Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 87

Thread: Dream podiums for worlds?

  1. #46
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Men
    1. Takahiko Kozuka
    2. Javier Fernandez
    3. Jeremy Abbott

    Ladies
    1. Ashley Wagner or Akiko Suzuki
    2. Ashley Wagner of Akiko Suzuki
    3. Mao Asada

    Pairs
    1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    2. Kavaguti/Smirnov
    3. Duhamel/Radford

    Dance
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Weaver/Poje
    3. Bobrova/Soloviev
    I was going to post my picks... then I saw this and realized Imaginary already did the typing for me 100% ITA

  2. #47
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,592
    I had to count. 22 posters are dreaming of javier on the podium. He is one loved, respected skater. I believe we will see it. If Chan is great Chan and Dai is fabulous Dai, well, 1,2 but Hanyu is young and runs out of steam.
    I hope someone emails javier if he has an international forum and tells him we -many-dream him onto the podium. I feel he is so deserving. I would love an upset and see orser have a male who is world champion. That would be fun. Ah, the men are so wonderful right now, it is hard to dream for one and not the other. It must be very interesting watching Orser train Javi and Hanyu. Javi is still with Orser yes? At least I thought so. Hope I'm not wrong.

    If so Orser could have two students on the podium if Chan and Dai bomb. I hope they don't. I love it when it is close, actually, but I loved Brian as an amateur. It was heartbreaking to watch him win silver the second time. I just see a bit of Orser in javier's style. Best to all and especially Javi who is a bit of an underdog despite great skating.

  3. #48
    Custom Title LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,229
    I think Javier is an entertainer and a showman. Also, year by year, he distinctly and visibly improves - and that is always fun and encouraging to see. 22 posters, eh? Let's see if our wishing has any power.

    Go, Javi!

  4. #49
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I had to count. 22 posters are dreaming of javier on the podium. He is one loved, respected skater. I believe we will see it. If Chan is great Chan and Dai is fabulous Dai, well, 1,2 but Hanyu is young and runs out of steam.
    I mainly think it would be good for the development of Spanish skating, and it's important for the future of skating to have the sport succeed in more countries. But I'm actually not that big a fan of Javier's - he's a good entertainer with some very good jumps, but I find him a bit overrated at the moment. IMO he has some faults that wouldn't be so quickly overlooked by fans (or even the judges) if he were one of the other European skaters.

    OTOH, he was undermarked for years, so I guess he was due for some love from the judges.

    I don't usually state my dream podium or predictions for men's events. It is a long-standing policy of mine

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    139
    Fernandez is one of the most overscored skaters now. Just because he beat Patrick once doesn’t mean he’s a consistent skater. Fernandez hasn’t even gotten TES of 87 or above in his whole life, while other top skaters like Patrick and Yuzru have scored over 90 more than once this year. Plus, unlike other top skaters, this Fernandez almost has no skating skills at all and his posture is one of the worst. His SP is one of the most boring and empty programs of the season, and there’s neither showmanship nor entertainment in that program. Why was Fernandez’ PCS higher than Oda’s at SC? Fernandez got insane PCS inflation.

  6. #51
    Custom Title LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,229
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Fernandez is one of the most overscored skaters now. Just because he beat Patrick once doesn’t mean he’s a consistent skater. Fernandez hasn’t even gotten TES of 87 or above in his whole life, while other top skaters like Patrick and Yuzru have scored over 90 more than once this year. Plus, unlike other top skaters, this Fernandez almost has no skating skills at all and his posture is one of the worst. His SP is one of the most boring and empty programs of the season, and there’s neither showmanship nor entertainment in that program. Why was Fernandez’ PCS higher than Oda’s at SC? Fernandez got insane PCS inflation.
    Goodness.... But at least you do consider him worthy of your vitriol... ? (raises eyebrows questioningly)

    As for the rest... (shrugs) I'll just continue to enjoy him nonetheless...

  7. #52
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Goodness.... But at least you do consider him worthy of your vitriol... ? (raises eyebrows questioningly)

    As for the rest... (shrugs) I'll just continue to enjoy him nonetheless...
    No skater is worth such vitriol! I like Javier; I agree that Oda should have not been below him in PCS, but that's a matter of the judges not UNDERSCORING Oda, not as much that Javier was overscored.

    I think he has an ambitious layout for his FS if done will be absolutely incredible! Has anyone ever done 3 quads in one FS?

  8. #53
    Custom Title LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    No skater is worth such vitriol! I like Javier; I agree that Oda should have not been below him in PCS, but that's a matter of the judges not UNDERSCORING Oda, not as much that Javier was overscored.

    I think he has an ambitious layout for his FS if done will be absolutely incredible! Has anyone ever done 3 quads in one FS?
    I think so - Brian has, at least... Ugh, my shoddy memory! In some Grand Prix event in 2006 or something? I believe others have too, but cannot recall...

    ETA: Found Brian's:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1BvxgTdag8
    Last edited by LRK; 11-16-2012 at 02:11 PM.

  9. #54
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think he has an ambitious layout for his FS if done will be absolutely incredible! Has anyone ever done 3 quads in one FS?
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I think so - Brian has, at least... Ugh, my shoddy memory! In some Grand Prix event in 2006 or something? I believe others have too, but cannot recall...
    Brian Joubert at 2006 CoR; Min Zhang, Timothy Goebel and Takeshi Honda, all under 6.0.

  10. #55
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Brian Joubert at 2006 CoR; Min Zhang, Timothy Goebel and Takeshi Honda, all under 6.0.
    Thanks! But noone under COP, eh? Well....this could be very interesting!

  11. #56
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Thanks! But noone under COP, eh? Well....this could be very interesting!
    No, Joubert did do it under CoP, and scored over 160 at a time when such scores were quite unusual. He did the solo 4T after the halfway mark!

    The other three did it under 6.0.

  12. #57
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    No, Joubert did do it under CoP, and scored over 160 at a time when such scores were quite unusual. He did the solo 4T after the halfway mark!

    The other three did it under 6.0.
    Oh thanks for the clarification! Okay great....well here's hoping Javier is the second.

  13. #58
    Custom Title Cherryy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    258
    Ladies
    1. Mao Asada
    2. Caroline Zhang
    3/4. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
    3/4. Yuna Kim
    5. Ashley Wagner
    6. Li Zijun
    7. Polina Korobeynikova

  14. #59
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Goodness.... But at least you do consider him worthy of your vitriol... ? (raises eyebrows questioningly)

    As for the rest... (shrugs) I'll just continue to enjoy him nonetheless...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    No skater is worth such vitriol! I like Javier; I agree that Oda should have not been below him in PCS, but that's a matter of the judges not UNDERSCORING Oda, not as much that Javier was overscored.
    You can enjoy any skater. That’s your freedom. I’m not going to argue on who likes which skater and why. BUT there are rules in figure skating that judges should follow, like no skater with really poor skating skills a la Fernandez should ever receive PCS of 39 and over 80. Yes, Oda was underscored at SC, but that was not the only time Fernandez was overscored. In fact, Fernandez has been consistently overscored for two seasons now. His PCS should not be close to 39 and 80, with or without Oda competing. Skating skills are skills after all. If a skater doesn’t have those skills then he should not receive high PCS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think he has an ambitious layout for his FS if done will be absolutely incredible! Has anyone ever done 3 quads in one FS?
    Is Fernandez’ layout really that ambitious? Some people critized Patrick for not macho enough because he’s not repeating 3a. But in fact Patrick is repeating 4t and 3lz, unlike Fernandez who’s repeating 4t and 3s. Why doesn’t he repeat 3a, 3lz, 3f, or even 3lo? Does that mean Fernandez can only do toe loop and salchow jumps but is not good with axel, lutz, flip, and loop?

    If Fernandez is repeating 4t and 3a, then I’d say he’s the most ambitious skater. But repeating 3s? I think that’s a very strange layout.

  15. #60
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    You can enjoy any skater. That’s your freedom. I’m not going to argue on who likes which skater and why. BUT there are rules in figure skating that judges should follow, like no skater with really poor skating skills a la Fernandez should ever receive PCS of 39 and over 80. Yes, Oda was underscored at SC, but that was not the only time Fernandez was overscored. In fact, Fernandez has been consistently overscored for two seasons now. His PCS should not be close to 39 and 80, with or without Oda competing. Skating skills are skills after all. If a skater doesn’t have those skills then he should not receive high PCS.


    Is Fernandez’ layout really that ambitious? Some people critized Patrick for not macho enough because he’s not repeating 3a. But in fact Patrick is repeating 4t and 3lz, unlike Fernandez who’s repeating 4t and 3s. Why doesn’t he repeat 3a, 3lz, 3f, or even 3lo? Does that mean Fernandez can only do toe loop and salchow jumps but is not good with axel, lutz, flip, and loop?

    If Fernandez is repeating 4t and 3a, then I’d say he’s the most ambitious skater. But repeating 3s? I think that’s a very strange layout.
    Regardless of what jump he's repeating, he's still doing three quads -- that's pretty incredible considering that some skaters can't even do one. And the other aspect of the program layout is that he does a quad combo in the second half of the program. Very few, if any, men are planning such a maneuver. And I suppose he could up that program by repeating 3A instead, but I don't think it takes away from the fact that it is a point-getting layout.

    YMMV but I've seen skaters with way worse SS than Javier and yes perhaps he could score a few points fewer, but I'm not losing sleep over it considering that other skaters get much more over scored in this arena.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •