Czisny Suffers Another Training Setback | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Czisny Suffers Another Training Setback

^ Why a backdoor deal? Why not a front door deal? All the Japanese Federation has to say is, "Sure, we'll take Osmond, why not?"

I'm so sorry but I have to agree with you, I LOVE MK's skating but that decision was the worst thing throughout her career: in my opinion, she should have retired after her 2005 FS at Nationals: she couldn't deal with IJS, her body was done, she had won everything except that Olympic title, well, it's not essential in your life if you're one of the greatest skaters ever! Her 4th place at 2005 Worlds should have been a clear signal for her...

That's easy to see in retrospect. At the time, I can't blame her for hoping against hope that maybe lightning might strike one last time.

chuckm said:
Emily Hughes was a lackluster, mediocre skater. She had an air of entitlement that was to me screeching chalk on a blackboard. She went to the Olympics and finished 7th, more than 20 points out of the medals. She was a USFS darling because of her name only--she got inflated marks to ensure she got whatever she wanted (except the 2007 National title which rightfully went to Meissner).

I didn't have that feeling about Emily Hughes at all. I never felt like she thought she was entitled to anything. She gave it her best shot, like everyone else.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
It isn't 12 days before the competition. It's November 15th in Japan and that's EIGHT days before the competition.

You're right. Sorry. I was going off the dates of the competition in the linked IN article, which has the event starting on November 26. I see now that it actually starts on the 23rd. Still, 8 days is much better than the 1-2 days notice some folks were predicting.

deedee1

Record Breaker
My personal posting philosophy is not to say anything I wouldn't say to that skater/coach/poster's face in person.

:bow::thumbsup::agree:

You have got my vote already, Mrs. P, if we are to have a thread like "The Posts of the Season on GS Forum Award" in 'The Voting Booth'! :yes:

Wishing Alissa a full recovery, not necessarily a speedy one! :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Czisny's comments on her withdrawal from NHK, as tweeted by Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil:

After withdrawing from NHK, Alissa Czisny just texted me: "I have no doubts whatsoever I will be ready and prepared for nationals"
8:48 AM - 14 Nov 12 ·

More from Alissa:"Withdrawal mostly a matter of not being able/wanting to push hip to prepare in time. Absolutely can't risk any setbacks"
8:51 AM - 14 Nov 12

Last bit from Alissa:"We are looking for a competition before nationals (even something local would be helpful)" BTW: Hip surgery was June 6
8:55 AM - 14 Nov 12​

(emphasis added)
Thanks for some hope in an otherwise depressing thread. I would very much like to see one of skating's best artists live at Omaha at least one more time. If I had Bill
Gates' money, I would fund a skating invitational where triple triples were banned and artistry was 2/3 of the score.

IleK

On the Ice
Me too:) I onestely didn't think Alissa will compete at NHK. I wanted badly to see her at least spinning if not doing anything else but on the other hand I didn't want another "world championships". It was a wise decision. This GP had no value for her, she couldn't qualify for the final then if not ready why compete? All that matters to her are the Nationals. I think she will not be able to make the podium with so many jumpers like Ashley, Gracie, Agnes, Gao. But I hope she will make the top 5 and we will see her next year in better shape and with 2 GP.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for some hope in an otherwise depressing thread. I would very much like to see one of skating's best artists live at Omaha at least one more time. If I had Bill
Gates' money, I would fund a skating invitational where triple triples were banned and artistry was 2/3 of the score.

Yes, I totally agree! Discovering Alissa at 2005 Skate America was one of the highlights of live skating attendance for me. Wishing her the best for a full recovery.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
She is such a nice person. I've talked to her and her mom before and the last time PaulE and I saw her "live" was when she showed up at Four Conts Colorado Springs last Feb to do some practice and take in the competition. You'd walk into the practice rink lounge and there she would be, doing amazing stretches by the fireplace. She has had some great accomplishments that no one expected in the last few years and I just want her to be healthy and have a great life. I would also like to see a texting competition between her and Ashley..that would be a close one!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Olympica, Remember those long beautiful spirals by MK? Now they take up too much time and get not enough points. And look at all the injuries.....

Yes, I remember them by MK, her inside outside edge change became the iconic move she was recognized for al over the world. Then Sasha did the perfect extension with her gumby body, the charlotte-stole MK's moves and then added spins and moves done by every female skate in every skate. So many just look done too quick and clumsily. Sasha was really an innovator for the famous and now so over used I spin and that spiral where she leans pack and extends upward the free leg. She is one of a few who look graceful doing it. Her toe points were the touch. Such perfect positions. Ah, an artist who fearedthe jumps.

zWell, Alissa has beautiful moves on ice and this was the right move for her. I think we all expected it, and I think it should have come earlier. When she could not do a little at a show, I think she should have withdrawn. My question is---is the time for NHK to give another skater a shot?

Yeah. Michelle would hold her spiral almost down the length of the rink, and change edges. Splendid. There are probably other skaters who could do that, except that these days there's no benefit to it, so they do all sorts of gyrations and rebalancing instead. Not nearly as musical as Michelle's or Sasha's.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yeah. Michelle would hold her spiral almost down the length of the rink, and change edges. Splendid. There are probably other skaters who could do that, except that these days there's no benefit to it, so they do all sorts of gyrations and rebalancing instead. Not nearly as musical as Michelle's or Sasha's.

Yes; I actually think most top skaters now COULD do it, but since they'd get onoc redit for it you can't blme them for taking a pass. It really is a pity. I miss real spirals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha was never able to do the full-length of the rink change edge spiral that Michelle could do, because with her leg held in that gumby position, she couldn't hold her edge for much of a distance.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sasha was never able to do the full-length of the rink change edge spiral that Michelle could do, because with her leg held in that gumby position, she couldn't hold her edge for much of a distance.

She usually lost speed because she wasn't on an edge. I always thought Sasha's spiral was overrated because it was an incredible flexibility move but not a very good skating move.

brightphoton

Medalist
Have you forgotten that only a few years ago in CoP, all female skaters were required to do a long spiral sequence with 3 position changes? So many complaints: it takes up too much time, choreographically uninteresting, predictable, encumbering, too many spirals, etc. There's no pleasing some people.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Have you forgotten that only a few years ago in CoP, all female skaters were required to do a long spiral sequence with 3 position changes? So many complaints: it takes up too much time, choreographically uninteresting, predictable, encumbering, too many spirals, etc. There's no pleasing some people.

I for one liked when spirals were a required element. I didn't complain about it and I preferred it 100% to now when no one does one at all.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem was very few spirals were of high quality. The great majority had major flaws: wobbling, ugly positions, etc. that made them seem even longer than they actually were.