Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Czisny Suffers Another Training Setback

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Olympica, Remember those long beautiful spirals by MK? Now they take up too much time and get not enough points. And look at all the injuries.....
    Yes, I remember them by MK, her inside outside edge change became the iconic move she was recognized for al over the world. Then Sasha did the perfect extension with her gumby body, the charlotte-stole MK's moves and then added spins and moves done by every female skate in every skate. So many just look done too quick and clumsily. Sasha was really an innovator for the famous and now so over used I spin and that spiral where she leans pack and extends upward the free leg. She is one of a few who look graceful doing it. Her toe points were the touch. Such perfect positions. Ah, an artist who fearedthe jumps.

zWell, Alissa has beautiful moves on ice and this was the right move for her. I think we all expected it, and I think it should have come earlier. When she could not do a little at a show, I think she should have withdrawn. My question is---is the time for NHK to give another skater a shot?

Custom Title
    Yeah. Michelle would hold her spiral almost down the length of the rink, and change edges. Splendid. There are probably other skaters who could do that, except that these days there's no benefit to it, so they do all sorts of gyrations and rebalancing instead. Not nearly as musical as Michelle's or Sasha's.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yeah. Michelle would hold her spiral almost down the length of the rink, and change edges. Splendid. There are probably other skaters who could do that, except that these days there's no benefit to it, so they do all sorts of gyrations and rebalancing instead. Not nearly as musical as Michelle's or Sasha's.
    Yes; I actually think most top skaters now COULD do it, but since they'd get onoc redit for it you can't blme them for taking a pass. It really is a pity. I miss real spirals.

Custom Title
    Sasha was never able to do the full-length of the rink change edge spiral that Michelle could do, because with her leg held in that gumby position, she couldn't hold her edge for much of a distance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Sasha was never able to do the full-length of the rink change edge spiral that Michelle could do, because with her leg held in that gumby position, she couldn't hold her edge for much of a distance.
    She usually lost speed because she wasn't on an edge. I always thought Sasha's spiral was overrated because it was an incredible flexibility move but not a very good skating move.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    She usually lost speed because she wasn't on an edge. I always thought Sasha's spiral was overrated because it was an incredible flexibility move but not a very good skating move.
    Agree. She lost a LOT of speed in her spirals.

Custom Title
    Have you forgotten that only a few years ago in CoP, all female skaters were required to do a long spiral sequence with 3 position changes? So many complaints: it takes up too much time, choreographically uninteresting, predictable, encumbering, too many spirals, etc. There's no pleasing some people.

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Have you forgotten that only a few years ago in CoP, all female skaters were required to do a long spiral sequence with 3 position changes? So many complaints: it takes up too much time, choreographically uninteresting, predictable, encumbering, too many spirals, etc. There's no pleasing some people.
    I for one liked when spirals were a required element. I didn't complain about it and I preferred it 100% to now when no one does one at all.

Custom Title
    The problem was very few spirals were of high quality. The great majority had major flaws: wobbling, ugly positions, etc. that made them seem even longer than they actually were.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7