Elena falls on footwork. I find this team just hugely overrated, they have yet to do a single program that I find impressive. Nikita is a good dancer and should be featured more; I really have strong doubts about Elena's basic skating abilities. Yes she is hot, but so what. This is not a beauty contest, or it shouldn't be, anyway. They got homer scores but I don't think this dance is going to hold up as the season goes on. When they're up against more lateral competition (B/S, W/P, P/B), I think they will sink below those teams (or I hope so anyway). (The Shibs don't really count as lateral here because of the bizarre injury problem.)

Sinitsina/Zhiganshin are okay, I'm not as excited about them as others seem to be. Sinitsina is definitely a good performer, but in that typical Russian diva mode, which I find rather boring at this point. The program is also entirely typical, there is not one innovative thing about it. Tanith commented on Universal Sports that there was a lot of sloppiness in their skating, and I agree with this.

I am heartbroken for the Shibs, what a disastrous competition for them. I hope they can recover by NHK but if not, perhaps it would be better to withdraw and focus on Nationals as Mrs. P said. Their spot on the World team is looking more vulnerable than I would have thought possible. And their world standing just took another big hit. I like the Geisha free dance and think it might be really good if they could perform it well, but the low levels they received in both dances really worry me.

Now that I've seen all programs from the Zoueva group, I actually feel a bit angry. It seems clear that once again, V/M got Zoueva's best effort by far. Meryl & Charlie and the Shibs got the leftovers, creatively. There have been rumors for so long that Marina favors V/M, and I am now more inclined than ever to believe it. I think D/W and the Shibs should at least give some serious consideration to another coach next season.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I/K's Ghost is terrible; they were totally overscored. I don't mind the costumes or the concept of a Ghost program, but the dialogue is terrible, the whole dance didn't look particularly difficult, and Elena falls on footwork. I find this team just hugely overrated, they have yet to do a single program that I find impressive. Nikita is a good dancer and should be featured more; I really have strong doubts about Elena's basic skating abilities. Yes she is hot, but so what. This is not a beauty contest, or it shouldn't be, anyway. They got homer scores but I don't think this dance is going to hold up as the season goes on. When they're up against more lateral competition (B/S, W/P, P/B), I think they will sink below those teams (or I hope so anyway). (The Shibs don't really count as lateral here because of the bizarre injury problem.)

I agree basically but Elena didn't fall on steps(the fall was not on an element so no major disaster here). I also think she is as good as he is, I don't have a problem with Elena's skating abilities.