[QUOTE=Skater Boy;678686]
Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
IMO Kwan didn't know when to call it quits. She was too injured to compete at '06 Nationals (and had been injured for quite some time already at that point) yet she refused to step back and allow another American skater, Sarah Hughes, to be a part of the opening ceremony in Torino, have the thrill of walking behind the flag (sure Sarah eventually got to Torino to compete but it would have been nice if she'd had the whole experience). Michelle had already competed in two Olympics, and yes, we were lucky to see several beautiful performances for the next couple of years. But even after she couldn't compete at Nationals she still wouldn't face reality that her body was "done". I've always been a fan of MK but that decision of hers really bothered me.

ITA
I'm so sorry but I have to agree with you, I LOVE MK's skating but that decision was the worst thing throughout her career: in my opinion, she should have retired after her 2005 FS at Nationals: she couldn't deal with IJS, her body was done, she had won everything except that Olympic title, well, it's not essential in your life if you're one of the greatest skaters ever! Her 4th place at 2005 Worlds should have been a clear signal for her...