Czisny Suffers Another Training Setback | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Czisny Suffers Another Training Setback

R.D.

Record Breaker
Glad to see posters stop treating Czisny as a pwetty pwincess who can do no wrong and begin treating her like the grown woman she is, who is fully aware of and fully responsible for her decisions.

Let's face it. The same skater who, for all intensive purposes, KNEW she was going to skate badly or at least knew she was not in fighting shape to compete at worlds, but went anyway. The price is now being paid, figuratively, by the entire US skating program.

So...although this is not quite the same situation, do I expect her to WD in time for an alternate to be named? Heck no. If she does go and ends up flopping, well- it's her skating career she's playing Russian roulette with...as it stands, there are other US skater(s) willing to forge ahead and lead us on.

ETA: I think she really needs to take time off to rest. I'll stop short of telling her to retire outright, but obviously pushing through is not going to work long-term, and will only make things worse for her.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, I think they read the boards. Last year at Worlds everyone seemed to love Patrick Chan's gala skate to Elegie. And said make it competitive program...well he did, and it is a gorgeous SP. So someone was listening to everyone of us who loved it and suggested it. I agree with posters who speak the truth, but unfortunately get slammed here. I wish Alissa would withdraw to let Christina Gao go, or if not a spot for another American then the new Canadian Starlet as I like to call her. No I don't mean Amelie, but even she would skate better.

Kaetlyn would be wonderful to see again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think if folks felt the skaters all actually read these boards then they should use less venom when they critique the skaters. Why tear someone down? It would work better if folks DID believe they read the board and kept it in mind when composing posts.

Not saying you can't be negative, but there's a way to constructively do so. That's all we ask. :yes:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She is DONE. Problem is that she exhibits no signs of accepting that she is a head case whose body is now too old and too damaged to sustain her through the training she needs to do to be competitive and improve, and be a consistent skater with difficult technique.

I guess a certain part of her problem may be mental. When I watch her jump something just doesn't look right, I don't know if she needs more power or a tighter core on the revolution. She just looks... "frail" is the only word I can think of to describe her jumps. I'm actually surprised when she does skate a clean program because I'm always on the edge of my seat with every single jump from the 2A to the 3Z. So I think her jump technique may be a big part of the problem, not only her mental state.

b-man

Final Flight
IMHO, the decisions that Czizny is making regarding continuing her competitive skating career at her age, with her body issues (hip), her injuries, etc. are delusional.

She is DONE. Problem is that she exhibits no signs of accepting that she is a head case whose body is now too old and too damaged to sustain her through the training she needs to do to be competitive and improve, and be a consistent skater with difficult technique.

Czizny, Flatt, Nagasu and Zhang are all American Ladies Competitors who need to RETIRE from competition, skate to make money to pay their families back something, become independent and leave the sport with dignity.

Czizny has a college degree in languages from the age of 18 - 19 or something, but does not appear to be interested in anything except skating until she embarasses herself REPEATEDLY. Her trying to make a "come back" this year is lame and pitiful.

Less than a year ago Czisny was 2nd at Nats. Do you see her doctors reports, do you watch her in practice everyday? If you don't, your don't know if she is done. Less than a year ago, Zhang was on the podium at 4CC, beating Agnes and Murakami. If Agnes and Murakami could't beat a "done" Zhang at 4CC, should they also have retired? I think Suzuki is older than both, and she is skating better than ever. Is she "done", by your standards?

Oh, I think they read the boards. Last year at Worlds everyone seemed to love Patrick Chan's gala skate to Elegie...

"I like Elegie" and "You should quit now, get a job, and try to pay back the money that your parents threw down the toilet on your so-called skating career" are not exactly comparable, IMHO. ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad to see posters stop treating Czisny as a pwetty pwincess who can do no wrong and begin treating her like the grown woman she is, who is fully aware of and fully responsible for her decisions.

Let's face it. The same skater who, for all intensive purposes, KNEW she was going to skate badly or at least knew she was not in fighting shape to compete at worlds, but went anyway. The price is now being paid, figuratively, by the entire US skating program.

So...although this is not quite the same situation, do I expect her to WD in time for an alternate to be named? Heck no. If she does go and ends up flopping, well- it's her skating career she's playing Russian roulette with...as it stands, there are other US skater(s) willing to forge ahead and lead us on.

ETA: I think she really needs to take time off to rest. I'll stop short of telling her to retire outright, but obviously pushing through is not going to work long-term, and will only make things worse for her.

ITA. Alissa doesn't have to skate at NHK, and a poor skate will be detrimental to her own reputation. If it's important for her to skate at Nationals, then she should conserve herself for that goal. If she puts forth a decent effort there, but doesn't make the World team, she can be sent to 4CC to establish a Seasons Best score for next year's GP.

With an injury such as the one she's suffered, pacing is important. Pushing herself to do too much too soon is bound to cause a setback. Why risk still another one.

I fully expect that if she does withdraw, it will be within 2-3 days of the competition.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Or...she may even make the trip, skate the SP and then WD from the FS, much like Weir did.

I think if folks felt the skaters all actually read these boards then they should use less venom when they critique the skaters. Why tear someone down? It would work better if folks DID believe they read the board and kept it in mind when composing posts.

The skaters know as well as the rest of us about the risks of browsing public forums. People can and will say what's on their mind, whether positive or negative. There are also the extremes (on BOTH sides!), those who will fangirl/fanboy and those who will stop at nothing to give a skater a bad rep.

It's just a bad idea all-around to be lurking around these forums if you're a subject of interest...JMO.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh, I think they read the boards. Last year at Worlds everyone seemed to love Patrick Chan's gala skate to Elegie. And said make it competitive program...well he did, and it is a gorgeous SP. So someone was listening to everyone of us who loved it and suggested it. I agree with posters who speak the truth, but unfortunately get slammed here. I wish Alissa would withdraw to let Christina Gao go, or if not a spot for another American then the new Canadian Starlet as I like to call her. No I don't mean Amelie, but even she would skate better.

LOL, I hate to burst your bubble, but if "everyone" on the boards was suggesting that Chan turn his exhibition program into a competitive program, then he or someone in his circle easily could have had the same idea independently without reading it on GS or another site. Great minds think alike. ;)

Maybe some skaters and/or their associates do read the boards. Just sayin' that the Chan scenario is not solid evidence at all.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My personal posting philosophy is not to say anything I wouldn't say to that skater/coach/poster's face in person. I know its bothersome when people attack me via voicemail, email or Facebook comments (I work in a job where such an opportunity exists), knowing that those people really wouldn't say that to my face.

So I wouldn't like it if someone told me to quit my job w/o knowing my personal situation, so I avoid doing so here.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Mrs. P - as a "fan" I would never tell someone to retire to their face. But I think for the sake of discussion it's not so much bad-mouthing someone as stating almost the obvious. I do wonder who her advisers are though - her coaches? Her family? Her friends? Is it so difficult to see the proverbial writing on the wall? Nationals is in 2 months? Maybe she wants to erase the memory of her performance at US Nats this year....but if she's not in top form it seems high likely that she'll just create more sad memories.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P - as a "fan" I would never tell someone to retire to their face. But I think for the sake of discussion it's not so much bad-mouthing someone as stating almost the obvious. I do wonder who her advisers are though - her coaches? Her family? Her friends? Is it so difficult to see the proverbial writing on the wall? Nationals is in 2 months? Maybe she wants to erase the memory of her performance at US Nats this year....but if she's not in top form it seems high likely that she'll just create more sad memories.

I think it's one thing to speculate whether one has reach their peak -- and perhaps should consider retirement. But there have been armchair coaches/advisers/etc on these boards who act all-knowing when making such comments.

IMO, it's just easier to comment on the skating itself or speculate performance at a future competition -- as RD has done -- rather than make any sweeping statements about one's career decisions. Ultimately, us posters aren't the ones who be be affected by such decisions.

The skaters know as well as the rest of us about the risks of browsing public forums.

That got me to wondering if there is any skater who is so universally liked that he or she would never see a discouraging word on a skating forum. The only one I could think of is maybe Stephane Lambiel.

Edited to add: Then again, his triple Axel was kind of iffy. ;)

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She'll never withdraw because she has no integrity in that vein, and I'm done defending her about this, but I don't much care anymore since Mirai has a spot. I wish Osmond could get one too but they'll never let her have one and Czisny's spot will go to some bizarre unknown if she does through some miracle withdraw.

100% true on all accounts.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I'm sorry to hear that Alissa may not be doing well. I wish her a speedy recovery. Nevertheless, if her health isn't allowing her to compete at the NHK and she and her team know about it, then maybe it's time to assume the withdrawal and let some other skater take that spot.

MasterB

Final Flight
Champions must rise from the ashes (even if its theirs). Some would say that Kwan should have retired after Nagano, then she gave us three more gloriuos years. Some said that she should have retired after Salt Lake, then she gave us those beautiful National programs. By the time Torino arrive there wasn't much of her left. I bow to her for knowing when to call it quits.

These ladies that are being trashed have given us some good times. They must still believe that there is more fight in them, even if its just one more.

Yes, they should not take GP spots if they don't intent on competing but, I cannot judge them fairly if I don't know all the facts. On this board we assume too much.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That got me to wondering if there is any skater who is so universally liked that he or she would never see a discouraging word on a skating forum. The only one I could think of is maybe Stephane Lambiel.

Edited to add: Then again, his triple Axel was kind of iffy. ;)

I do like Lambiel but I do wonder if he deserved higher pcs consistently than Buttle and his programs arguably did not have the impact of a "great" performance though very very good.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Champions must rise from the ashes (even if its theirs). Some would say that Kwan should have retired after Nagano, then she gave us three more gloriuos years. Some said that she should have retired after Salt Lake, then she gave us those beautiful National programs. By the time Torino arrive there wasn't much of her left. I bow to her for knowing when to call it quits.

These ladies that are being trashed have given us some good times. They must still believe that there is more fight in them, even if its just one more.

Yes, they should not take GP spots if they don't intent on competing but, I cannot judge them fairly if I don't know all the facts. On this board we assume too much.
I think most of us love Kwan and her amazing and consistent skates. However, let's be fair her jumps were not extremely big or powerful and she didn't get the big combos. As for her knowing when to quit I disagree her results and inability to manipulate COP was clear by her world placements as well she sort of petered out at the end and sort of just faded - like to the point we have no idea when she really called it quits.