Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: NRW Trophy 2012. Dortmund, December 5th-9th 2012.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinary person View Post
    My apoligies, i meant 3A/3T/1lo, now i feel embarrassed.
    Kim does not do a 3A

The intention was definitely a 2A+2T+2R combination. Kim is well known for performing that particular combination - check out the protocols from the Free Program at the 2010 Olympics

Kim Yu-Na - Free Skate

Medal Ceremony
    Last edited by Mao88; 12-09-2012 at 12:27 PM.

It makes me feel a little uncomfortable that she got a 200+ here for two slightly uninspired skates. I mean, I get it; she did say she was at NRW mainly to focus on getting enough points and she would work on expressiveness later AND she's skating rather well for someone who has been on hiatus for a year, but it's still a little weird.

Am I the only one who thinks her SP dress doesn't match the suspenseful 60s vampire music either?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    It makes me feel a little uncomfortable that she got a 200+ here for two slightly uninspired skates. I mean, I get it; she did say she was at NRW mainly to focus on getting enough points and she would work on expressiveness later AND she's skating rather well for someone who has been on hiatus for a year, but it's still a little weird.

Am I the only one who thinks her SP dress doesn't match the suspenseful 60s vampire music either?
    This is because she's not supposed to be a vampire. She is portraying someone who has been bitten by one. Following vampire lore, this would be a young, sometimes virginal, woman. That she is dressed in a lighter color makes sense in this context.

Custom Title
    Both her dresses, I thought, are ok's than dramatic, while still beautiful (and not tacky, thank god!).
    As for the SP dress, Yuna mentioned several times that she's the bitten, not the biter I find how the red rhinestones were laid out was quite unique and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by babyalligator View Post
    This is because she's not supposed to be a vampire. She is portraying someone who has been bitten by one. Following vampire lore, this would be a young, sometimes virginal, woman. That she is dressed in a lighter color makes sense in this context.
    I understood that part (the red decorative "line" through her collarbones pretty much gave that away), but I honestly still don't think it matches the music. I get it, she's portraying a character; one that has been bitten by the being that the music is actually for ... but there's just still something off about it.

Medalist
    I like her sp better than her lp.

Custom Title
    I get it, she's portraying a character... but there's just still something off about it.
    I get what you're saying too, lol. However, I always appreciate how Yuna's costumes are safe and not tacky. (There's a reason for criticizing ugly couture/intricate clothes as 'looking like figure skating costumes'.)

Custom Title
    I understood that part (the red decorative "line" through her collarbones pretty much gave that away), but I honestly still don't think it matches the music. I get it, she's portraying a character; one that has been bitten by the being that the music is actually for ... but there's just still something off about it.
    don't worry. you're not alone with that sentiment. i actually wish they didn't put that red border on there. lol.

Custom Title
    Just took a look at Kim's FS video. Hmmm. First off, I don't like the overall music selection or the specific cuts at all. Les Miz seems like going backwards for her as a vehicle to show off her artistic capabilities and maturity. Second, I don't like the construction of the program and choreography. And I particularly loathe those awful illusion dips in the step sequences (nor do I like any them in any other skater's program). Third, as to her performance: I'll give her a free pass on stamina issues which were apparent towards the end--for a first time out, the adjective that comes to mind on this program was "competent." But not a Wow! and I think largely because she doesn't have her performance face on. The whole program was lifelessly skated, actually, it was a downer and particularly since we know what she is capable of. Her jumps are quite good as usual, and I don't think the fall on the 2T or the popped combo was a big deal or a harbinger of doom--silly mistakes which I'm sure she'll fix on the next run of this in competition. Her spins and other elements definitely need a lot more work. Summary: No way was this a 200-point skate, despite what the judges seem to think. I felt like I sat down to a meal where the appetizer SP was reasonably yummy but the main entree FS was bland and left me still hungry.

Custom Title
    Did anybody else think that Yuna and her team seemed surprised by the score when it was announced?
    To me, it seemed that they were expecting lower scores.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Just took a look at Kim's FS video. Hmmm. First off, I don't like the overall music selection or the specific cuts at all. Les Miz seems like going backwards for her as a vehicle to show off her artistic capabilities and maturity. Second, I don't like the construction of the program and choreography. And I particularly loathe those awful illusion dips in the step sequences (nor do I like any them in any other skater's program). Third, as to her performance: I'll give her a free pass on stamina issues which were apparent towards the end--for a first time out, the adjective that comes to mind on this program was "competent." But not a Wow! and I think largely because she doesn't have her performance face on. The whole program was lifelessly skated, actually, it was a downer and particularly since we know what she is capable of. Her jumps are quite good as usual, and I don't think the fall on the 2T or the popped combo was a big deal or a harbinger of doom--silly mistakes which I'm sure she'll fix on the next run of this in competition. Her spins and other elements definitely need a lot more work. Summary: No way was this a 200-point skate, despite what the judges seem to think. I felt like I sat down to a meal where the appetizer SP was reasonably yummy but the main entree FS was bland and left me still hungry.
    I think you forgot to read her interview before this competition.
    She explained in the interview that she's competing in NRW trophy to get the minimum TES score, not to artistically prove herself. Hence why you see some awkwardness in her skating, and lack of true interpretation. I also felt a bit odd when she was skating, I felt like she wasn't giving in everything she had, not because she couldn't

Quote Originally Posted by gimble View Post
    Did anybody else think that Yuna and her team seemed surprised by the score when it was announced?
    If you popped three jumps and fell on another, wouldn't you be expecting lower scores? Yuna's good, but I'd like to think she doesn't have a big ego.

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesky85 View Post
    How come Mae is not doing 2A-3T anymore in her FS??
    She DID and still does 2A+3T in her FS (as I wrote), though it was called 2A+3< here.

If you meant Yuna Kim, the new rules (max two 2A in FS) makes that layout disavantageous, since she doesn't attempt 3Lo.

On the Ice
    Actually in her interview she said that since it was her first competition after a long break(20 months!) she wasn't really expecting high scores and that she just focused on TES score to qualify.
    After making mistakes it's even hard to anticipate good marks but there you go.
    And of course she has a humble personality.

If you popped three jumps and fell on another, wouldn't you be expecting lower scores? Yuna's good, but I'd like to think she doesn't have a big ego.
    She doesn't.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "I was surprised about the high scores," she said. "I did not expect that, because I made mistakes and could not show everything I can do.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast